Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
RE: Fanfic Recommendations Go Hawaiian
Personally, I don't think any of the Star Wars movies are that bad. Some needed a bit of work, yes, but it could always be worse.
I obviously disagree.
--
‎noli esse culus
We noticed Smile
mixed bag as far as i am concerned, haven't watched Solo or Rogue One, haven't even watched Last Jedi either, but for the other ones:

Phantom Menace sucked balls. i mean, i know you're setting up the basics of the universe and the characters but why the hell have midichlorians or Jar Jar
Clone Wars was tolerable, if for nothing else than we get to see Anakin lose his shit and finally him marry Padme.
Revenge of the Sith was really the best of the three, but as i said in one of my stories, people love to see a hero fall, and that is what we see here

original trilogy, empire was filler for the most part, but important filler

Force Awakens was okay, Han's death was readable by the situation but otherwise was a clear opener movie for another at least trilogy
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Rogue One was great.
SEZ
BZG
(09-30-2019, 01:52 PM)batzulger Wrote: Rogue One was great.

*nods* And the scene with Vader near the end really sells why the Rebellion was terrified of him (and why they embraced Luke as a Jedi so much)

It flowed quite well into Episode 4.
(09-29-2019, 09:16 AM)batzulger Wrote: Uh, The Last Jedi wasn't that bad. It wasn't Solo or the prequels level of awful at least.

Yes, it was. TLJ was, in essence, an attempt to redo Star Wars as a noir flick. It didn't match the setting, it didn't match the theme, and it massacred the characters (not even getting into the idiot ball-reliant plotting).
42=19
(09-30-2019, 10:22 PM)Lunaludus Scribex Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 09:16 AM)batzulger Wrote: Uh, The Last Jedi wasn't that bad. It wasn't Solo or the prequels level of awful at least.

Yes, it was. TLJ was, in essence, an attempt to redo Star Wars as a noir flick. It didn't match the setting, it didn't match the theme, and it massacred the characters (not even getting into the idiot ball-reliant plotting).
It was Disney killing the series so that no more could be officially made.
Eh, there's four things I'd do.

One, tweak the Miscommunication In the Resistance Ships a little. It wasn't really needed, made Poe look a little too stupid, even with the bit at the end of it where he realizes that he's not the center of everything.

Two, keep in the version of the Finn/Phasma encounter where he calls her out on what a little bitch she really is. It's the real conclusion of his development from someone trying to flee a nightmare, to someone fighting for the only person to show him kindness, to someone fighting for something larger than himself.

Three, make it clearer just how much Snoke had to mess with Rey's head to make her give Kylo another chance while they were mindlinked. It'd make her going to Snokes ship work better, and her shaking off the last of it and remembering what a pathetic little mass murderer Kylo really is even better, but more painful.

Four, replace the hacker with someone more compelling, or at least have him Rewarded As A Traitor Deserves.

Other than that, I still prefer it to TFA.

Anyway, getting back on topic, have a couple of recommendations!

By The Stars That Shine From The Dawn (Fire Emblem: Three Houses/Okami)

A young Byleth meets a giant doG she names Ammy and brings home with her. Only one chapter so far, but it's adorable anyway. And when the inspiration is the worm/okami crossover Constellations, it's almost certain that the Monastery will be having Interesting Times in its future.

Paradoxical (Destiny/Worm)

During the campaign of the original game, a newly raised Guardian travels to the Reef, and meets a woman known as Weaver and her Ghost, Kali. A Risen with no ties to the Last City acting as the personal agent of Queen Mara Sov would be worrying enough, but then there's the matter of the other-dimensional creature her brain is linked to...
There Will Be No Foolish Wand-Waving (HP, AU)

Petunia Evans doesn't have enough magic to go to Hogwarts with her sister.

That doesn't mean she can't have any magic at all, though.

A chance comment in the right place, a bit of magical self-study, and say good-bye to the rails of canon.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Tor.com has a new Wild Cards short story introducing a new character and - more relevant to this forum - the music of The Who: Naked, Stoned, and Stabbed.
https://www.tor.com/2019/10/16/naked-sto...ey-denton/

Not sure I recommended the last few Wild Cards shorts either.

This is a Demise story set in the '80s: The City That Never Sleeps.
https://www.tor.com/2019/08/28/wild-card...on-simons/

This is a story involving the characters Bugsy, Zoe Harris, and Croyd Crenson: Long is the Way.
https://www.tor.com/2019/05/15/long-is-t...ge-walker/

Most if not all of the short stories can be found on this page:
https://www.tor.com/series/wild-cards-on-tor-com/
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/th...-au.58158/

"The Jedi Lord of Serenno": When the Jedi Council turns young Anakin away, Dooku offers to take him in and train him.
Is this really such a good idea?
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I'm fairly sure Lang Noi's Catch Your Breath has been recommended here before - it's part of the constellation of Naruto fics inspired by and drawing on some of the world building for Dreaming of Sunshine, though the only direct relation is a line early on that this is a world where infant Nara Shikako didn't survive - but after finally getting around to reading it, a particularly cool sequence prompts me to bring it up again. This is from a bit past half way through the current 120-some chapters so I'll stick it in a spoiler for those who worry about such things.

Link is to the author's profile page, since there's a couple of side-stories and a BnHA crossover sequel as well.
https://m.fanfiction.net/u/1072465/
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...er.790927/

Don Dresden, Founder of Hogwarts. (Dresedn Files / Harry Potter fusion)

Harry Dresden has found himself in 11th-century Britain, conspiring with three fellow White Council members — Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin — to open a school for young wizards and witches.

Meanwhile, the Normans are still settling into ruling the island, the White Court have taken an interest, and Harry has partnered with the King's Wizard — one Armaund Malfoy — to investigate some mysterious murders....
Sucrose Octanitrate.

(11-01-2019, 12:00 PM)ECSNorway Wrote: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...er.790927/

Don Dresden, Founder of Hogwarts. (Dresedn Files / Harry Potter fusion)

Harry Dresden has found himself in 11th-century Britain, conspiring with three fellow White Council members — Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin — to open a school for young wizards and witches.

Meanwhile, the Normans are still settling into ruling the island, the White Court have taken an interest, and Harry has partnered with the King's Wizard — one Armaund Malfoy — to investigate some mysterious murders....

and to pre-emptively answer a question, THERE IS NO GODRIC GRYPHINDOR
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

I find I'm quite enjoying Saphroneth's Harry is a Dragon and That's Okay, in which Harry Potter is... well, what it says on the tin. And no one (muggle) notices, because magic. ~300k words, link is to the threadmarks on SB.
--
‎noli esse culus
If you're into My Little Pony fics, Kris Overstreet has posted one set twenty-four years after Princess Luna was banished to the moon:
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/453641/...s-custodes
Seneschal: "Celestia still grieves for the loss of her sister, but she must face the consequences of letting someone else rule in her name."
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
MarbleGlove has a new fic in the Naruto fandom. It is already up to five chapters, and is just as good as their previous works:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13425113/1/Doing-the-Work
Doing the Work (Naruto).
There's more to peace than the absence of war. The work is as hard and uncertain as any Shinobi mission. AKA: A highly self-indulgent fic in which a civilian woman helps an orphaned Sasuke and winds up saving the world.
Who's up for some Potterverse OC slice of life? It's good stuff, with an MC that actually feels like a real person interacting with other real people.

What's Her Name From Hufflepuff (threadmarks on SB)

edit: One of these days I will learn to make 'fox see both "from" and "form" as spelling errors and stick a red line under them so I double check. Today was not yet that day.

E2 Another Edit: an excerpt of one of the more plotful moments

Quote: Hermione Granger was at the Gryffindor table.

Why was she here? Why wasn't she in the bathroom crying?

Hermione saw that I was looking her way and waved at me. I forced a smile and waved back... and then I realized why she wasn't in the bathroom.

Because what Ron had said wasn't true. Hermione did have friends. Or at least she had one...

Me.

I sat down at the end of Hufflepuff table, anxiously hoping that fate would somehow reinsert itself, but when Professor Quirrel burst through the room screaming of trolls Hermione was still there. She left the Great Hall with the rest of her house to go back to her dorm room.

On October 31st 1991, Hermione Granger did not become friends with Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

And it was all my fault.

Shenanigans, naturally, ensue, but all is not woe and doom. Life keeps on keepin' on.
--
‎noli esse culus
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...au.760294/

"Wind". It's initially billed as simply another alt-power Taylor fic. Taylor has ended up with what the readers quickly recognize as Skidmark's power... and then things go rapidly off the rails. Inspiration is clearly coming from Lovecraft and "Rebuild of Evangelion".
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I have two fan fics to recommend, first a quick and fairly funny alternate universe Ranma 1/2.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13399749/1/Duty-of-Care

Principle Kuno is given an early retirement after his school is destroyed and a new  principle and school has to deal with Ranma, Akane and other students and their problems. The first chapter or two are a little slow and the new principle plays it straight and serious, but it's still a comedy and a funny take on how an originally sane and sober principle would try and deal with the problems orbiting Ranma and Akane.

The next fanfic is mixing of Danny Phantom and Harry Potter and focuses on Danny as a twin brother.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579488/1/L...ath-s-Gift

I didn't think I'd like it, but while searching for Danny Phantom fanfics one of the Danny Phantom writers I like recommended it and so I gave the first chapter a a try and to my surprise had quickly read all 13 chapters.

hmelton
I just finished what's available of Xavon Wrentaile's My Hero Playthrough, in which Midoriya Izuku becomes The Gamer. It's not the best Gamer fic I've read but it's a lot less rage inducing than the canon webcomic, a large part of which is Izuku retaining his canonical talent for analyzing and spotting new and effective ways to make use of abilities instead of being a complete and utter moron like Jee-han. There's a few other changes, the BnHA elctrokinetic being replaced by Misaka Mikoto from RailDex, Mizuno Ami and someone whose name I don't recall from an obscure superhero manga called Gamma instead of Bakugou (who got dead in the intro due to butterflies) and the annoying midget pervy guy with literal slime-ball powers. Cassandra Cain from Batman comics is in there too. Yes, it is by WoG going for a harem ending eventually, though the omake segments that play that more openly are non-canon and only Best Frog has expressed interest in more than friendship so far, though Ami's crush is obvious to everyone but Izuku. ~126k words in 21 chapters since March, with the most recent just posted a few days ago.
--
‎noli esse culus
Towards the Sun
https://archiveofourown.org/works/192528...s/45784264
Tropes page
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F...ardsTheSun

In canon, Zuko went to Iroh's cell on the Day of the Black Sun (after confronting his father) to break him out but found Iroh had escaped on his own. Then Zuko went off to hook up with Team Avatar. In this timeline, he got caught right after checking on Iroh's cell and spent the rest of the canon timeline in a higher-security cell of his own. Then Ozai is defeated by Aang, Azula goes completely insane, Iroh is still missing and doing things considered treasonous to the Fire Nation, and Zuko is suddenly Fire Lord because he's the only member of the royal family left. He pushes forward in his characteristically well-meaning but stubbornly oblivious fashion and now has to hold the nation together while negotiating with a Team Avatar that has no reason to trust him.

I enjoy it for a downright adorable Iron Woobie Zuko as the primary PoV and believable culture clash and realistic consequences for some of the events in the canon ending, without making any of the canon hero characters into bad guys or warping them into different characters. At risk of starting a debate, I look upon it as giving me the intriguing elements of Vathara's Embers without the parts that irritate me.

I also recommend the author, MuffinLance, in general for stories about socially-awkward Iron Woobie Zuko in a Want-of-a-Nail AU that keeps spiraling into enjoyable chaos.
I don't believe the world has gone mad, because I don't believe it was ever sane.
I dunno if anyone's recced this one here before -- somehow I think they have, actually, but I can't find it. Anyway.

Umino Iruka and the Will of Fire tells us the story of, plainly enough, Umino Iruka, chuunin of Konohagakure no Sato, as he is catapulted through the void between worlds and dropped smack dab in the middle of the explosion that would have killed Pandora Lovegood. And the many, many, many butterflies he brings along with him.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

It turns out that it has been recommended here before, but that was years ago. I recently ran across:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10677106/1/Seventh-Horcrux

Voldemort is possessing Harry - and it's hilarious.