Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[RFC][Info] Playing with Boom-Boom (Or, Antimatter and You - A Children's Parable)
RE: [RFC][Info] Playing with Boom-Boom (Or, Antimatter and You - A Children's Parable)
What I’ve found recently is that certain punctuation marks in the title field for spoilers is what breaks it for some weird reason. I’ve had posts with thee or four spoiled sections, but put a single hyphen or backslash in there? Suddenly it flips you the bird with both hands.
RE: [RFC][Info] Playing with Boom-Boom (Or, Antimatter and You - A Children's Parable)
Okay, so earlier I was thinking about how much physical recoil these beam-shots would have, because, facts are facts, photons have mass.

So let's go with the two examples I gave for in-setting use:

(04-12-2019, 03:59 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: However, what Jail doesn't know about is that Washu and Ben had been working on perfecting Ben's secondary mode: the Beam Cannon - where he annihilates a M/AM mix in his 'gun barrel', collimates the particles and photons, and unleashes hell.

And HELL indeed!!!  Joules translate directly into Watt/Seconds, or just Watts.  Running Labster's math, adjusted to fit with annihilation of ten nanograms of antimatter with ten nanograms of matter:

10^-8 kg * 2 * 8.988×10^16 m^2/s^2 = 1,797.6 MJ ... or about 1.8 GIGAWATTS.

The first time he fires that bad boy off, it's gonna make for a light show that, even though it only lasts for a second, will attract ALL KINDS of attention!  That might even be strong enough to have actual recoil to it!

".... Uhm, yeah.  I think I'm gonna have to reduce the yield on that bad boy."

And then...

(04-13-2019, 03:31 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: And boy, does Ben ever soften it up.  He waits until the ten-minute cool-down passes, and then fires up a Level 1 (1 μg) Beam Shot.

Math?  Math.

10^-6 Kg * 2 * 8.988*10^16 m^2/s^2 = 180 GIGAWATTS.

..... I'm not quite sure, but I suspect Ben just may have outdone Nanoha here.

And then tacky and crass jokes will abound about Ben feeling sore after that.  And not only Ben.  When Nanoha gets older and she and Fate start to... ahhh, experiment, Fate will derive no end of amusement by teasing Nanoha over it.

"You can't lie to me, Nanoha~.  I saw how flushed you were he did that~."

After that, Washu has a suggestion for Ben: Don't even think about firing off a Level 0 or greater in Beam Shot mode.  Masu-enhancement or not, she does not believe he can handle the strain.

So.

Momentum of an photon is given as p=h/λ, where p is the momentum of the photons (given as kg*m/s, which, quite conveniently translates directly into Newton-Seconds), h is the Planck Constant (Joule-Seconds), and λ is your photon's wavelength (Meters).

Wait.  We need to figure out what the wavelength is.

Fortunately, there's a formula for that, too.

λ = (hc)/E, where λ=wavelength in meters, h=Planck Constant in Joule-Seconds, c= Speed of Light in meters per second, and E is your energy in Joules.  NOW, I know that not everything is gonna be on this same wavelength... But I'm just gonna go Law of Averages, baby, and roll with it.

Math?

Math.

From the above quoted math we know that a 10ng Beam Shot, AKA Level 3, puts out around 1,797.6 MJ (1.7976*10^9)

So, wavelength...

((6.626*10^−34)*(3*10^8))/(1.7976*10^9)=
(1.9878 × 10^-25)/(1.7976*10^9)=
1.1058*10^-34 Meters  (Good grief!!!)

And now the impulse...

(6.626*10^−34)/(1.1058*10^-34)=
5.99 kg*m/s

Damn-near six whole fricken Newton-Seconds.

To give you an idea of what that's like, 1 N s is the same as a 420 gram football (FIFA specified weight for outdoor size 5) kicked to a speed of 8.6 km/h.
2.6 N s is the same as a 9x19 mm 7.5 gram pistol round launched at 350 m/s.
3.8 N s is the same as a 5.56 mm (0.223) 4 gram rifle round launched at 945 m/s.
And 6 N s is the same as the total impulse of a class C model rocket engine.

That's actually pretty damn substantial.

Now, what about the 180 GW "Level 1" shot?

Since you've already seen how the math is worked out, I'm gonna get cute here with Wolfram Alpha and plug the whole damn thing in at once.

p=h/((hc)/E)

(6.626*10^−34)/(((6.626*10^−34)*(3*10^8))/(1.7976 × 10^11))=
599.2 Kg*m/s

HOLY
FUCK
600 N s
!?!?
Just...  WOW.

For those of us that are Metric-impaired, that's about 135 lbs of Force.

Folks.

Benjamin is about to go like this:

Literally.  Like that.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_second#Examples
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physic...-momentum/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQ2GIefY58
So, he'ss gonna make like Goku at the Tenkaichi Budokai after the ring got destroyed and fly with the recoil from his kamehameha?

e: So will Razing Heart be shipping them? You know she loves the big badda beams!
--
‎noli esse culus
(04-29-2019, 03:46 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: So, he'ss gonna make like Goku at the Tenkaichi Budokai after the ring got destroyed and fly with the recoil from his kamehameha?

Not sure - never saw that episode myself. But it sounds about right.

(04-29-2019, 03:46 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: e: So will Razing Heart be shipping them? You know she loves the big badda beams!

It's going to be more Alicia that does that kind of thing. Heee.

Fate will tease her too, but will only do it in private.

Raising Heart on the other hand...

"GOOD MORNING, MY MASTER. I DETECT OPTIMAL ESTROGEN. TODAY IS GOOD FOR CONCEPTION!"

Raising Heart tries to be 'helpful'. And by 'helpful' we mean taking the machine mindset that if Nanoha can't really be upgraded, then she might as well create something that is superior to herself, and what better way than by using Benjamin's genetics? Sure, he has his deficiencies, but machines don't see them as such - with proper programming, the new versions will operate with much better efficiency than their original templates. Wink
Hmmm... somehow, I expect RH would work in a shooting metaphor... Maybe switch in "YOU CAN SHOOT IT" or "YOUR OVUM CAN BE SHOT" at the end? Something like that Tongue
--
‎noli esse culus
Some where in there is a joke about Raising Heart being lewd, a pervert,
and finding out that an Intelligent device can blush when embarrassed. ...
Heh. Bonus points if it's Bardiche that teases Raising Heart.