Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roger Stone indicted and arrested
RE: Roger Stone indicted and arrested
The Sanders' voters who flipped did so because Sanders, like Trump, was an anti-establishment candidate. Many of Trumps more populist messages, about jobs, about health care, about safety, are not that different from Sanders' promises to tackle those same issues even if the method to do so are different, and there's a very good argument that the issues that exist in those areas are a result of the establishment setting the rules to their own benefit. Hillary on the other hand was very much an establishment candidate.

Of course, the major difference is that Sanders has had a long track record of fighting on these issues and calling for reform to the benefit of the population in general, while Trump was politically a complete unknown who, going by his business history, was not inclined to actually follow through. On any of his promises.
Oh, I've met a few Sanders voters who flipped over to Trump. If you're a populist who thinks that the state cabal is keeping the people like you out of power -- and you also think that's a bad thing -- then Trump looked like the better choice. The meme about the Clintons being corrupt insiders was about as common in the populist left wing as in the populist right wing.

One of the upsides of having run a counterculture political club in university is that I got to talk to everyone. The political extremes talked to us because they saw us poking holes in the deep state. And the moderates talked to us once they realized that we weren't extremists, just people looking for a little more logical consistency and caring in government. The extreme right wing and extreme left wing are not really all that different of people, they just have different boogeymen that they blame for all of the ills of the world. The Clintons managed to hit a unsweet spot of scarily nationalizing health care and while also scarily promoting free trade. Add a little Russian dressing, and yeah, Sanders supporters bailed to Trump.

The success of Democrats right now has not much to do with the leftist malcontents; we don't need to move them at all. It's that the moderates got activated, and came out to vote like crazy.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Don’t get me wrong. I can see the technicalities of it. What boggles my mind was that they never seemed to give much thought as to whether Trump would actually follow through with his promises, which turned out to be about as empty as a wasteland.

Which came as no surprise to me. So far, Trump has fulfilled every expectation that I’ve had of him. Including the Russian Collusion. Not even the bit about illegal immigrants working at his resort surprised me. “Pfft. Fucking figures,” I said to myself, and I passed the word along to here.
(01-28-2019, 09:10 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Don’t get me wrong. I can see the technicalities of it. What boggles my mind was that they never seemed to give much thought as to whether Trump would actually follow through with his promises, which turned out to be about as empty as a wasteland.

I think the operative part is that all they were concerned about was someone coming in who had absolutely no tie to the "deep state" and was willing to shake things up. They didn't particularly care WHAT sort of shaking up was going to happen. There's people who felt the shutdown was a completely good thing in that crowd, after all, because it "proved" to them that we don't need "the deep state".

(01-28-2019, 09:10 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Which came as no surprise to me. So far, Trump has fulfilled every expectation that I’ve had of him.  Including the Russian Collusion. Not even the bit about illegal immigrants working at his resort surprised me. “Pfft. Fucking figures,” I said to myself, and I passed the word along to here.

I was pretty sure once the "grab the p*ssy" comment came out that it was going to be a really rough ride for everyone, and he was going to do what was personally convenient without even consideration for political reality. Let's just say he's exceeded all of my expectations thus far.

And I agree with Labster; this is moderates realizing that they can't NOT vote. There is not only no percentage in not voting, but it's actually a very bad thing to not vote. Hopefully we won't be burnt to the ground before 2020 and those same moderates can show the Republicans that they haven't been able to gerrymander enough to keep doing what they've been doing.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
(01-28-2019, 10:43 PM)JFerio Wrote: There's people who felt the shutdown was a completely good thing in that crowd, after all, because it "proved" to them that we don't need "the deep state".

Well, in the sense that the "deep state" as they describe it doesn't actually exist, yes. Entirely unnecessary. Maybe if it did, electing a real-life Zaphod Beeblebrox Plus wouldn't be such an all-encompassing dumpster fire.
--
‎noli esse culus
Regardless, I have very little charity in my heart towards people that voted for Trump in the hopes that he'd "shake things up" and are unhappy about what they got.

What would I say if I met such a person?

"You voted for him because you thought he'd change things, never even thinking about exactly how he might do so. You damn well better show some appreciation for the shit-sandwich you ordered up, because the rest of us have to eat it as well."