Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So it's official
So it's official
I'm starting dialysis tomorrow morning, first thing. As it's being handled on an emergency basis to start, I"m going to get the line in the artery for the short term. Once the fistula operation's healed, the line comes out and I switch to standard hemodialysis.

I'm really looking forward to doing this at this point. There's this constant feeling of "heaviness" in my limbs these days, I'm frequently nauseous, and have to fight to keep food down. Hopefully these things will start to become history as they put me through dialysis regularly.

Once I'm stable and on regular dialysis, I'll be on the list for transplant. As I've got the universal recipient blood type, I'm in a good position to get a kidney. Time will tell how long that takes. For now, I'm just going to focus on the next month or so.
RE: So it's official
Good luck with it all, Ian. Here's hoping you'll be feeling much better soon.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And now I know why you haven't been answering my emails... Here's hoping your wait for a transplant won't be too long.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Indeed, warm winds and fair fortune to you.
--
‎noli esse culus
My prayers on your swift recovery.
good luck!
Hugs.
Best wishes.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Best of luck.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Thoughts-and-prayers-related program activities.
So, first couple times so far. Third tomorrow. They're ramping me up slowly. Today was 3 hours, tomorrow, 4. Then it's T-W-S in the mornings for the forseeable future. On the other hand, it beats the alternative, and I'm in a good place for transplant, physically speaking. So that's possible too. I'll get more when I speak with the team I'll be working with tomorrow onward.

At the moment, I have a catheter in my chest. It's about as painful as it sounds, although as long as I don't move pretty much in any direction I can forget its there for long stretches. Smile I'm hoping to get the fistula operation in the arm, as they'll be able to take this thing out of my chest then, and I'll be able to do things like take showers and go swimming again. (Okay, not much call for swimming in the winter, but I miss hot showers already. The thought of months of sponge baths is horrendous...)

In the meantime, I'm trying to adjust as best I can. Not sure what I'll do job-wise going forward. The law clerk job ended, so I'll probably have to do something work-from-home in the future. Since I'm only available in the afternoons on weekdays for work, that pretty much limits me to part time. Not sure what I"ll do yet. We'll see what my options are in the new year.