Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re-read travelouge thread
re-read travelouge thread
Just got back on the forums, might as well get back on the fic..  

Sylia's really worked up about Rule 11..  poor thing, realizing that people are people and you need them!  Very pleased with her characterization.

Lisa's about to bite off more Doug than she can chew..

More as I find 'em!

Edit: Lisa. Derp.
RE: re-read travelouge thread
NA + JBG?

*googleyoogle*

oh. Oh no.
Jumping from Lisa and Linna to Dr. Ohara and Madigan and back to Leon and Daley, I'm struck at how _good_ Bob is.  I'm taking a break from a series that is on Kindle Unlimited clocking up reads and is utter and complete _trash_ from a mechanical and story crafting perspective.

THATS A HINT.
Thanks. I'd like to think that twenty years on I'm even better at it than I was then...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Then you should absolutely 100% be putting together some work in your own IP and getting it on Amazon as a nickle generator.

Finished DW2 last night. I am astounded at how cheesecloth my long-term memory is. I completely forgot about the IDEC job, the split with the Sabers, Quincy... It's mind blowing.

Damn good though. I skipped Dead Bang and am just getting to Doug's Confession in DW5. I've never been that big a fan of OMB, but I'm really enjoying this take on the Celestial Cold War - and I'm glad I wasn't the only one worried about LT's mood swings..
I just reread too, from needing to catch up on Dead Bang!  One thing I noticed:

DWII, 7 Wrote:"Weird..."

I shrugged. "Not really. It all makes sense on a quantum physics level.
"Makes sense" and "quantum physics" do not really belong in the same sentence, where "weird" definitely does belong.  What sort of loon would say that?

The neat part of the story is that every single character is working on partial information and makes mistakes based on it.  Even Quincy -- especially Quincy.  The reader gets a little thrill because we know vastly more than anyone else, but we're still pretty clueless until the end.

But really the plot is very tight, and the choices of all the characters matter.  One of the best compliments I got from a prereader was that it was like reading Bob's writing.  Which made me feel all warm and fuzzy, followed by the thought, "lol nope."  I can poke plenty of holes in my own writing, but not this.  The only holes here are assumptions about the future that didn't pan out, which aren't even that big of a deal in a world that is becoming more and more like BGC every day.

I go back and forth as to whether or not DW II or Dance of Shiva is my favorite BGC fic.  Technically, the writing in the Drunkard's Walk is far superior, and Biles has so many characters you end up losing track of why you should care about a few of them.  But the ending is so strong and emotional, you know?  It's like, how do I put this… the Holy Spirit is a muse, too.

It's just kind of a shame that Doug couldn't carry an extra Frequent Binger card into DW5, or his bike would have gotten even more awesome.

Only other comment is that I now have a opinionated Russian coworker named Ilya, which greatly improved my enjoyment of the IDEC sections.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Heh.

I'll take your compliments as intended, Brent, but like you, I can poke holes in my writing. That DW2 came out as well as it did... is as much by chance as by design, honestly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....