Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020, the election campaigns have begun
RE: 2020, the election campaigns have begun
What worries me is the sheer number of people asking for the military to intervene. As if opening that particular door will end in something else other than tears.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(08-16-2020, 02:16 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-16-2020, 12:36 PM)Dartz Wrote: On at least 2 scenarios, January 20th arrives with no clear winner in the White House,

There's a line of succession: President (would be vacant), Vice-President (would be vacant), Speaker of the House (would still be Pelosi if they haven't met and selected a new Speaker).

So... the Dems would have control, if only temporarily.

Not necessarily.

If the election for the president is uncertain the election for members of the Congress of the United States may also still be uncertain. Including the seat for the current Speaker of the House. Because the Congress is constituted before the President is sworn in, but no elected representatives of the people of the United States also means no House of Representatives.

The next US president might be the president pro tempore of the Senate instead, which would have to be one of the 66/67 still seated senators and traditionally is assigned by vote to either the oldest or the longest serving senator, I'm not sure which. Or any other senator, in accordance with the line of succession.
Legal Eagle - can the President cancel the Election and what would happen

starts talking about who would take over around the 13:40 mark
Anybody who thought the postal service wasn't an election issue, here is your wake-up call.

AP: House called back in session to work on postal service legislation
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
An article in Politico that asks: What if there is no swing voter?
Quote: “The idea that there is this informed, engaged American population that is watching these political events and watching their elected leaders and assessing their behavior and making a judgment.”

“And it is just not true.”
An Unsettling New Theory: There Is No Swing Voter
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Having met a few swing voters, they seem like the least informed of the bunch, and the most likely to skip voting. There are some people for whom this is not true, when they generally have conflicting values. Latino Roman Catholics, for instance, tend to agree with the conservative stance on abortion but the liberal stance on economics and minority rights. Some of them can't really decide which is more important, so they evaluate each candidate. Those are rare.

The education and engagement level does matter. We had several elections in California where the only Republican that could win statewide office was running for Governor. People didn't bother to vote down-ballot.

The turnout model is absolutely true in the case of Trump. I've haven't met anyone who hasn't made up their mind about him by this point. Not just America, but worldwide. I'm sure I could find some North Sentinelese who cried out "Fuck Donald Trump!" before he impaled me with his spear for trespassing on his fucking island.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
And I just realized that we've gone more than 300 messages on this thread. Time to start a "2020 Elections part II".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
New thread is new
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown