Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We now have table capability
We now have table capability
I had to hack the install script for the table plug-in I found because it was causing SQL errors when I tried to run it, and then I had to hand-insert the MyCode extensions to do it.  And the button on the new post page for the pop-up table generator, which I got working last night, isn't appearing now (and for some reason the bank of smilies have disappeared with it), and I don't know why.  But still, we have table support now, with the following caveats:
  • Tables aren't rendered in the full editor.  You'll only see the square-bracket MyCode markup until you save the post.
  • Markup codes are currently only recognized in uppercase.  When I get a chance, probably at lunch or maybe tonight, I'll clone them into lowercase versions so you can mix and match.
  • There is almost no style control.  The table is always horizontally centered within the post.  Column headers are always going to be bold and centered.  Table cells contents are always regular and flush left.  The TABLE tag needs a width parameter (in % of screen width) or it will flood the post.
So, a quick demonstration.  This markup:

Code:
[TABLE=33]
[TH]Column 1[/TH]
[TH]Column 2[/TH]
[TR][TD]Content 1[/TD]
[TD]Content 2[/TD][/TR]
[/TABLE]

produces this table:

Column 1 Column 2
Content 1 Content 2
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: We now have table capability
I should add that I can change the default styling for the table elements -- for instance, as installed, column texts were also centered, but I changed that for personal preference reasons. I can always change it back, or to whatever the board as a whole prefers, within the limitations of the HTML markup.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
If only one style is possible, I'd say to make the positioning of column headers match the contents for sure and probably stay with centered, but aligned left or even right is not that different as long as everything is aligned the same. Being bold and in the highlighted top cell is enough to differentiate the labels, while differently aligned disconnects them from what they're supposed to be labeling, at least to me.
--
‎noli esse culus
Lowercase table markup is now supported.

As for styling, everyone who cares, weigh in.  I'll set things to suit the majority opinion.
-- Bob

I'm just grateful we have it, as the few times I've needed it in the past, issues such as styling would have been a minor annoyance, but nothing to cry over.

Thanks Bob! I wish I could have done more to help.
With lowercase, that probably means some old tables will now start working again, woot. I know I converted them in the transfer, but I'd have to work to see which posts actually used it now.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I've already found and fixed one, in the Pending Move thread. Any others you can remember, you need to find and edit so that there's a width param to the table tag (like table=25) or things get messed up.
-- Bob