Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
RE: Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
Mr_Crocodile, author of the first official A Thing of Vikings gaiden, also has a whole series of his own, on which the ATOV author and other members of the fanbase have consulted.

Croc Wrote:Take the real world, our world, with its peoples, nations, cultures and politics. Now have the advent of Kaiju, colossal monsters of varied and strange origins, and watch as mankind grapples with the loss of it's millenia-long hegemony on earth.

The earliest scene in any of the stories takes place during one of the Punic Wars. Other stories have scenes in the 2040s and 2050s. But the bulk of these tales take place beginning in 1954, when humanity unlocked the secrets of Kaiju-kind's favorite food and thus awakened them from their long slumber, and going only a little beyond our synchronized present day, to places like the Korean De-Industrial Zone and the various post-American nations.

Quote:This is a world trampled under the feet of monsters.
This is a world built on the shoulders of Titans.

https://archiveofourown.org/series/1990825
New AO3er Bewitched_Forest did not start small.

Quote:Three hours. That's how much time was missing. Any and all records, from videos to memories, are just gone. Citizens don't even realize the loss. But three hours were missing. And in Gotham City of all places? The vigilantes of Gotham aren't sure what's going on, but they will be finding out.

Meanwhile, Artemis Fowl is having a grand old time.

This is my first fanfiction soooooo. Enjoy!

Fifteen chapters in, How to Fowl a Bat (yes, seriously) has just begun to build toward the promised shipping of Arty and Tim (also seriously).

http://archiveofourown.org/works/40916856
A lot of the things I recommend come with caveats and disclaimers. This does not. It's pure fun in a way I haven't read in a long while.

Quote:Dreams had always been an escape for Harry Potter, but he was pretty sure that you weren't supposed to dream entire lives all at once. Now what's this whole dimensions malarkey and what does divination have to do with it?

Everything Everywhere One Thing At A Time (SB threadmarks link)

HP/SG-1, plus numerous references and minor fusions, presently 66k words in ten chapters since July 27th, which comes out to a tad over a thousand words a day. My envy is almost as strong as my appreciation for the story.
--
‎noli esse culus
I wrote 100k in 30 days once. I do not recommend it.
SEZ
BZG
I've done it several times, but I got paid for it. Respect to those who don't.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
tokoz is writing a somewhat inevitable Cyberpunk 2077 / Cyberpunk Edgerunners / Cyberpunk RED crossover called Cyberpunk: Double Edged Sword

General Concept: CorpoV and Jackie Welles encounter David Martinez at the start of his career as a Runner. Things immediately begin to go off the rails.

It's been pretty fun so far, lots of fun little nods to the rest of the setting are in here and there's a lot of attention paid to the thoughts of the tabletop's creator on problems such as Cyberpsychosis. It's a story about family. Where family includes Night City's Last Great Posergang, a Literal Cyborg Ninja, a Perilously Overarmed Semi-Retired Brothel Bouncer, Kids With Dreams and more Chrome than most people have room for.

Oh, and jank driving physics.

Can't forget the jank driving physics.
on the topic of cyberpunk, I present "Rewired Saga", an original cyberpunk style story set in Australia. 4th chapter dropped early today (story totalling around 15k words so far)

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-86700888
The Grand Unified Theory of Shen Qingqiu (The Scum Villain's Self Saving System)

Shen Yuan gets to go back to his starting point and have a second go. It goes well... for a while.

Short chapters at first, but a huge number of them and the story really takes off once it starts dealing with the previous generation of Cang Qiong leaders mentoring their successors (the readers already know, plus more). And the aggressive gossip-warfare of the cultivation world.

She (S ()
(08-25-2022, 04:56 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: darkly, darkly, dawn glittered in the sky by cheshire_carroll (HP-Marauders Era, ASOIAF)

https://archiveofourown.org/works/323692...s/80249380

Quote:Sansa Stark dies in ice and fire, her thread of Fate severed too soon in the battle for Dawn; she is born again in blood and magic, the Old Gods weaving her anew.

Finding herself in a new world on the brink of magical civil war, scorned for the "impure" blood that runs in her veins, Sansa is determined she will never again be told that she is less than what she is worth. Through pain and suffering, she has learned how to turn righteous rage into armour, into weapons, and with the blessing of the Old Gods she will fight for what she believes in; for her sisters, for herself, and for the Fate of her new world.

I read this one not long ago -- and the fact that it stops apparently just a chapter short of its proper conclusion is heartbreaking. It's going to be living on my "currently reading" bookmarks for years if cheshire carroll doesn't finish it any time soon.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Never Silence A Lion's Roar by Aeyliana
https://archiveofourown.org/works/420474.../105571248

Quote: AU Order of the Phoenix. After Umbridge exposes the DA, Dumbledore takes the blame and then evades arrest. Left stranded, Harry has no defence when Fudge decides to put him under arrest as an accomplice to a conspiracy against his office. Locked up in Ministry custody, he is left to wait for his trial. He isn't alone at least. Hermione Granger will do anything for those she cares about, especially Harry Potter. He will need her mind to help him fight for his freedom... and maybe even his life.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
The Complication ST:TNG
https://archiveofourown.org/series/2288789

A retelling AU of the first season after the episode the Naked Now featuring Data/Tasha Yar, weaving “missing” scenes and some original stories.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Midoriya's Unseen venture into Vigilantism (And the resulting testicular trauma to villains)

Summary: Midoriya Izuku did develop a quirk. However this quirk makes it so nobody can truly see him or remember him if they do. He ends up committing Vigilantism via kicking a villain in the nuts.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/379170...s/94688743

Six chapters of Izuku solving the world's problems by kicking people in the nuts, tentatively complete.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
I thought I must have seen this one recced here, but I don't find it so here it is:

The Importance of Imaginitive Flexibility by Triskellion is a Stargate Atlantis fic where Hobbes never faded away as Calvin grew up, and while his Spaceman Spiff inventions didn't keep working enough of the theory was sound that the two of them blazed through CalTech to earn a doctorate, even if Calvin had to scan and shoop Hobbes' name onto a copy of the degree. Hired on to the Atlantis program straight off the podium, they proceed to have a variety of SG:A type adventures that pretty much feel like coming home.

Sadly, it's just a one-shot, and 7800 words, but there's merit in being concise and complete as well.

AO3 link

Triskellion Wrote:“I know they said emergencies were a dime a dozen around here, but really?” Calvin snapped, walking toward the rapidly beeping machine in the corner that up until five minutes ago no one had managed to do anything with. “There’s been two already today. We do not need a third, Zorg.”

“I am not a Zorg,” Kavanagh protested, still fiddling with the wiring of the machine. He always said that. Hobbes was convinced the ponytail was how he recharged his morphic disorienter and kept looking (mostly) human.

“Sabotage,” Calvin bellowed. “We’ve got another Zorg saboteur.”

The marines by the door snickered.

“What did you do?” Dr. McKay bellowed as he came into the room. Paging him had been Calvin’s first move. He’d learned to follow orders under certain circumstances. And he really liked living. How would he ever build an adult transmorgrifier if the Zorgs blew up Atlantis?

“Kavanagh’s fault,” Hobbes called from behind the crouching Kavanagh. “I told him not to, but he never listens.”

“No one listens,” Dr. McKay said. “Kavanagh, stand down right now.”

“I’m just trying to turn it off,” Kavanagh whined.

“You don’t know how you turned it on. How the hell do you think you know how to turn it off?” Dr. McKay grabbed at his com. “Someone get Sheppard down here. This thing feels gene controlled.”

“Hobbes, think off,” Calvin called.

The device shut down.

Dr. McKay looked at Calvin. “I thought you didn’t have the gene.”

“I don’t.” Calvin pointed at Hobbes perched on the table behind Kavanagh. “Hobbes does.”

Also, since Karmic Acumen got banned on SB (for what I don't know) here's the QQ link for Everything Everywhere, One Thing at a Time, which I recced a bit further up the page. Note that I haven't read this version at all or the SB version since making the rec, so I don't know if there's added spicy bits or if it's just in the NSFW section because traffic is next to nonexistent in the SFW side of the site; consider this fair warning. It's also a Stargate crossover but with Harry Potter this time.
--
‎noli esse culus
http://www.starwalkerblog.com/

“The Starwalker is an experimental vessel equipped with a star-stepping drive. She's brand new, the paint is still wet, and she's working out the kinks in her new skin. She has a lot to learn, and what the hell is this engine of hers anyway?“
FYI - my Malwarebytes is flagging the www.starwalkerblog.com site as compromised

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 12/11/22
Protection Event Time: 7:13 PM
Log File: c9bc3304-79b1-11ed-9dc2-782b46c8041e.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.5.18.226
Components Version: 1.0.1823
Update Package Version: 1.0.63308
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, Blocked, -1, -1, 0.0.0, ,

-Website Data-
Category: Compromised
Domain: starwalkerblog.com
IP Address: 92.205.1.246
Port: 80
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

(end)
https://archiveofourown.org/works/316586...s/78348887

"For the Caged Bird Sings of Freedom"
Naruto-verse - Post-War Hinata gets a Peggy Sue, and is all traumatized and horrible at hiding that she's not a teenage genin anymore. And determined to do things right this time. Whatever it takes.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/438263.../110201118

Falling Stars, a Transformers/RWBY crossover.

When aliens fell to Remnant in balls of flame, responsibility fell on General James Ironwood of the Atlesian Military to make first contact with these strange new beings. Who knows, perhaps these Decepticons could be the key to a new golden age? Surely keeping the existence of these strange new beings a secret couldn't possibly backfire!
https://archiveofourown.org/series/151619

Eleutherophobia (Animorphs). Tom survives the end of the series. He just has to learn to cope. Good enough even for someone who's never read the books.
Magic Blankets is a fun little one-shot fixit fic, based on the Star Wars prequels. Lots of warm and fluffy feelings, in the most literal possible sense of the phrase I can recall ever seeing written. AO3 link.

Quote:C-3PO accidentally saves the galaxy by teaching a young Ani Skywalker how to crochet.

~3k words, completed
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...i.1066868/
Maverick Solutions: Crime Doesn't Pay (Enough) [Marvel SI]

Sometimes, people get screwed over by uncaring systems, unable to get out of the rut that life's put them in. It's sad to say, but society tends to be of the opinion "Once a Villain, Always a Villain". But we at Maverick Solutions believe in second chances. If you've been pigeonholed as a Supervillain, and desire legitimate, paying work, and have not attempted genocide, mass murder, or destruction of the planet while not under duress, give us a call to schedule an interview.
LD1449 has a new (-ish, since last month anyway) fic on SB, wherin several Worm characters from different points in the story are transported to the Star Wars galaxy, at a time not completely pinned down as far as I've read yet (ch5) but at least weeks to months past the Tatooine sequence in TPM. Pre-Echidna Alexandria, indeterminate Miss Militia, and at least post-Echidna Clockblocker are on Tatooine, while post-bank job Glory Girl and Gold Morning-Taylor (with both arms and her original power, and not surprising Vicky by being notably taller than start of canon) appeared on the forest floor of Kashyyk. It's pretty interesting so far.

Presently seven chapters and ~25k words. Threadmarks link
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...0k.987151/

Saga of the Runt. Tanya Degurechaff is reincarnated as a female Leman Russ on Fenris (as shown later, a rather one sided conflict between Being X and Tzeentch is involved). Currently the Great Crusade is underway. The characterisation of many WH40k individuals is disputed, but that is unavoidable.
Hi guys, ltns.

Anyway, I present my new favorite LotR fic:

https://www.tumblr.com/lilithsaintcrow/7...rs-limnaia
(01-24-2023, 12:16 PM)jpub Wrote: Hi guys, ltns.

Anyway, I present my new favorite LotR fic:

https://www.tumblr.com/lilithsaintcrow/7...rs-limnaia

And I just got to read it. Love it, absolutely love it. Highly recommended.
-- Bob

“Sir, we’ll be needing to step outside.”