RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Fourth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Oh, this somebody gets on the first try... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RWBY I've been watching since it started, but anime... my knowledge is pretty hit or miss, and most of the hits are from the 80s and 90s...
But you didn't guess which beowolf.  His name is Jim, and he's the leader of Pack Seaslug.  He didn't pick the pack name.

RWBY season 1 Wrote:Grimm are a manifestation of anonymity

Oh, well, never mind.

I never said she was from anime.  I was hoping someone would guess Gidget or Veronica Mars or something, but no one ever did.  But yes she did appear in anime.

But I think the main problem is that there is a trick to figuring it out, just like a murder mystery.  People have already given up here when I know they have all of the knowledge to figure it out.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Welp.  Just came up with a little bit more for the Halloween Party.  A while back the idea was floated that Jareth might show up, and that idea never really left my noggin, sooooo......

(This would take place immediately after they got back home with the trick-or-treaters and he's made the initial introductions.)

After Ben had made his rounds, he politely excused himself so he could get a few minutes to himself.  After closing his door behind him and locking it, he went and plunked himself down in his sectional sofa and let a long and tired sigh.

Discovering the Takamachis had been... Intense.

No, get it right, stupid, thought Ben ruefully to himself.  Seeing Nanoha...  Holy crap, what was that!?  He thought back to that one moment where his and her eyes had met the first time and how they simply stared at each other for the longest moment.

Ben was no stranger to these things.  It'd happen a at least one other time in his life - he knew that's what it was for certain because he'd started dating that girl several months after that incident.

But little Nanoha?

WHAT.  THE.  FUCK.

He knew that he'd love the girl.  She was kind, brave, passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, and bold.  But most of all, just so very kind and loving.  She wore her heart on her sleeve and never gave two shits about it.  She was a girl that he knew he could spend hours just talking about whatever happened to come to mind.  But Ben never imagined that there would have been that sudden lightning-strike impression between the two of them.  It was just so far out there.  Why him?  Why her?

He sighed to himself.  Fucking Murphy.  Not only did she have Fate already, but she was still a child.

It was always something like that.  Too young, too old, or already taken.  Benjamin's match was a young woman with a wickedly sharp mind and a kind and caring demeanor, but not afraid of cracking jokes.  Or to stand up for herself and call others - especially him - out on their bullshit.

That type never stayed on the market for long - they were in short supply, and most men were well aware of what kind of treasures such women were.

"Quite a dilemma you seem to have on your hands," said a smooth, cultured, and accented voice.  Ben nearly started, moving upright as soon as he heard the voice.  Sitting across from him in the easychair with his legs crossed was David Bowie wearing Mamoru's costume.  "The Takamachi girl is quite young.  Too young, really.  But events in the past have caused her to mature to a startling degree despite her young age.  And I don't just mean her recent adventures.  I will say this much about you: you at least have her best interests in mind."

Ben blinked as a beat passed.

"You're the Goblin King," said Ben.

Jareth inclined his head.  "Of course, my reputation precedes me."  He then got up and began to pace around as one of his crystal balls appeared in a and he began to roll it smoothly up, down, over, and around his fingers with his unnatural-seeming deftness.  "I can understand what you're thinking now - What does this person want from me?"  Jareth then smiled at Ben.  "For one thing, you needn't worry.  I have no designs for any of the young ones here.  Nor do I have any designs for you."

Ben rolled his eyes.  "Well that's a relief," he said sarcastically, then sighed.  "Okay.  I'm gonna need some sugar in my system if I'm going to cope.  May I offer you a drink?"

"Something cold would be appreciated," said Jareth.  "It is quite warm here - particularly for the time of year."

"It's not all that unseasonable for this place," said Ben as he opened the refrigerator and retrieved a pair of Big Red sodas in their retro-style bottles, then opened both using a bottle opener.  "Sometimes it stays warm all through winter.  I often tell people that their summer wardrobe never really gets put away around here."

"Quite," said Jareth with a smile as he accepted the offered soda and then took a pull at the bottle.  "Hmm.  Very sweet.  Children must adore this."

"It's a summertime favorite in these parts," said Ben lackadaisically.  "If you ever want to make a native Texan happy when they're away from home, hand them one of these and watch their eyes bug out."

Jareth smiled.  "Indeed.  Well then, to business, Mr. Rhodes.  I have been informed that you are very much aware of a problem I have."

"A problem that happens to have the name of Sarah," said Ben, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes.  I understand your reticence, but I do not intend to ask anything so uncouth as to do anything to trick or deceive her."

Ben nodded at that.  "I see then.  In that case, your Majesty, please go on."

"Thank you.  What I seek, Mr. Rhodes, is advice.  While I have indeed watched Sarah quite closely, I am afraid that even now she is still a mystery to me."

Ben raised an eyebrow.  "Don't tell me that you want me to be your own personal Cyrano de Bergerac."

Jareth scoffed merrily.  "Of course not, dear man!  I have no intention of being shot - ever - just as surely as you don't intend to die of something as ignominious as a log being felled upon your head!  No, what I desire is insight into her character, and advice as to how I should pursue her."

Ben scoffed as well.  "Evidentally you haven't seen how my life has been - ignominious fortune is a fair description.  As to Sara, though..."  Ben thought for a moment why Jareth patiently waited.

"She's a firebrand," said Ben.  "And I'm sure you've noticed that."

"It is one of the things I appreciate about her," replied Jareth matter-of-factly.

Ben nodded and continued.  "Well, in your dealings with her, you need to keep that in mind.  She has pride enough to sit at your side, for certain.  But there's the thing - she has that pride.  And it's not going to let her just simply acquiesce to being your bride.  If she is going to be yours, then you need to be hers - she absolutely must have equality.  What is yours is hers as well, and with all the implications that goes with it."

"I see," said Jareth thoughtfully.  "The thought had occurred to me, though perhaps I had been somewhat too vague about what I was offering her."

Ben nodded again.  "Maybe.  But another thing to consider is that Sarah is young, even by human standards.  And while it is one thing to read and fantacise about romance, when it actually happens it's not exactly what one expects.  The simple fact of the matter is that you tried too hard too fast, and her being as young as she is, it frightened her.  If, instead, you had appeared to her as a normal person and, over time, won her heart, then you perhaps would have been able to reveal your true self to her.

Ben sighed and went on, "Instead, you must now perform damage control.  The upshot here is that later on in life, she will be able to thank you for the experience she had in running your Labyrinth.  It not only helped her grow as a person, but she also gained many wonderful friends along the way.  And while there was some negative experiences, it was exactly that which helped her grow.

"For now, I suggest you write her a letter and apologize profusely.  She's not so prideful that she won't read it.  And as long as you are heartfelt and honest in your apology...  Well, she may not forgive you right away, but she will eventually.  And make sure you describe yourself and your actions using words that Hoggle would say about you when he thinks you can't hear him."  Ben grinned and winked at this.  "Trust me.  It'll get a laugh out of her."

Jareth barked a laugh himself.  "Of course she would.  And what then?"

Ben smiled.  "Then?  The slow and easy approach.  Don't crowd her or pressure her.  But instead, give her a token - something that she will tell her that you are serious when you say the following: that no matter what, where, why, how, and when, if she ever needs help with anything at all, then she only needs to call on you.  And as an aside, if she is ever feeling heartbroken, make sure that one of her friends from the Labyrinth goes to her with your blessings."

Jareth nodded as he took that all in with a thoughtful expression.  "And you're certain this will have a better effect?"

Ben shrugged.  "Beats sitting outside her bedroom window and learing at her," he stated glibly.

Jareth took the shot at his pride with a laugh.  "Quite true, that."  He then got up, saying, "I know that to you, it may seem out of character of me, but believe it or not I do appreciate your advice, Benjamin.  And as such, I would like to extend to you a token of my gratitude."  He then made one of his crystal balls appear in his hand and offered it to Ben.  "Ask me for a favor, and I shall give it honest consideration."

Ben frowned thoughtfully at that.  "There may come a time when I need to protect a young one.  If such a time comes and I'm unable to protect them myself, my I wish that child away to you until the danger is past?  I'll even run the Labyrinth to get them back."

Jareth smiled warmly at Benjamin.  "Good sir, if your utmost concern is the safety and wellbeing of a child, I will gladly keep them safe for you.  You won't even need to run the Labyrinth.  However, if you wish to do it solely for sport, Me and Mine Own will certainly not mind."

Ben smiled and accepted the crystal ball.  "Thank you, your Majesty," said Ben with a courtley bow.

"Though are you certain you do not need help of another nature?" said Jareth with a coy grin.  "The Takamachi girl seems to be quite taken with you."

Ben groaned and Jareth laughed merrily.

"It could be nothing," said the Goblin King.  "These young ones usually grow out of these infatuations."  His expression then turned sober, but not unkind.  "But make no mitake, Benjamin.  You've made quite the impression on her, and unless I missed my guess, she on you as well.  Take it from someone who knows what it is to be smitten with a younger lady."

"She's still just a child, though," said Benjamin.

"Very true," replied Jareth with a sage nod of his head.  "But that is the beauty of it.  If this isn't just a passing infatuation, then she will change herself to suit you.  Normally, this could be very dangerous, but I know that you being the man you are, you will strive to keep her mind free and open, and remind her that she must put herself first."

"And Fate?" asked Ben.

Jareth smiled knowingly and put a hand on Ben's shoulder.  "You and miss Testarossa are already far closer than you imagine.  But that's enough from me.  And you have a party you need to attend to."

Ben sighed and rolled his yes.  "Yeah, yeah.  I can only imagine how it's got to be for you, dealing with Goblin Nobility."

"You night be surprised," said Jareth with a grin.  "Even if they're nobility, they're still Goblins.  And Goblins know how to have fun if nothing else."

"Dance magic, dance, baby?" said Ben with a grin.

"That is just the tip of the proverbial ice berg.  Now, go on.  Your guests are waiting for you."

Sooo, whatcha think?
You'd mentioned doing this, so it isn't a surprise. I am wondering whether the Halloween Party story is the right time for it, though - that story is already overfull and I still need to add a sparring scene to it in order for scenes that follow it to make sense.

We have a Christmas Party story that has barely been touched. Move the scene from one corner of the year to another? It would take some re-writing... and some edges to the scene that make sense at Halloween wouldn't make sense at Christmas, so maybe not.

Had a thought that would open a huge can of worms if I put it into the story... but isn't it the point of a deconstruction to open cans of worms?

Not going to share it just yet, because it also affects Labster's stories and I don't want to step on toes. I PMed him over the weekend. If we both decide to go with it, then I'll share.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Brent looked over to Usagi standing at Mamoru's side, and pointed her out to Sousuke Sagara, remarking "She reminds me of the babe."

Tomo queried, "What babe?"

"The babe with the power."

"What power?"

"The power of Moon-dew."

"Who do?"

"She do."

"Do what?"

"Reminds me of the babe."

"What babe?"

"No, What's on second."

Tomo argued, "I'm not asking you who's on second!"

"Who's on first."

"That's what I'm asking you!" she was exasperated. "Who's on first?"

Yomi grabbed the confused soldier by the shoulder and turned him away.  "They'll stop if you ignore them."
Note to self: this fanart could probably inspire a story in Arc 1.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-29-2019, 07:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: You'd mentioned doing this, so it isn't a surprise. I am wondering whether the Halloween Party story is the right time for it, though - that story is already overfull and I still need to add a sparring scene to it in order for scenes that follow it to make sense.

We have a Christmas Party story that has barely been touched. Move the scene from one corner of the year to another? It would take some re-writing... and some edges to the scene that make sense at Halloween wouldn't make sense at Christmas, so maybe not.

Yeah - not Christmas-y material. It's in the Halloween Party document now.

(07-29-2019, 07:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: Had a thought that would open a huge can of worms if I put it into the story... but isn't it the point of a deconstruction to open cans of worms?

Not going to share it just yet, because it also affects Labster's stories and I don't want to step on toes. I PMed him over the weekend. If we both decide to go with it, then I'll share.

This is also somewhere on the wiki now, marked as a draft. If it does happen, somebody's going to learn about the Law of Unintended Consequences.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Er, sorry, I've been thinking about a different character today.  I'm hanging out here in Bohemia, and after passing the elaborate town clock, I went off to see a performance of Swan Lake.  This wasn't the best possible version, but all of the big companies are on vacation here in Prague.  So instead of the fancy concert hall, it was in a communist-era theatre, which is appropriate as they also performed the commie happy end version.

Still, the prima was pretty good, and it feels like good background for my writing.  Because at some point I decided it wasn't hard enough to write, so let's import a character with dance battles.

Quote:I have no designs for any of the young ones here.

I think Akari is no longer present at the party at this point.  Just FYI.
(07-29-2019, 07:28 AM)Labster Wrote: Brent looked over to Usagi standing at Mamoru's side, and pointed her out to Sousuke Sagara, remarking "She reminds me of the babe."

"What power?"

"The power of Moon-dew."

"Who do?"

"She do."

"Do what?"

"What babe?"

"No, What's on second."

"Who's on first."

Yomi grabbed the confused soldier by the shoulder and turned him away.  "They'll stop if you ignore them."

If/when James hears this exchange he facepalms, "Abbot and Costello do not Magic Dance"
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(07-30-2019, 09:03 PM)Rajvik Wrote:
(07-29-2019, 07:28 AM)Labster Wrote: Brent looked over to Usagi standing at Mamoru's side, and pointed her out to Sousuke Sagara, remarking "She reminds me of the babe."

"What power?"

"The power of Moon-dew."

"Who do?"

"She do."

"Do what?"

"What babe?"

"No, What's on second."

"Who's on first."

If/when James hears this exchange he facepalms, "Abbot and Costello do not Magic Dance"

And that's in the story doc now, too.

Along with a slight change:
Quote:Yomi got the attention of the confused soldier and gestured he should turn away. "They'll stop if you ignore them."
Because I expect everybody will have been warned about the hair-trigger that Soskue has been on for years.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah originally I was thinking of doing it directly to Usagi. But then I thought that she’d obviously know the source of her own costume. So it was searching for a more hapless target. Jayne seemed amusing, he’d just give that look though. All my apartments are used to the antics and would just laugh. Anti would note she cannot be trapped in a logic loop. But Sagara, now that’s hapless! And he hadn’t yet spoke in the story.
The timeframe for Ben and Jareth's meeting was just after the Trick-or-Treaters had returned with their spoils. Nanoha and Fate had just arrived on Ben's heels because the Takamachis followed them in their own car. Nanoha and Fate both being under 11 years old would count, I think.
(08-01-2019, 06:43 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: The timeframe for Ben and Jareth's meeting was just after the Trick-or-Treaters had returned with their spoils.  Nanoha and Fate had just arrived on Ben's heels because the Takamachis followed them in their own car.  Nanoha and Fate both being under 11 years old would count, I think.

I think I put it in the right place in the story, then. (And we'll need to add a "Hello Nanoha and Fate" scene or mention to the story, too.)

Asking yet again for prereading of what exists- this is one reason why.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
finally got a chance to read the Halloween write up, and i only saw a couple of things that need fixing, or rather, 1 fix, and a couple of things i need to write i guess. The fix is that Pensacola is in the Central time zone
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

I'm going to need to throw in a few smaller bits myself - namely Ben conceiving the idea and pitching it to his residents before pitching it to the other apartment managers.

Although something I noticed is that this bit here hasn't been included yet...
http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/s...#pid179596
(08-04-2019, 11:49 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I'm going to need to throw in a few smaller bits myself - namely Ben conceiving the idea and pitching it to his residents before pitching it to the other apartment managers.

Although something I noticed is that this bit here hasn't been included yet...
http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/s...#pid179596

Okay, I found a place for it. Wasn't easy, considering how many scenes Ben was already involved in.

EDIT: And I just had a thought. Maybe Mamoru, Chibi-Usa, Artemis, Luna, and Diana turning up at Westwoods is why Ben decided to have a party? It would let everybody know that they're here. (And how do Mamoru &c. show up? Do they get dropped on the doorstep, does Sasami notice them, does Chidori-san notice them, do they show up some other way?)

RE-EDIT: And I've done some story-arc welding. No doubt there's still some more to be done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, that's about where I figured it ought to go. At some point here, I'll go through there to add in the missing bits in the beginning and tidy things up.
I had an evil plotbunny hop through my head over the weekend, and am finally in the right frame of mind to write it up.

The displacees wake up to the news that a reasonably important figure has been murdered. The crime took place near one of the displacees' cities, but not in the particular city. The next day's news shows that reporters have discovered the dead person had ties to a group that the police had been watching.

Then it happens again to someone else, relatively near but not in a different displacees' city. Same M.O. Different murder weapon. Same revelation that the victim had underworld ties.

Then it happens again, in another city. Same M.O. again. The murder weapon was different again. But this time, a security camera recorded a girl about Sasami/Sakura/Ruiko's age carrying a violin case leaving the scene.

In the meantime, HAL, Piffle, and maybe Washuu-chan have noticed that it's become slightly more difficult to purchase hardware that can be used to make powered prosthetics; somebody's buying up enough existing stock to keep a dozen or so high-conversion cyborgs maintained.

Then somebody - Sosuke, Misato, a Misaka Sister, somebody else with more than just a passing familiarity with firearms - notices a girl in his or her own city, carrying a case that most people would think is normal but to that particular trained observer's eye probably holds a firearm. She's headed for a fancy hotel, one that somebody else had previously noticed was the temporary residence of a politician who had been making a nuisance of herself to both/all of the political parties lately...

So, yeah: Gunslinger Girl has appeared in the Metacontinuity. The girls themselves are as much victims as (for example) Sakura Matou in Fate/stay night is, but that doesn't make them any less dangerous, or any less likely to want nothing to do with the displacees in the existing residences.

What do we do? Let's assume people act quickly enough to save that politician's life. After that... SI-Rob is under a geas to be a Hero and Usagi doesn't need a geas to be one, so they'll suggest rescuing the girls from their current lives. The Misaka Sisters will suggest taking them out, hard and fast, and don't risk anybody's life trying to rescue the girls. Mii will want to bring the people responsible for the girls' condition to justice, securing the girls as witnesses (saying they're not guilty of their crimes because of coercion). There are other options, of course, but those are the first three that would come up at Blossom.

No matter which option is chosen, it won't be perfect. It might not even be a good option.

Brent, Gunslinger Girl is definitely not your type of story. If you haven't already seen the anime, don't bother looking for it... unless you really want to watch something that your SI would want to protect Sakura and Akari from.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm all for it.  We can go ahead and and do that as the prelude to the season finale.

In fact, we can probably have it that all the while, Dr. Heinz Doofenschmirtz has been popping up lately on HAL's Watch List, but with the Gunslinger Girls out and about, he's regarded as harmless in relation to the young combat cyborgs.

The girls can all be sent to Westwinds - Ben will have the room for them.  Not only that, Ben wouldn't dream of completely rehabilitating them.  Doing that would mean tampering with their memories, and he'd rather not go that far.  Instead, he'd do what he does best - after Washu repairs their bodies, he'd give them a chance to be themselves so they can grow up to be actual people.  And between Sousuke and Kyouya, they'd be able to do them justice by helping them keep their skills sharp without devaluing them as people.

Whatcha think?
I'm thinking that "what are we going to do with these girls, and what do we do about their handlers" isn't a solution we can reach in a single story.

If we don't get everybody, all at once, then they're just going to hole up and very carefully find some more girls who won't be missed to turn into more brainwashed combat cyborgs. And they're too smart to be taken all at once. Sure, we could rescue Henrietta or Rico or Claes or Angelica or Triela, but that doesn't help the next homeless or orphaned or severely-crippled girl.

And the girls have been sufficiently brainwashed that they don't want to be rescued. In fact, they'd see any attempt as a kidnapping and fight against it... and they are superhuman combat cyborgs. EDIT: And we only need to look what happened to Claes in canon to see what happens to the girls when they're separated from their handlers.

My thought was they'd be an ongoing issue that nobody knows how to deal with, and (almost) nobody wants to simply kill to stop.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-06-2019, 08:26 PM)robkelk Wrote: Brent, Gunslinger Girl is definitely not your type of story. If you haven't already seen the anime, don't bother looking for it... unless you really want to watch something that your SI would want to protect Sakura and Akari from.

So what is this Gunslinger Girl show about?  From the title it sounds like Girls und Panzer with firearms in a school club, that sounds cool.

* Labster looks at ATT page

OK, so that ruined my morning.  It kind of makes the Hansel and Gretel storyline in Black Lagoon seem tame by comparison.  Not sure why anyone would want to write this kind of story.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to having to sit through this series.

Hey, Rob? Here's an idea. Have it be that AMALGAM took over the organization that controls the girls. Whatcha think?
So, back on the guessing game for a moment.  At the conference I got a chance to talk to a guy who told me about a game he was GMing.  He tends to get pushed to running the game, as he tend to figure out game system tricks more readily than other players.

Anyway, there was one game where the characters start off dead, and have to work in a team for the Endless (yes, those Endless) to pay off the debt from their lives.  And then he described how on the first mission, there was already another team that hated their guts, and eventually got to the reason why they did.  Of course, I had figured out the reason from the beginning, because I pulled the exact same trick on you people.  The answer has always been in plain sight, if you can just understand what you're seeing.
(08-07-2019, 08:18 AM)Labster Wrote: OK, so that ruined my morning.

I thought I had given sufficient warning... Sorry about that.

(08-07-2019, 04:02 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Yeah, I'm not looking forward to having to sit through this series.

Hey, Rob?  Here's an idea.  Have it be that AMALGAM took over the organization that controls the girls.  Whatcha think?

That would explain why they're active outside of Italy. I like.

And if nobody else has seen the series, then I can simply use the girls as recurring antagonists in Ottawa. (EDIT: You know how some shows are guilty pleasures? This one's my guilty not-a-pleasure-at-all: it's so well-written, but the subject matter...)

(08-07-2019, 06:37 PM)Labster Wrote: So, back on the guessing game for a moment.  At the conference I got a chance to talk to a guy who told me about a game he was GMing.  He tends to get pushed to running the game, as he tend to figure out game system tricks more readily than other players.

Anyway, there was one game where the characters start off dead, and have to work in a team for the Endless (yes, those Endless) to pay off the debt from their lives.  And then he described how on the first mission, there was already another team that hated their guts, and eventually got to the reason why they did.  Of course, I had figured out the reason from the beginning, because I pulled the exact same trick on you people.  The answer has always been in plain sight, if you can just understand what you're seeing.

Maybe we should give a few more hints in this thread... Oh, look, this is post #300. Time for a new thread. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown