Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Admission Scandal or Aunt Becky is Going to Jail
College Admission Scandal or Aunt Becky is Going to Jail
First, the story: https://www.vox.com/2019/3/15/18264399/c...ng-huffman

TL;DR these parents instead of going through the time tested “I’ll donate a building in exchange for accepting my kid at this Ivy League college” decided to instead actually commit several crimes.

Here is The Legal Eagle with some analysis of the charges:
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
RE: College Admission Scandal or Aunt Becky is Going to Jail
Society is depressingly skewed in favour of rich white people. They have every possible advantage given to them. Education, health, resources, connections, 'donations'... how pathetic do you have to be that your parents need to commit crimes on top of all your other advantages? How does it feel to be a real life Billy Madison? Can you even tie your shoes?
I'm more surprised at the level of shock among the hoi polloi than from the bribes themselves. Nothing about this is surprising in a system where:
The NCAA athletics system is a cartel that pays players less than a percent of earnings, if anything at all
Coaches are usually the highest paid government officials in US governments
College is a valuable merit, or social signaling mechanism, to the extent that only lawyers who attended two Ivys (Harvard and Yale) are considered for the Supreme Court
The primary job of a campus chancellor/president is fundraising

So of course people will cheat the system, there's too much money involved for it not to happen on a massive scale.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I think part of the shock is that charges are actually being laid. I mean, consequences? For Rich People?
(03-21-2019, 12:29 AM)Labster Wrote: I'm more surprised at the level of shock among the hoi polloi than from the bribes themselves.
(03-21-2019, 12:34 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: I think part of the shock is that charges are actually being laid. I mean, consequences? For Rich People?

I think it's more the idea that these people are some of the 'smarter' ones who can sense that the pitchforks are coming, so they're acting out the shock and outrage so they seem more like one of us 'normal people'.