Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Server
RE: State of the Server
I bed now. @vyperpunk has invite privs, as well as @drenivan
*Sigh* I am now 'me' on 3 of the 4 servers....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(05-07-2019, 12:58 AM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: *Sigh*  I am now 'me' on 3 of the 4 servers....

Most of us are on Everlasting at the moment, if that helps, given that it's the unofficial RP server.
Terrence Knight has joined The Legendary
Radiation/Super strength. Supposedly radiation has very comparable Resistance if not better in some catagory's and i'm all about reduced endurance woes. gotta go super strength though for the glorious glorious KO blow animation.
(05-07-2019, 04:27 PM)Terrenceknight Wrote: Radiation/Super strength.

... Really? Really?
It does. Even though there were three of us on another server, I have gone ahead and concentrated on my 'me' (Star Ranger4@Star Ranger4 I think) on everlasting.

and it was really Surreal seeing myself having to be leveled down to work with Terr. I am SO used to it being the other way around back on Virtue
NO QUARTER!

(05-08-2019, 01:37 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote:

... Really? Really?

Yup! Still going to RP it as same ole Terr, rad armour was just me seeking something with similar resist values but other tools to work with. Perhaps once I've got a decent flow of income I'll roll up another Inv.

Although I do kinda wonder how we're treatin this whole return to CoH on the RP front, Where are people's headcannons at right now? We just going to pick up where we left off with who knows who and the such or will folks be treatin this akin to a new timeline?

Curious Cat wants to know.
(05-08-2019, 07:39 AM)Terrenceknight Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 01:37 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote:

... Really? Really?

Yup! Still going to RP it as same ole Terr, rad armour was just me seeking something with similar resist values but other tools to work with. Perhaps once I've got a decent flow of income I'll roll up another Inv.

Although I do kinda wonder how we're treatin this whole return to CoH on the RP front, Where are people's headcannons at right now? We just going to pick up where we left off with who knows who and the such or will folks be treatin this akin to a new timeline?

Curious Cat wants to know.

I've been operating as if time passed to explain power changes in mine.  You saw, I deleted Vyperpunk and rerolled her... twice. 

I dunno maybe a time displacement, hero ban, alternate realities... you're right though, we should probably figure out what our in character explanation for the passage of time is.
I haven't really addressed it yet, for the most part.  Some of my characters, it's become a moot point -- what with Ops soft-rebooting the Sabre franchise, as it were.

Others, like (for example) Katy Kaboom, I've rerolled with powerset changes, because while I liked the character, the mechanics (previously) didn't work so well.  So Katy is in kind of a limbo at the moment: it *could* be Original Katy, with the cataclysm having caused her to shift from her hodgepodge of non-lethal kinda-silly contraptions (Mind Control/Storm Summoning Controller, it was weird, man) to a more combat-focused arrangement (Mind Control/Electric Dominator).  Or 'this' universe (Everlasting) could be a completely alternate timeline, and the whole shutdown mess just didn't happen.  Or... or... or...

I guess my take is that, if I'm having this much trouble coming to a decision on my own characters, I don't know that we'll ever find a consensus that's satisfying to everyone.

--sofaspud
--of course we could just thumb our nose at the 4th wall and claim that the whole thing is a result of a comic-book writer's strike and this is the result of hiring new faces
This is why I kinda broached the subject, a lil communication helps instead of tryin to assume things lol. At the very least in my case I can easily go whichever way folks do lean towards. I have no qualms if we kinda wanna call this an alt timeline/restart sorta deal for sake of convenience but thats just my paltry opinion!
...and now you all have me wondering if, when I finally get on, if Evangelia should be college-age or older now. (Although any new incarnations of St. Trinians Girl or Kawaiiko-chan are going to remain school-aged, simply because of character concept.)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
My personal headcannon has to do with a story siting on my hard drive unfinished. Had to do with the Legendary holding that hidden room under the PI Arena and evacuating all we could before the end. DS, Terr and I were the last 3 out, cause DS and I were the ones who made the portal work and terr, cause... Terr. Net result (for me, if no one else) was Terr punching both ouf us and throwing us into the portal cause we were arguing about who should stay and die to keep the thing stable while terr got out.
NO QUARTER!

My personal take has been to treat it as a reboot of sorts, though "catching up" to the present is easy enough. But mostly that's been taking from Crisis on Infinite Earths.

For the non-comics familiar folks (what are you even doing here? Big Grin I kid), DC Comics had a multiverse model back in the day where you had all of the standard adventures on Earth-1... but then heroes from older comics (two different Flashes, for instance) ran into each other, and it became established that Jay Garrick Flash was from Earth-2. This sort of shenanigans happened all over the place before finally DC editorial thought it was too confusing for new readers.

Hence, the Crisis, where the Anti-Monitor sought to blow up all of reality to return it to nothingness, burning entire Earths, killing heroes in the process. He was stopped, but the multiverse was now just the universe, with a single Earth. Comic origins changed as new and old concepts were reworked to coexist in one universe. Jay Garrick was now the original Flash, with Barry Allen taking the name in reference to him after his retirement. The Justice Society of America now fought in World War 2 before disbanding, rather than just being Earth-2's Justice League. Things were different, except where they were still the same, and a lot of writers used it to smooth down rough patches from old canon.

For me, I'm basically treating the new servers as a new universe that's entirely likely to copy story beats from the old one. But it also allows for new things and approaches based off how I've changed my mind on things over several years. Hence Sylia being the only 33-S of the "classic" Sabre quartet, and Nene, Priss, and Linna all being Primal counterparts that she recruited here. Or Twilit Blade, my old Warshade, who's likely to be rerolled as a Dark/Dark Brute using Kheld-derived powers, but not actually be a Kheldian, similar to the Council Galaxy troops.

But things that aren't changing are, for instance, the reason Crey stole Sylia's hardware in the first place, and they'll likely continue to work to duplicate it. So there'll probably be a spate of Sabres as before, along with their Scimitar counterparts.

So, yeah, things will have changed, in my perspective, but they'll also have stayed the same in others. It's even possible that, much like the original DC Crisis, people may discover evidence of the old "crisis" when the universe was nearly destroyed before bouncing back a bit changed. That seems like an interesting story to tell to me. Wink
Ops, you of all people know that, despite my carefully-cultivated impressions of genius, I am an idiot when it comes to comics.

Shocking, I know.  I know.

But to put this in terms I can understand (no big words, please): the idea here is that ... what, the universe did in fact wobble but when it stopped being all topsy-turvy, it turns out it's still the same as before, except when it's not, and nobody notices the discrepancies because it's "always been that way"?

I mean, as explanations go, that's... not bad, really.  I could paper over the cracks easily enough with my characters, if/when it ever matters.  (Rhea's story [for any version] is unlikely to change, for example -- though for giggles I rolled up a truly Evil one this time around).
I could work with that.
--sofaspud
--
(05-08-2019, 12:46 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: My personal headcannon has to do with a story siting on my hard drive unfinished.  Had to do with the Legendary holding that hidden room under the PI Arena and evacuating all we could before the end.  DS, Terr and I were the last 3 out, cause DS and I were the ones who made the portal work and terr, cause... Terr.  Net result (for me, if no one else) was Terr punching both ouf us and throwing us into the portal cause we were arguing about who should stay and die to keep the thing stable while terr got out.

"Terrence.  You spent six years floating in an endless shadowvoid, soaked in the very essence of nothingness."

"Yep."

"No anything, no nothing, no..  no?"

"Yep."

"HOW ARE YOU EVEN SANE?"

"Meh."
My personal headcanon is that the lights came back on on the Universe.. and the door opened and a curl of cigar smoke proceeded the good 'ol blue and white, and Mag stepped back into Paragon City. Fuck the universe. Fuck the End of All Things. There's hellions out there that aren't being punched in the face - and that's a problem.
(05-08-2019, 06:11 PM)Sofaspud Wrote: But to put this in terms I can understand (no big words, please): the idea here is that ... what, the universe did in fact wobble but when it stopped being all topsy-turvy, it turns out it's still the same as before, except when it's not, and nobody notices the discrepancies because it's "always been that way"?

I mean, as explanations go, that's... not bad, really.  I could paper over the cracks easily enough with my characters, if/when it ever matters.  (Rhea's story [for any version] is unlikely to change, for example -- though for giggles I rolled up a truly Evil one this time around).
I could work with that.
--sofaspud
--

That's basically exactly it, yeah.

It allows the greatest amount of keeping what we want, while allowing narrative freedom with stuff you want to change. And it's a nice meta nod to the fact that the universe ceased existing for about 6 years before coming back. :lol
Who said Terrence was sane to begin with?
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(05-08-2019, 09:17 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Who said Terrence was sane to begin with?

There..is more truth to this than one may realize.

Edit: Given Terrence's actual background and how he arrived in Paragon initially back in the day I can very much work with OpMegs concept that he laid out. Honestly I love the idea and my brain has been latched onto it since I first read it and I'm very likely to go along with it. Moreso if more folks are willing to roll with it cause it would be nice if we could come to a bit of a hive mind consensus of this being somewhat of a reboot.

The bit that really sold me on it and sparked my own imagination was the concept of the original timeline certainly happened and there might be hints to be found somewhere. It works sooo well for me and Terr's story.

I -really- do want to do a full write up of Terr's background at some point as its pretty rich seeing as he started off as a Homebrew tabletop game character back when I was in my teens, pulled from a mundane home dimension he was given a few perks and made to survive in a high powered fantasy world. His time there was..not pretty but it left him with a very potent combat and detection skillset it also left him somewhat mentally ..not right through the events of his stay and development.

Now the entity that pulled him from his home dimension eventually once more uprooted him from that world and that is when he was deposited in the CoH universe as a means of amusement from its pawn and a sort of means to help give Terrence a chance to strengthen his moral compass by being around actual heroes and get him used to working with others once more.

My headcannon was most of his developed strength and chi reserves were -sealed- to force him to start from near scratch, it was only through his initial interaction with the well of furies that the seal was disrupted when the -Well- wanted to give him a taste of incarnate power which while he refused at the time on the basis that he didn't want to rely on something else to give him power instead opting to continue as he had training himself to strive to get back to the level of ability he had prior to paragon. However after that refusal later on he discovered he could start drawing forth some of his own strength and reserves that had been sealed, only a bit at first but over time he could start pulling on more of it over time working away at that seal. This was how i justified to myself how he could participate with incarnates, hell his Lore pets I eventually settled on being the Polar Lights was actually just ultra dense balls of chi that he'd mentally control and unleash parts of on separate enemies that he'd keep mental tabs on through his life force detection skills.

Where am i goin with this? Well that was just a brief rundown of how I envisioned things going prior to shutdown, its important because with Ops's idea I latched onto it with the thought of the -Entity- that has decided to use Terrence as its pawn decided it might be fun to pluck him out of the original timeline at shutdown and make him relive in this one. With TK fully remembering the original timeline but forced to start effectively from scratch looking a few years younger so again early-mid 20's and the lions share of his power sealed once more with exceptions being the initial gifts he had been given when he was first pulled from his home reality.

Now with that being said he'd be forced to deal with the fact everyone was a stranger to him this time around and have to constantly fight his own urges to interact with folks based on his own prior experiences knowing they didn't know him. This is kinda where my head is currently going forward for lore if more people Adopt Ops's idea of Old vs New timeline reboot.

The big thing that sparked all this for me was when Ops mentioned hints of the old timeline it made me think of one of Terr's gifts which was his own dimensional storage something he absolutely kept secret as he considers it one of is trumps with what he's all got stored away. Which plays into this timeline as my brain won't let go of the idea that he has access to all his items from the original timeline which could be a real interesting RP hook.

My brain played out a scene in this reboot when the group might first encounter Reichsman during a Khan run. The dimensional grounding ray, his would look weathered, kinda battered and much older looking than the new shiny ones that the others would have just freshly getting them to deal with Reichsman. Maybe a hint from the old timeline?

So anyways this has been on my mind since Ops rebooted the saber series.