Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
RE: Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
I mentioned this in the quotes thread a few hours ago, but now it's going here: Not Your Average Henchwoman

Post-series Taylor Hebert, healed up, fitted with a prosthetic arm, and with her power reset to original specs, is the Mercy Graves to Lex's sane younger sister in Arrowverse TV series Supergirl. I've never seen the show or read any other fanfic (I tried a couple chapters but couldn't get into Administrative Mishap) so I have no idea how well that material is being handled, but as a story in its own right damn is it well written. What specifically prompted me to give the rec is actually an OC, a friend to an extra who died off-camera, and how real and alive he (and everyone else) feels. Seriously, it's good stuff on a level you rarely see from professional work let alone fanfic.

36k in nine chapters currently. Link is to the first page of the thread on SB.
--
‎noli esse culus
Well, this was a surprise.

After nearly eight years of radio silence, Gabriel Blessing has re-emerged with a 60k one-shot:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14068349/1/...Girl-Quest (High School DxD/Monster Girl Quest--Luka as a comrade of the New Maou, returning from self-imposed exile in MGQ setting as DxD canon kicks off)
42=19
I was reading this one during my break at work and it impressed me.

Reflections on Trust by Eirinar - Harry Potter - https://archiveofourown.org/bookmarks/997955491

Quote:He's been trapped in the Mirror of Erised all this time, and finally someone has come with the right thoughts in mind to see him.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Found this one a couple of days ago and is very well written:

Naruto/Game of Thrones crossover: Of Steel and Chakra

During a mission TenTen gets tagged by an explosion that somehow deposits her North of the Wall. After making her way to Winterfell, she manages to get hired as a bodyguard for Sansa and Arya.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Something reminicent of Chris Dee's Cat Tales:

https://www.webtoons.com/en/slice-of-lif...isode_no=1
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
That's not a fanfic you're recommending, that's official content Tongue
The Second Flowering of Yggdrasil: An Analysis Of The Norse Resurgence, 1710 Wrote:An additional factor in Berk’s meteoric rise was the combined facts that they had a rapid means of transportation and transit across Europe, and an extremely attractive environment for skilled and trained individuals. It was fairly common for scholars, artists, and craftsmen of all types to emigrate specifically to take advantage of the basic living welfare while they focused on their crafts and studies, and do additional work to gain the supplies and materials they needed in their pursuits. And while some certainly fixated on their own pursuits with dogged narrowmindedness to the exclusion of all else, others leapt at the chance to put their skills to use in order to serve their new home. Many became teachers, passing on knowledge of their crafts, while others used their disciplines more directly in the service of their new state. The resulting human capital flight strengthened Berk and the North Sea Empire significantly, with noted contributions to production, culture, economics, and other areas all coming from people who had made the deliberate choice to emigrate.

That epigraph was written by the A Thing of Vikings author himself for one of his proofreaders, Croc from Spain, whom he trusted enough to let write the first authorized ATOV side-story, a little yarn that could only be called Una Nueva Espada Para Una Nueva Era.

Mr_Crocodile Wrote:When Hiccup tamed dragons over on Berk, he changed the world and the course of history, affecting people all over. For some of those people, this change will redirect their entire lives into a new direction. A wandering smith can become a student, and a man with no place in the world can find one, and then find another.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/39469872
Alivaril has posted a new Sanctioned spinoff, this time placing QA-driving-Taylor's-body in the world of Administrative Mishap, itself already a Worm fusion with a different QA driving a post-GM Taylor's body. Three chapters so far, featuring typical Alivaril/Sanctioned fun.

Unsanctioned (SV link)
--
‎noli esse culus
Luke and Leia's Excellent Adventure by LPK9
Chapter 1 Wrote:Author Note: I intend this one to be short, like 3 or 4 chapters. We've already wiped out Palpatine so, yeah...

Standing at 59 chapters as of 2022-06-01, this is a time travel fix-it where the twins pop into the Jedi Council chamber just as Chancellor Palpatine is being briefed on Obi-wan's upcoming mission to Utapau, tracking down General Grievous. Shenanigans, hijinks, and tomfoolery ensue as they find that time is not so easy to change. Fully deserving of the meme mutation "Such plan! Very Skywalker! Wow!"

(But Kit Fisto still gets punked, dammit. It really is not easy being green...) Unfortunately only on FFn, as far as I've been able to determine.

edit: I suppose I should note that LPK9 has a serious hate for Jar Jar, as in "has him stumble into a trash compactor and die; reactions range from none to relief." It doesn't generally come up, but there are a segment or two that go back far enough that he's (briefly) present. I'd have preferred a Phantom Edit approach that just leaves him out as it makes for rather jarring OOC interruptions, but with the overall quality of the fic otherwise I can overlook it.
--
‎noli esse culus
Argentorum's God Save the Queen just got its pwn thread, along with a fourth chapter. That's the one where Taylor Hebert is reborn as Padme Amidala Naberrie, and if that don't get ya clickin' over there pronto I don't know what else I can tell y'all.

edit: I'll add one more from LPK9:
A Peculiar Nightmare, in which Luke wakes up from the events of The Last Skywalker to find that he's been unconscious for over two months after an assassination attempt on Naboo, suffering from a twisted, illogical nightmare while he was under. Various members of the extended Skywalker and Organa-Solo clan help with his recovery and dealing with memory loss from getting an entire Parthenon's worth of stone roof dropped on his head. The first Sequel-era fic I've seen worth the spending electrons to load it in a browser window.
--
‎noli esse culus
Got another one for ya here:

Is it really okay to use Getter Rays in a world of Otome Games? by Balckraptor is, as the title suggests, a MobuSeka fic with Getter Robo fused into the ancient (as in 72,000 years ago) past, so instead of Luxion the AI Leon finds is simply called Control, and rather than the last functional vestige of the war between pre-magic humans and mages it's the final form of the Getter Institute's central computer. Between Control's more positive support and the nature of Getter Rays to induce change, Leon is nowhere near as obtuse as his canon self, and change spirals outward from there. Currently 148k words in 48 chapters, and only since April 19!

Threadmarks links:
Sufficient Velocity
Space Battles (has a few extra omake and many more media threadmarks)
Questionable Questing (SFW Fiction section)

Without having done a line by line comparison, the only different in the three sites appears to be reader omake and comments.
--
‎noli esse culus
Alas, this one is just a short one-shot in SB's Star Wars Ideas thread, but it's one of those things that actually makes me want to read something set in Mouse Wars, and that alone is about the best rec I can give!

Untitled but for the sake of an aide memoire I'll call it "Interview with the Sith."
--
‎noli esse culus
Memories Lost by LeQuin

When Hermione is hurt during the fight at the Ministry of Magic at the end of her fifth year, no one knows how to cure her. Harry thinks he has a way, but what price will he have to pay? How will his choice affect his destined confrontation with Lord Voldemort?

This one seems interesting. It's a Spacebattles exclusive, so be aware of SB conventions.

If I had to be isekaid to a JRPG with harem, can't I be the harem protag instead of a harem member?

The story begins with a random otaku MC dying and being reincarnated into the world of the JRPG series Trails of Cold Steel as a girl named Jessica Schleiden. The catch: The MC has never heard of ToCS and doesn't know anything about it. All the god that reincarnated her told her was that the games have harem elements (i.e. many girls interested, protagonist eventually picks the designated favorite one of them).

So, being aware of plot armor, and her lack thereof (and the fact that her new appearance made it likely that she would be a designated harem member) Jessica sets out to do her best to avoid the main story altogether.

What she didn't realize was that a)the original Jessica Schleiden was an NPC, not a harem member, and her efforts to avoid the plot have only drawn her into it where she wouldn't have been otherwise, and b)she misidentified the main protagonist, so while she's trying to redirect the affections of the man she thinks is the protagonist away from her, she's only getting closer with the real one.

It's being written from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about Trails of Cold Steel, so it's fairly accessible to people who haven't played the games.
42=19
Got some recommendations:

Kandinsky's Dragon and the Destroyer of Worlds (A Love Story): https://archiveofourown.org/works/377886...s/94348942
Quote:Nearly 18 years have passed since Akane died in a tragic and senseless accident that redefines Ranma's life. Now a fateful encounter at a coffeeshop far from Tokyo in the months before the pandemic is about to change everything again...

For the Caged Bird Sings of Freedom: https://archiveofourown.org/works/316586...s/78348887
Quote:Hyuuga Hinata dies four years after the Fourth Shinobi War, to protect her Hokage.

She wakes up ten years in the past, the day before Graduation, the day before the spar that would seal her fate as the family disappointment and Hanabi's as the next Clan Head.

She makes changes.

Whirlpool Queen, Maelstrom King: https://archiveofourown.org/works/220311...s/52577893
Quote:Certain lives and certain deaths, they are significant enough that when souls pass over before their time, they are reborn into new worlds. Sansa remembering is an anomaly, but The North Remembers and Sansa is of the North; She Remembers.

Sansa thinks very little of this new world, or this new village she is meant to call ‘home’, but she does love her new brother, who shines so brightly the gods must surely have breathed star-fire into his bones when they created him. The first time Naruto tells her he will be Hokage, she does not doubt him– he was born to rule, just as she was. But Konoha does not deserve him, and she will not let them take and take until there is nothing left of her bright brother. She is Sansa Stark, she knows how to rebuild a home from ruins, and the ruins of Uzushiogakure call.

Reprise: https://archiveofourown.org/series/454408
Quote:Ben Kenobi dies aboard the Death Star in the year 0 BBY. He wakes up shortly thereafter in the Jedi temple in the year 41 BBY. Haunted by memories and regret, Ben must forge a new path for himself in the Jedi Order of his youth while navigating the murky waters of time travel. Crafting a better future from bitter experience is hard, but learning to heal is even harder. Major AU.

The Good Life: https://archiveofourown.org/works/975415
Quote:He doesn’t want to miss anything from the Realm.

They fought tooth and nail to get back here, after all. He can still remember the rush he’d felt when the light had swallowed them up, and they’d opened their eyes to find themselves strapped back into that same old amusement park ride. Dressed in their old clothes, in their old bodies. He hadn’t realized how much his time in the Realm had changed him physically. The ‘him’ he’d come back to had been a couple inches shorter, a weedy kid who hadn’t had the time to build up any muscles from lugging twenty-plus pounds of armour and a magical shield across a seemingly-infinite stretch of hostile terrain day after day.

Victory: https://archiveofourown.org/works/39354396
Quote:At the Ministry gala held in honour of the first ever Muggleborn Minister of Magic, Harry notices that the star of the evening is nowhere to be seen and goes in search for her.

A 40+ page Harmony Comic!

Strange Visitors From Another Century: https://archiveofourown.org/works/519887...ers/918771
Quote:The destruction of the time turners in the Department of Mysteries throws Harry, Ron and Hermione a thousand years into the past. There they meet the Founders of Hogwarts, who are not at all pleased about what has happened to their school.

The Short Victorious Vor: https://archiveofourown.org/works/111390...ers/154500
Quote:A young Admiral Naismith finds himself a pawn in a greater game... but who's playing who?

Ghost Rider/Harry Potter Crossover: https://archiveofourown.org/series/2448973

Mark of the Dragon: https://archiveofourown.org/works/366872...s/91516450
Quote:Harry Potter survived his tangle with the Hungarian Horntail in no small part due a tremendous amount of luck. What would happen if his luck ran out? Hermione and Harry have to work together to survive the Triwizard tournament now that Harry is disabled from the waist down after his run in with the Horntail.

The Written Word: https://archiveofourown.org/series/2797099
Quote:More than a decade post war and Hermione Granger is little more than a memory. No one has seen or heard from her since the funerals; her friends and loved ones hope she is alive somewhere but have given up on ever seeing the brunette witch again. But Fleur Delacour has a secret; once a year she receives a letter from an unknown sender that makes her feel more alive than she does at any other point in the year. Half a world away Hermione, no longer the bookish know-it-all that anyone from Britain would recognize, finds herself in a chain reaction of events that puts her on a collision course back to Britain and everyone she left behind.

The Family that Chooses You: https://archiveofourown.org/series/2995503
Quote:You cannot choose the family you're born into, but you can choose the family you belong to. An alternate universe Harry Potter setting where a hurt Harry Potter is helped by the Gryffindor Quidditch Team

This story will eventually deviate from canon though the first few years will have more similarities. There will be more of a focus on character interactions and fluff.

Bourne of Caution: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...ai.849292/

A zookeeper dies in a nuclear strike and wakes up in Honenn outside Littleroot town. Excellent combination of action and drama.
darkly, darkly, dawn glittered in the sky by cheshire_carroll (HP-Marauders Era, ASOIAF)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/323692...s/80249380

Quote:Sansa Stark dies in ice and fire, her thread of Fate severed too soon in the battle for Dawn; she is born again in blood and magic, the Old Gods weaving her anew.

Finding herself in a new world on the brink of magical civil war, scorned for the "impure" blood that runs in her veins, Sansa is determined she will never again be told that she is less than what she is worth. Through pain and suffering, she has learned how to turn righteous rage into armour, into weapons, and with the blessing of the Old Gods she will fight for what she believes in; for her sisters, for herself, and for the Fate of her new world.

Also by cheshire_carrol is "The Anti-Heroine." Now, I'm not going to mince words -- it is absolutely a train wreck abomination of a Villain Sue, Hermione In Name Only, edgelordy sex and violence break-fic (as opposed to fix-fic) take on the setting, packed with Snape and Voldemort apologism and Dumbledore and Weasley bashing. (And the sex gets rolling by about the end of third year, so IIRC illegal to read in Canada and the EU.) At the same time, it is a thoughtful, character-driven examination of the personalities and motivations that send it hurtling further and further into the depths, and even as I despise most of the characters' decisions and the justifications they make for them, I can't help but want to continue seeing how it plays out.

Recommended only for those with strong stomachs and/or flexible morals; with warnings for child abuse, torture, murder, general criminal behaviour, underage sex and dangerous kinks, with all but the first committed by the protagonists as well as upon them. I mean it; I really mean it. Shit gets intense.

AO3 index link:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/8132578/navigate

edit:
Quote:Tom gave him a long, unreadable look. "I think," he said, finally, "that Hermione and I both forget sometimes that you spent your childhood locked in a cupboard."
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-27-2022, 06:25 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: (And the sex gets rolling by about the end of third year, so IIRC illegal to read in Canada and the EU.)

If anyone involved is under 18, then it's illegal to even have in your browser cache in Canada.

Thanks for the warning.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Yeah, I try to make sure to note that kind of thing when it applies, as part of my "don't be an asshole" initiative. It's a work in progress, but no change comes without effort.
--
‎noli esse culus
(08-27-2022, 06:25 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Also by cheshire_carrol is "The Anti-Heroine." Now, I'm not going to mince words -- it is absolutely a train wreck abomination of a Villain Sue, Hermione In Name Only, edgelordy sex and violence break-fic (as opposed to fix-fic) take on the setting, packed with Snape and Voldemort apologism and Dumbledore and Weasley bashing. (And the sex gets rolling by about the end of third year, so IIRC illegal to read in Canada and the EU.) At the same time, it is a thoughtful, character-driven examination of the personalities and motivations that send it hurtling further and further into the depths, and even as I despise most of the characters' decisions and the justifications they make for them, I can't help but want to continue seeing how it plays out.

Recommended only for those with strong stomachs and/or flexible morals; with warnings for child abuse, torture, murder, general criminal behaviour, underage sex and dangerous kinks, with all but the first committed by the protagonists as well as upon them. I mean it; I really mean it. Shit gets intense.

AO3 index link:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/8132578/navigate

edit:
Quote:Tom gave him a long, unreadable look. "I think," he said, finally, "that Hermione and I both forget sometimes that you spent your childhood locked in a cupboard."

I read that one and the main lesson I learned from it was to pay really close attention to the tags, which is why I don’t recommend it. I do think it would work better as original fiction.

(08-28-2022, 09:48 AM)SilverFang01 Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 06:25 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Also by cheshire_carrol is "The Anti-Heroine." Now, I'm not

I read that one and the main lesson I learned from it was to pay really close attention to the tags, which is why I don’t recommend it. I do think it would work better as original fiction.

Mmm, I'm not sure about original fiction, because the serial numbers would be a bit hard to file off with how tightly several things are bound up in distinctive HP plot points, but adding four years to everything so HINO still has memories of her parents after losing them at seven, ditched the orphanage at ten, and picked up her edgelordy street kid skills by fifteen for Hogwarts to start, would make things a LOT more plausible in general along with sliding her in under the wire with her September birthday putting her one ahead of the rest of her yearmates to not be makin' whoopie on camera while underage. The age of majority being twenty one would also make the Triwizard (at least as planned) a lot less objectionable than at seventeen.

Though honestly, hard BDSM and blood play are not my kinks and I've skipped most of the sex scenes since the early chapters of GoF anyway. Still can't look away from the wider train wreck, even so...

Probably should let this one lie or start an actual discussion thread for it at this point, though. This thread is meant for recommendations, after all.
--
‎noli esse culus
Unexpected Talent, a Harry Potter one-shot by mp3.1415player (the writer of Taylor Varga).

It's the sort of story that would fit in here quite nicely: makes a single change to canon, explores the ramifications, doesn't coddle the bad guys, and contains a truly atrocious pun.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(08-28-2022, 03:42 PM)robkelk Wrote: Unexpected Talent, a Harry Potter one-shot by mp3.1415player (the writer of Taylor Varga).

It's the sort of story that would fit in here quite nicely: makes a single change to canon, explores the ramifications, doesn't coddle the bad guys, and contains a truly atrocious pun.

...a pun I kinda-sorta made years ago in my guide for fanfic authors. I wonder if mp3.1415player read it and took inspiration.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I haven't seen this rec'd before? 

I'm only a couple chapters in and it usually takes a lot to motivate me to rec. I have to say that in 20 years of reading HP FF, I'm not sure I've seen a Gred and Forge POV done quite like this before:

How Fred and George Accidentally Befriended a Wannabe Dark Lord. Or: What if the Weasley twins had been the ones who found Tom Riddle’s diary? 

Written by map_of_mysteries on AO3 - In excess of 200K words. Completed in August 2021. Classified Gen/mature.
Only a small tag list inc. humor, OCs and crack. No 'Woke' tags - I'm using that blanket term out of expediency, or I'll be here all day typing out all the different minute variations on every possible tag used to segregate one group from every other group that A03 is prone to - that this story doesn't have
It does have a few odd issues with words spelt or chosen based on how they sound - e.g. neckless instead of necklace, appendix meaning appendage etc.

It appears to be part of a larger series, but I haven't looked at the others.