Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird & Interesting science
RE: Weird & Interesting science
Mars Landing "Easter Egg"

Perseverance displays a "hidden" message....  (I'd like to joke about it perhaps being for the Illuminati, but someone would probably think I was serious.)
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
There's also a tiny plaque somewhere in one of the camera's sights that shows a progression of all the various landers in what looks like a parody of the classic "evolution of man" pic.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I saw those pics compared to the family decals you see on car rear windows.
Just in time for the last Evangelion:

Scientists confirm antimatter explosion in Antarctica

Okay, they detected an antineutrino coming in at 6.3 PeV in their IceCube detector.  But that's a lot for a tiny neutrino!

lainga on Hacker News Wrote:6.3 PeV - that's crazy! Wolfram Alpha tells me that'd be about enough energy as work to depress a key on a keyboard.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Wait, an anti neutrino. I wasn't aware they were even possible, given how neutrinos have no charge.
Still no charge, but opposite spin I guess? Though I don't know how yoiu could tell until it annihilated against a normal one, which given thee size and speed they tend to be moving at probably makes the sighting a very rare chance indeed...
--
‎noli esse culus
First photos of a glow-in-the-dark shark
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Part of Wright brothers’ 1st airplane on NASA’s Mars chopper
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Scientists built a perfectly self-replicating synthetic cell
-- Bob

Wider spread Denisovan ancestry in SE Asia
(link is to abstract - it's paywalled)

Short pop sci summary of findings

Genetic analysis of inhabitants of SE Asia islands indicated 3 separate Denisovan/Homo Sapiens hybridization events.  The original Siberian one, then a SE Asia one, and finally New Guinea.  The New Guinea event was between 15-30K years ago, and therefore Denisovans may have been the longest lasting cousin to us.  No positive signs of hybridization with either of the other homo species in the area (H. floresiensis or H. luzonensis) - there may have been something, but it was barely above background, so not significant.
Earth appears to have an additioonal hidden layer in the core.
Large blobs in the mantle may be parts of another planet

This was alluded to in the Youtube video Norgarth posted.

The Large Low-Shear Velocity Provinces (about 6% of the mantle) may be remnants of Theia, the believed proto-planet that impacted Earth and formed the Moon.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/scien...tw-nytimes

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00898-z

Particle Physicists are going "That's Funny . . . . "
3 discoveries you missed because of COVID
https://newatlas.com/biology/ancient-mon...ed-thumbs/

Reptiloid/Sleestak/Silurian missing link discovered (dinosaur with oldest known opposable thumbs)
Fireball over Florida on Monday night.
-- Bob

(04-06-2021, 07:33 PM)RMH999 Wrote: Large blobs in the mantle may be parts of another planet

This was alluded to in the Youtube video Norgarth posted.

The Large Low-Shear Velocity Provinces (about 6% of the mantle) may be remnants of Theia, the believed proto-planet that impacted Earth and formed the Moon.

a video discussing the above concept (roughly 10.5 min)
Some massive object majorly disrupted the nearby Hyades Cluster and we don't know what

new study suggests 36 alien civilizations in the Milky Way, but ...
How many bubbles in a glass of beer?

I have to applaud the lab that got the grant for this project.

RMH
Disney is developing a free-roving Young Groot robot:

-- Bob

more Mars stuff

stars pass through the (distant outskirts of the) solar system every 50,000 years or so

closest and smallest Black Hole to Earth found - V723 Mon, 'The Unicorn'
How our understanding of Neanderthals changed in the last few years

and somewhat related
did magnetic cataclysm 42000 years ago cause Neanderthal extinction?
Aw, darn - we missed The Super Pink Moon of 2021.

(Of course, on this board what we missed was making the Sailor Chibi-Moon jokes... Smile )
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
How the world almost ended in 2012 and still might later