Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What BlackAeronaut is Watching (Was Magical Girl Spec Ops)
RE: What BlackAeronaut is Watching (Was Magical Girl Spec Ops)
I believe that's 48 hours from the moment it's activated, so plan in advance. This is primarily a marketing ploy by CR to get more people into buying the premium service, so it's just enough to give people a taste.
On the MGSA topic -- I picked up the first four volumes of the manga at half-price from my local, apparently someone picked them up expecting standard mahou-shojou fare and was unpleasantly surprised. I will give a review once I've had a chance to look at them.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
(02-05-2019, 08:57 AM)ECSNorway Wrote: ...apparently someone picked them up expecting standard mahou-shojou fare and was unpleasantly surprised.

Snrk.  Can't imagine why. Tongue
Episode 5 of Rising of the Shield Hero is out.

And holy hell, Spear Hero and Princess Bitch stoop to all new lows.  And not even being called out on it by the Sword Hero and Archer Hero seems to ring any bells for this guy.

And Shield Hero gets a new addition to his lineup.  Cute little birdie?  Pretty Birdie?  BIG Birdie!?

[Image: 0e3.png]
Asuka is dangerous.

.... how do I get Asuka in Fenspace.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(02-08-2019, 07:22 PM)Dartz Wrote: Asuka is dangerous.

.... how do I get Asuka in Fenspace.

I'd probably reverse her origin story. Start her off as a soldier with spec-ops training, then drop her in a vat of goo lined with magical girl manga...
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Just got around to seeing Episode 6.

We had some much-much needed comedy relief and WAFF. Nothing really off the wall, but enough for a good laugh. Just hope that we don't have too much more of what we got in Episode 4 - that was very hard to watch.
MGSA Ep 7 is more action-oriented, but nothing like ep 5. We do get to meet the Russian magical girl, Phoenix Tamara - she's the white-haired one in the opening credits with the DBZ scouter headset - and get more of a look at how magitech stuff is spreading into the black market as Asuka and M-Squad take on an interworld smuggling operation.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

MGSA Episode 8: Asuka goes on a beach trip, while M-Squad gets assigned a diplomatic protection mission for upcoming inter-world trade talks, Kurumi interrogates the captured magical girl from ep 7 (with some dark moments, though not quite as dark as ep 5), and we get a brief flashback to the war. The Russian and American girls catch up with the main cast, and a crippled girl with an abusive father gets a visit from a strange masked figure offering her a prosthetic leg and a chance to become a Magical Girl...
Sucrose Octanitrate.

[Image: BVlBpSv.png]

Dodgy
--
‎noli esse culus
MGSA 9: Four of the Magical Five are finally gathered together, to take part in the trade summit with the other world. We meet the other world's General, a woman in quite the skimpy outfit whose bubbly, mothering personality reminds one strongly of Misaki Jurai. And our new magical girl with her prosthetic leg and her big masked friend launch their attack on the summit....
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Is it wrong that when I first read norway's update i saw i as END OF THE WORLD, aka a certain I fell over dead but just kept going Prince? Though I will further qualify said statement by saying said prince is viewed throug the lense of Eyrie Productions Unlimited.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I have two words for you, StarRanger4.

Magical. Karambit.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

So...

"That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime" has had a good run, and is definitely continuing from here, things look like they're going interesting places.

"Magical Girl Spec-Ops Asuka"... Jesus Fuck. I expected dark, but War Nurse is bleeping psycho. And she's supposed to be one of the heroes....

"Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai" continues to impress. Some new bits of worldbuilding start around ep 8, with a bit of a Lost City sort of thing going on. Possibly an exploration of what the heck caused the world to dry up so much. And a quick flashback for Kylie of the Infinite Inch-Thick Pancakes.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

So, Kotobuki is over. A satisfactory ending. Not all the mysteries of the setting are explained, but they've finished the story arc nicely and things are on course to the future.

Started watching 'Shojou Kageki Revue Starlight' last night. In a lot of ways it's Revolutionary Girl Utena for Theatre majors. No surprise, it's done by the same crew. (Very different art style, however, as they did not involve CLAMP this time.)
Sucrose Octanitrate.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum yet still something I think you might enjoy, BA, is Star Twinkle PreCure. I grabbed the episodes on spec as Overtime Subs released them, and finally got around to starting to watch today. First impressions: a) It's rayguns-amd-rockets space opera magical girls, and that's awesome! b) holy crap MC's mom is rocket fuel. Like, Houston are you reading a cabin fire over here? 'Cause I'm sure feeling the temperature rise. Even setting aside point b, this is the best a new Pretty Cure series has looked to me since they started using new main characters in each season instead of Nagisa and Honoka.
--
‎noli esse culus
"Space opera magical girls" dings a bunch of my buttons, CD, Imma gonna have to check that out.

Meanwhile I've been re-binging Girls und Panzer, and especially going over the movie about a dozen times. Why? Because it is sheer utter concentrated utterly ludicrously ridiculous total awesomeness.

Yes, the premise of "tank battles as a high school martial art sport" is utterly ludicrous. That's ok. The battles are well-done and well-animated, the heroines win by being smart and not by pulling surprises out of nowhere, and Miho's attitude towards "thinking outside the box" is delightful (it appears to start with 'set the box on fire'.)
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Ah yes. Girls und Panzer is absolutely priceless.

Saw the first first few episodes of Star Twinke. Keep in mind, this is my very first foray into Precure.

Dear God, it's like they took the villains right out of Shounen-protagonist show, and then gave the entire thing a bubblegum pop makeover. No seriously, this is like one of those American "For Girls" cartoons out of the eighties, only with better graphics and production values.

Are the rest of the Precure's like this?

In the meantime, as I mentioned over in the Music Videos forum, I've been slowly making my way through an anime called Flip Flappers.

It's everybit as odd as the name sounds.

You guys all remember Radical Edward, right?

One of the main characters is a lot like her - right on down to being a flaming redhead...

... EXCEPT THEY SOMEHOW MADE HER EVEN CUTER!!!

Trust me, you have to see it to believe it.
The original Futari wa Pretty Cure and the second season, Futari wa Pretty Cure MAX HEART, have a very similar feeling but less pastels IIRC. (e: and a VERY catchy theme song/remix, and less obnoxious transformation scene stock footage. I'm kinda iffy on the special attack being called "marvelous screw" for a couple of preteen girls, though... engrish strikes again I guess. It's subbed as "marble screw" at least some of the time, but that isn't much better.) The enemies are more typical supernatural/dark kingdom types, but the first one to appear is basically Anime Goblin King David Bowie, so that alone is worth checking it out. The combat is beautifully animated and often surprisingly physical and tactical rather than the genre standard of making speeches and blasting away with magic, and both sides get hit and show that it hurts. If not for the whole cute girls in bright costumes it really could be a shonen series. Sadly, while I did check out a the first few episodes of Splash Star and ... I forget the other one, something about flowers? ... they didn't impress me like the originals and Star Twinkle, which had me hooked from just the first few minutes.
--
‎noli esse culus
Today's Fate/Grand Order MVP: Irisviel Von Einzbern.
Little miss Healbot went out and tanked like a /boss/, last Servant standing, personally dealt the last 100k damage to the Event Boss.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

D'oh... Only now did I realize that the "Twin cool!" catchphrase in Star Twinkle PreCure is also a near hit for "twinkle." Am I just slow, or did other people miss that at first too?
--
‎noli esse culus
Finished a fun show: Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi. Basic plot: Girl gets kidnapped by Oni and dragged off to... an inn. A rather massive resort-type complex in 'The Hidden World', where Ayakashi/Youkai/whateveryouwannacallem live. Oni in question turns out to be a surprisingly civilized and gentlemanly sort... to whom her recently-deceased grandfather owed a rather ridiculous amount of money. She can either pony up the cash, or ... marry him. (And yes, she's like 21, a college student not a high-schooler.)

Needless to say, Aoi Tsubaki ain't havin' NONE of this. On the one hand, getting married to a guy who just dragged her off her front step is kinda skeevy. On the other, coming up with a perskillion bucks is not something a poor college student is gonna do off the top of her head. So after some tries at finding a place she can work with the other folks running the inn (who are none to happy to have this human butting in) she ends up finding a small, unused outbuilding with a rather nice kitchen setup, cooks herself a meal, shares it with a sympathetic local... and said local likes it. A lot. So she decides, what the heck, why not open a restaurant?

As luck would have it, she's actually quite a good cook, and (after a false start or two) things take off and she's wildly successful. She's making friends among the staff, the oni is remarkably less skeevy than first appearance and actually seems to like her, and we start detecting Plot Sign as various minor and not-so-minor things happen. The entire series is very slow-burn, gradually building up the romance between Aoi and the Oni, and by the time Major Plot happens, things are well on their way.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Oh yeah. That's a good one. The romance that develops between Aoi and The Master is a very lighthearted thing, with the two of them eventually poking all kinds of fun at each other.

What I also love was that Aoi's grandfather was apparently like this universe's Old Man Henderson, only with a heart of 100% pure gold and piped through an affable facade that smacks of genial and down-to-earth personalities like Walter Cronkite. And he is dearly missed by quite a few people in the Hidden World, even though he was a pain in the ass at times.

Said Ayakashi also tend to comment on just how much Aoi reminds them of her Grandfather because she's got that same fire in her belly that he did.

Also, I can't help but wonder if this is also a commentary on Japan's general xenophobia, what with Aoi being snubbed everywhere she goes for being a Human first, an outsider second, and then thirdly "That damn old fart's granddaughter".
Yeah. Apparently there is a light novel series, I'm keeping my eyes out for a translation.

Another novel series I've recently started is "The Magic In This Other World Is Too Far Behind!". At first it comes off like a standard isekai -- three teenagers are summoned to another world, one of them is the hero, one is the girl, and the hero is supposed to defeat the Demon Lord.

Reiji, the Hero, is all for it, shonen hero all the way, and throws himself into things enthusiastically.
Mizuki, the Girl, is right there alongside him, crushing on him, learning magic to fight alongside him, and so on.

Suimei, isekai-jin number 3... is Not Happy. He thinks the whole 'defeat the demon lord' quest is suicidally stupid and just wants to go home. He refuses to go and gets very upset when he learns that they don't have a way to send the kids home, so he sulks around the castle while the others train and such.

Now, in most stories, this would be the guy who eventually gets co-opted by the villains to turn up by surprise as an antagonist to the Hero round about 2/3rds of the way through the story. Kind of like Yui Hongo in Fushigi Yuugi.

Nope. Suimei is, in fact, the protagonist. This is his story. You see... as you've probably guessed from the title... he's a mage. Reiji and Mizuki, like most of the general population, have no clue about this, because The Masquerade. And Suimei isn't interested in letting on to anyone that he is, because he doesn't want them finding out.

Nope, he's gonna do his own thing, and set everything up so that -- if Reiji and Mizuki survive -- he'll have a way home ready and waiting for them when it's over. And he's swiftly discovering that Earthly magics are centuries more advanced than the other world's.

Needless to say, he's a shonen protagonist, the plot ain't gonna let it be that easy for him.

This series has been released on Kindle for a while by J-Novel Club, but they're finally doing a hardcopy release.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

So, yeah, not exactly necro since actual new content!

Been binge-watching Shokugeki no Souma lately, aka "Food Wars". This is the tale of young Yukihira Souma, a teenage chef at a little diner somewhere in Tokyo. After successfully defending the place from an ambitious developer and her thugs, Souma expects life to go back to normal. ... No such luck. His dad is closing down the diner and taking off for a year or two to help a friend get a restaurant going in, like, New York City, or somewhere like that. He's arranged for Souma to be transferred to a top-ranked culinary school while he's away.

And when he says "top ranked", he means "TOP ranked". Toutsuki Academy is apparently the premiere culinary institute in the entire world, with graduates capable of feats of gourmet that would leave the most refined palate staggered. Competition is ruthless and the class is frequently winnowed out: Out of 1000 students entering 10th grade, it is expected that the final graduating class might be in double digits. Maybe. And any dispute can be settled with a cook-off. Needless to say, the student body does not take well to Souma's announcement that he's going to 'use you all as stepping-stones to the top'. Rivalries follow, naturally, and Shenanigans Ensue.

What actually got me into it was a series of Youtube videos that I came across while noodling over cooking stuff, 'Chef Reacts' (channel: CHEFPK). This is an actual professional chef who goes through episode by episode, showing his reactions as he watches it, and his commentary on the food and on the corporate/professional environment.

Despite its violence-free nature, this is not a show I'd recommend for younger viewers. Since the media cannot depict the taste of the food directly, we are treated to overwhelmingly exaggerated depictions of taste-testers' reactions to it, frequently involving literal foodgasms, people bursting out of their clothes, being assaulted by the food, etc. Chefs engaged in a cook-off are often depicted as duelling rivals from one or another homage source, as well, which makes for an occasional bit of humor.

All in all it's a fun show, worth taking a look especially if you're a foodie.

Of last season's anime:

Danmachi season 2: Felt a bit rushed, but more fun adventures for Bell Cranel, Hestia, and their friends. Fun.

Arifureta: An entire class gets isekai'd. During a dungeon delve one of them (who ended up with an apparent sucktastic character class) gets dropped off a bridge and left for dead. The story mostly follows him as he minmaxes his class (mostly offscreen, unfortunately). builds effective weaponry, rescues a cute vampire girl, delves to the very bottom of the dungeon to discover its secrets, and emerges to have even more adventures as Edgy McEdgelord. To borrow a meme, this guy is "Spacebattler Competance" embodied.

Lord El-Melloi Case Files: Fate/Stay Night fans who want to delve more into the series lore, or Fate/Zero fans who want the further adventures of Waver Velvet, will like this a lot, it delves into the adventures of a grown-up Waver as he teaches at the Clock Tower and investigates murder mysteries. Highly recommended.
Sucrose Octanitrate.