Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic is warmest it's been in 10,000 years
RE: Arctic is warmest it's been in 10,000 years
(04-18-2019, 04:03 AM)Epsilon Wrote:
(04-17-2019, 08:50 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Denying anthropogenic climate change at this point is like believing in a flat earth, a geocentric universe, that the moon landings were fake or being an anti-vaxxer (at least without the punch on sight felling that anti-vaxxers generate in me).

Anti-vaxxers get their way a bunch of people may die, but this is limited mostly to the immuno-compromised and anti-vaxxers themselves.

Climate change deniers get their way and there is a good chance our civilization collapses

I hate anti-vaxxers, but I hate denialists more.

Eh.  The world will still exist.  Whether or not society collapses... That depends on a lot of factors really.  But honestly?  I don't really see it because it's not like it's going to be like The Day After Tomorrow or 2012 or some other bullshit.

By comparison, it will be a slow and gradual thing where the coastal areas are slowly and inevitably inundated, and the rest of us get to say:
[Image: giphy.gif]

Yes, it will hurt.  There will probably be a stock market crash when all the petroleum companies have to make insurance claims for the off-chore rigs, as well as the refineries they lost, because most oil refineries are at coastal areas to put them within easy access to the harbor.  That, or major petroleum companies go under, flooding the labor markets with millions of people in all kids of fields and leave huge gaping wounds in our economies.  But things will still go on.  There's refineries far inland like the ones in the DFW metroplex, and most of the Eagle-Ford Shale discovery will survive.  That will be enough to keep things from becoming apocalyptically dire.  I seriously doubt anyone is gonna fire off nukes over this.

MAYBE India and Pakistan.  Though I think the rest of the world will know to stay the hell out of that mess and just let them duke it out.  It'll serve them right for getting all Nuclear Ghandi on each other's asses.

Which is why you see them backpedaling so hard on green energy and carbon-neutral solutions - the investors are smart enough to finally realize that, yes, it's real, and it will mean horrible horrible loses if these coastal- and sea-based operations get washed away in the ever-rising tide.

Too little, too late.  They merely comprise the top 1%.  They matter little in the end.  The only ones that can truly and effectively make change are the 0.01%'ers that own the controlling interests and bankroll the politicians.  And their attitude is that they can take the money, jump in their Lear jets, and fly off to some mountainous country that has no extradition treaties.

And as for the Denialists among the lesser educated among us?  Well, Denialists being what they are, they'll probably claim that it's some globalist left-wing conspiracy where they melted the ice caps with nuclear thermoelectric devices or some other bullshit.

But life for the next twenty or so years afterwards is gonna suck big brass ones.  It will be like life during WWII, with rationing and fear and worry abounding.  Though there will likely be no shortage of work that needs to be done.  Just not enough money to make it happen.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arctic is warmest it's been in 10,000 years - by Black Aeronaut - 04-18-2019, 05:33 PM