Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird & Interesting science
RE: Weird & Interesting science
This one was in my recs side panel from that, but of course not everyone will get the same things there:

Symmetry-breaking Time Crystals

Yes, in real life.
--
‎noli esse culus
not entirely sure this is the best place to post this, but I saw a post copied from Tumblr about how to stop tinnitus (at least temporarily) and though someone might find it useful.
https://cadhla182.tumblr.com/image/687878340376412160
Anton Petrov - Evidence that life started on Earth much earlier than we thought...
Layman's explanation for one of the recent steps toward launching more major moon missions:
--
‎noli esse culus
Twins connected at the brain can hear each others thoughts and see through the others eyes

I'd heard about them when they were infants - they're 12 now.  Their brains are connected at the thalamus, and they can hear each others thoughts - they call it "talking in our heads."  They can see through the others eyes, and partially control the other's body.  One twin can control 3 of the arms, the other can control 3 of the legs, or they can self-control their own.
I suppose that gives some direction about where to look in terms of brain-to-machine interface hardware like your classic cyberpunk neuro-jack, and also the problems to overcome with it. Unfortunate that it'll probably take a grimgerp corporate dystopia (or other outbreak of Nazi Mad Science) with full-Holocaust level human rights abuse to get it, because the consequences of not getting it perfectly right are yikes.
--
‎noli esse culus
Researchers in London say they have identified a new species of the giant water lily plant — after discovering it had been sitting serenely in their collection for 177 years.

No, it isn't a fossil, it's a living plant.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Interesting and disturbing at the same time - Parasitic worms attracted to cancer cells being modified to carry anti-cancer drugs

Summary:  Some nematodes (small worms) are attracted to cancer cells for some reason.  This lab is working on ways to coat them with anti-cancer drugs and let the worms carry the drugs to cancers.
First color image from the James Webb Telescope
1.5 million year old fossil could throw out our assumptions about human evolution
The most recent (as of this typing) "What If?" is How much damage would a hail storm with size 5 soccer ball sized hail do?

Well, these aren't quite that big: 'Grapefruit-sized hail' fell in Alberta Monday, and it may break a record
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
If this is real ... and that's a mighty big "if" ... this goes beyond "weird and interesting" and into "axiom-changing".

However, there's no peer-reviewed paper to read yet, so take this with a bowl of chicken-soup-powered cold fusion.

A team of scientists from Georgia Tech say they've built a robot that can move without anything to push against – a discovery that seems to violate the law of conservation momentum.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A live stream from the James Webb telescope, currently watch Betelgueuse which is expected to go supernova very soon (how they came to this prediction I don't know)

EDIT;
deleted the video since it had changed to a live stream of lunar images, and obviously wasn't anything actually important in the first place
They note it as 'just a guess' so I'm guessing they did it by witchcraft.
Nah, I was watching when it hit zero, and it immediately reset to 30 minutes. They were just running a half-hour countdown over and over again.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Anton Petrov - Unexpected discovery of another crater from the time the dinosaurs died
Does constipation affect a scorpion's ability to mate?

How do ducklings swim in formation?

Can somebody design a moose crash test dummy?

What makes legal documents unnecessarily difficult to understand?

These questios, and many more, are answered by this year's winners of the Ig Nobel Prize. (Article contains links to the academic papers.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I would not call 'what makes legal documents unnecessarily difficult to understand' something that should receive an Ignobel prize.

As it would help point out what things to avoid hard to understand legal documentation. Hell, IIRC legal documents in the Netherlands are legally forbidden in the to be excessively difficult to understand so as to ensure that everybody who reads the damn things know what the terms are.
James Webb Space Telescope (possibly) Proves The Big Bang Theory Is Wrong

link
--
‎noli esse culus
Successful first test shot for an interplanetary weapon

That asteroid never knew what was coming for it!
--
‎noli esse culus
Antov Petrov - Updates from Saturn's moon Titan, will we find life here instead?
Geomagnetic fields reveal the truth behind Biblical narratives
https://phys.org/news/2022-10-geomagneti...lical.html
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
Black hole discovered 480 parsecs away.

Abstract and paper at the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Pop-science discussion at CBC (about halfway down the page)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
How Physicists Created a Wormhole in a Quantum Computer

"As exciting as the discovery of the Higgs (particle)"
--
‎noli esse culus
And that's (over) 300 posts. New thread is new