Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic is warmest it's been in 10,000 years
RE: Arctic is warmest it's been in 10,000 years
(04-25-2019, 07:00 AM)Rajvik Wrote: My argument is not whether or not any one point is true or false, it is that the whole damn cockamamie argument is actually a bullshit attempt at overt control through guilt and threat, ie extortion.

Okay, Labster already had a go at you, but  let's unpack all this, a little at a time, without the sarcasm.

(04-25-2019, 07:00 AM)Rajvik Wrote: My argument is not whether or not any one point is true or false

Well, evidently, it is, because your very next words are:
(04-25-2019, 07:00 AM)Rajvik Wrote: it is that the whole damn cockamamie argument is actually a bullshit attempt

Bullshit.  Key word here.

Anytime anyone calls bullshit on anything, you're also calling into question the veracity of the argument itself.

And to further back that up, you go on to say:
(04-25-2019, 07:00 AM)Rajvik Wrote: a bullshit attempt at overt control through guilt and threat, ie extortion.

You're essentially saying that this is a con, a scheme, a conspiracy.

It's not.

This is a warning backed by exhaustively peer reviewed scientific research.  It's not a "This might happen".  It's "This will happen".  And many scientist feel that we're pretty much at the bingo-line - the point of no return where anything we do will not prevent catastrophic effects.

Oh yes.  These effects will be a while in coming.  But it's going to be measured in years.

Not decades.

Years.

I'd honestly wager that between rising sea levels and underlying subsidence that Key West will be gone in just a few years.  Though the more pressing matter will be the rising sea levels and not so much the slow but steady geological subsidence.

On the bright side, places like Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Disney World, et al, are all gonna become some very interesting coral reefs within a few decades.  Once all the dust has settled, you know.

Rajvic: I'm gonna give you some honest advice, man.  And really, I do mean this in the kindest way possible and with no political motivations whatsoever:

Get out while you still can.  Sell your property while it's still worth something.  I know that property in Florida goes for a fair bit - it's 19th most expensive in the US with the median average being $165/square ft while.  Meanwhile, Texas is ranked at 23rd most expensive, with the median average being at $125/square ft.  We've got pretty much everything Florida has, including a strong Republican presence, especially on the outskirts of the cities where there's more of the inexpensive wide-open spaces Conservatives favor.

Really, take it into consideration.  This isn't any sort of "Green Agenda" where I'm trying to get you to buy into ecological solutions.  Only that right now, all the evidence is pointing at your property being under water in about ten years.  And then it won't be worth anything.

(04-25-2019, 07:00 AM)Rajvik Wrote: As for power systems, I would love for someone to find that magic pill that will solve everyone's power problems with no dangerous byproducts, I'm just realistic, (and yes, cynical) enough to realize that until that miracle arrives along with the storage capacity and motive tech to make use of it, that oil, coal and natural gas is what we have and we HAVE to use it no matter what the greens say.

We already have everything we need:
Wind
Solar
Hydroelectric
Tidal Energy (That is, the type that uses a dam in a coastal area)
Pumped Hydroelectric Storage (Water pumped to a higher altitude reservoir and allowed to come back down through turbines for surge production)
Geothermal (A lot more useful than some give it credit for)

There are few practical limits for applications.  Some people have had the idea of putting horizontally wind turbines over freeways to capture energy from the slipstream of the vehicles running underneath.  (Personally, I think solar panels would be better, because holy shit does it ever burn your eyes at certain times of the day around here.)

There've also been ideas about wind turbines on buildings in urban areas.  In fact, Houston had one such building...  But either shoddy craftsmanship or poor management caused that one of the turbines kinda self-destructed in an intense wind storm, sending debris down into the streets below.  Thankfully, no one was hurt, but the building's managers felt it best to dismantle the turbines.

Video here of the building when it had the turbines still:

To my knowledge, geothermal works very well in Hawaii and even in Alaska as well.

Normal hydroelectrical generation can also fill surge demands while still preserving a river's geography.  Just create a canal that feeds into a separate reservoir where the flow going in is carefully metered, and then another canal leading from the hydroelectric plant back into the river downstream.  That can easily provide surge demand at a moment's notice while having far less impact on an existing river.  (It can probably even make for a very effective means of flood control - see the storms coming before hand, empty the reservoir, and then let the flood waters fill it back up again.)

Any highland area can take advantage of pumped hydroelectric storage - which is also perfect for surge-demand.

Tidal energy less so, but it works in both directions and there's only a lull of a few hours before they change over to the other direction.

Intense sunlight increases A.C. use, but also generates more power with sufficient numbers of solar farms operating at a good efficiency level.

And this is nothing to say about the ever increasing versatility of solar power.  Some brilliant genius figured out how to recycle carbon dioxide into ethylene and ethanol from a photovoltaic power source, rendering the fuel it produces carbon-neutral.  And someone else had that artificial leaf that produces fuel-grade hydrogen from carbon dioxide.

But Trump doesn't like smart people.  Smart people intimidate him.  So he takes away their funding so they can't work on ideas that are better than his.  Never mind that most coal miners would jump at the chance for government subsidized retraining and assistance at finding other work, because holy fuck coal mining is dangerous work!

(You know that the current method is essentially underground strip mining with special machines that brace the ceilings with hydraulic jacks and slowly crawl their way over, one strip at a time?  Meanwhile, the miners can hear the earth collapsing behind them once the machine has moved on to the next strip.  Holy shit, that'd give me the heebie jeebies!  And this isn't even getting into how horrifically explosive the coal dust is - which requirees them to maintain positive-pressure ventilation at all times.  God forbid any of the ventilation fans fail while people are down there!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arctic is warmest it's been in 10,000 years - by Black Aeronaut - 04-25-2019, 10:27 PM