Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Quote:
The Ford Prefect scene was EVIL! Oh, the punishment!
Thanks. We both figured it was about time someone started slinging obscure pop culture references at Doug for a change.
Quote:
I'm really curious to see what would happen if/when Doug finds that all the worlds he's visited are fictional in others.
Well, I originally intended for that moment to happen in DW10, but as things are headed, it might happen a lot earlier. Then again, Doug might just consider it all a big coincidence, at least until the evidence piles high enough.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Re: Where to begin?
MOUSE and the other acronym?
I really feel sorry for Godboy. He just doomed himself. "Do not let him *near* my love life" A bit of foreshadowing there perhaps?
I wonder now that Megumi knows, she'll follow in the path of Lisa Vanette. Really give Chis headaches. A mortal girl that he dislikes is better at spellcraft than he is. ^_^

Quote:
Skuld's possible crush
Which really isn't, not the least because I don't want to copy Gryphon. In fact, I'm not sure what's going to happen there -- the original plan was that Skuld was going to end up regarding Doug as a big brother, but since we moved the plotline to the OMB universe, she already has one, so she doesn't need another.
Quote:
Chris' friends turning out to be heavnly in nature
It does sorta say something sad about Paradox, when you think about it. I haven't talked to Chris on this topic, but it does seem to me that he really does need more "earthly" friends, at least for the time being.
Quote:
The Ford Jokes... Which, in true brittish fashion didnt really hit until about half a page further down.
Thankyew. I came up with that batch of dialogue at least a year ago as a bit of a gag, but Chris loved it so we threw it in.
Quote:
Sure, I can see Bell feeling more than a bit uncomfortable about recounting what happened the night before, but everyone's reactions were priceless!!!
That's Chris's insight on the characters in action there. I probably would never have imagined an offended Belldandy, ever...
Quote:
Some Housekeeping notes though:
Thanks for catching these. I think I have them all fixed now. In addition, chasing these down I realized that in at least one place I assume I have a menu button for DW2, but as it turns out, I don't. Time to crank up the ol' paint program again...

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Quote:
Which really isn't, not the least because I don't want to copy Gryphon. In fact, I'm not sure what's going to happen there -- the original plan was that Skuld was going to end up regarding Doug as a big brother, but since we moved the plotline to the OMB universe, she already has one, so she doesn't need another.
mmm IMO one can't have to many big brothers...
but I wonder if skuld turning out to either having a crush or treating him like a big brother would make Doug feel more... er... friendly to the norn's bigger persona's :o _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Quote:
This ought to keep me for a month or so before I'll be back to biting my nails. That was the nice thing about discovering DW so late: I got to read DWII all at once.
Sorry to keep you waiting, then. Hopefully Chris and I can be a bit more prompt on ch 3.
Quote:
Let's hope Paradox at least gets around to explaining the "Hitchhiker's" references to him.
He probably will, although it's not explicitly planned yet.
Quote:
And if Doug is never going to Discworld, why not let somebody introduce him to those books?
We might, but I'm not sure intense book-reading action is something our readers are ready for yet.

-- Bob
---------
Re: More Commentary from the Peanut Gallery
Quote:
The possibility of making Doug's bike sentient a la Kino's Journey exists. Snarkier, though. Or, if Paradox gets involved, continue the HGTTG vein and make it the motorcycle equivalent of Marvin.
If anyone asks Doug about this kind of thing, he'll turn it down, for multiple reasons. Not the least of which is building an AI to be permanently locked to his motorcycle smacks dangerously of slavery to him.
Quote:
Doug's knowledge of engineering, electronics and whatnot is advanced of the OMB mortal realm, correct?
By a couple of decades, yes.
Quote:
I had an amusing mental image of Doug as Skuld's sensei in college. Her reaction alone would be worth it.
Hm. Amusing, but not likely -- Doug almost certainly couldn't provide sufficient documentation to qualify for an academic position.
Quote:
Mara's getting pissed. Doug may want to stock up on disco. Or good luck charms, but I disco would work better in his case.
Quote:
Lastly... Kludge Fu. Amazing. I hope to see more inane/insane/weird attack names!
Maybe. It wasn't intended as a big thing, just another bozo background detail from his life. We'll see.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
On the other hand, there are used-CD stores in Japan...
And in the shopping district of a college neighborhood? I'd be surprised if all six stores he mentions in the chapter didn't buy/sell/trade used CDs.
Doesn't mean he'll find a BGC disc, of course...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"'Will warp fabric of space-time for food,'"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- I was reading this at ~7am, and actually laughed loud enough to be heard by a neighboring cube-mate...
That's my favorite line in the whole chapter, I must admit, and I'm glad to hear that at least one reader had that reaction. True story: As a way of proofing the mostly-complete chapter, Peggy was reading it aloud to me as we drove down to visit my family back in June. When she came to that paragraph, she dissolved into giggles and couldn't start reading again for a couple of minutes. Up until that point I wasn't sure the joke worked there; after that, I had no more doubts.
Quote:
Chris is channelling a different BGC universe - which obviously follows from his area of control - if he can affect time, naturally he can access alternate realities... Something that the Three are trying to keep him from realizing (at this point, at least).
No, the Three are trying to keep him from realizing something else entirely -- and we've laid more than enough hints in the first two chapters for an alert reader to figure out just what it is. Hell, Urd almost "says" it to the reader during the books-and-videodiscs scene.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
>We once won a battle because one of the enemy ruptured a disk in his back lifting an Abrams tank the wrong way and ended up dropping it on
himself.
Heh, I'll take "Sucks to be you" for $400, Alex.
I'll take "Things You Never See In Comics, But Should" for $500...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Another good chapter, Bob. Very entertaining.
Thank you from both of us.
Quote:
What was that gnome song, though?
It's in the credits at the end, but to save you the effort of going to look for it, it's "The Laughing Gnome" by David Bowie. (Yes, the David Bowie. It comes from something like his very first album, back in the late 1960s.) I first heard it, btw, when I saw him perform it (with suitable co-stars) in an episode of The Muppet Show almost thirty years ago.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Let me see.. excellent work, as always, though somehow I can't help but almost feel sorry for the savage Whammy Mara is inviting on her head over this one...
Mmmmm. "Savage" is right...
Quote:
Does AMG seriously look like a world where Hidekai Anno would cook up Evangelion? It could very be that it simply doesn't exist there, just like how Doug doesn't know the Guide. (Maybe Anno did a Gunbuster TV series instead or something.)
That kind of reminds me of something in a thread on the Anime Addventure that I read a few days ago. The storyline has Ranma and Shinji trade places in their respective series because of a wish, and when Nabiki tells Shinji about Evangelion he says something to the effect of "Hideaki Anno? You mean the guy behind 'Otaku no Video' and 'Kare Kano'?"
Anyway, let me point out that Doug and transfictionality are not a plot point in this story, or at least not planned to be one.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Mara vs. Doug
Quote:
I somehow feel that a fight between the two of them will be a little unfair.
Oh yeah, but not for the reasons you're imagining.
Quote:
Mara will either end up running like hell or hiding behind Belldandy pleading for mercy.
She won't have time.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
MOUSE and the other acronym?
Explained in the Concordance.
Quote:
I wonder now that Megumi knows, she'll follow in the path of Lisa Vanette. Really give Chis headaches. A mortal girl that he dislikes is better at spellcraft than he is. ^_^
"Mundane Ordinary Power, Make-UP!"

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
mmm IMO one can't have to many big brothers...
But she doesn't have quite so desparate a need for one in this timeline as she would in a "canon" world.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Ok, Bob, die.
I've watched a little too much Sailor Stars and now have the image of her wearing the Starlight garb in my head. I need to go work this out, gah!
Worse than my signature.My biggest fear in life is HoagieOfDoom finding a portal to the Tenchiverse.
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
In the epic rage of furious thunder
legends create their tales
when the twilight calls and the dark lord falls
our glory will prevail

[Image: strikersetcfinal9_th.jpg]
Quote:
It may, for I can't recall whether or not Chris has let EVA exist as an anime in OMB!. If it does would Doug even bother to watch it and does any of the music trigger a power?
NGE does exist as an anime.
The only thing that *isn't* one is anything AMG-based.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Re: Paradox's friends being heavenly.
Due to a reason that will be revealed later, Nekomi is swarming with Celestial/Infernal influence. Paradox, as a Celestial, tends to attract friends of that nature. He's not as ticked about it as he appeared in that scene - he was more ticked *at* his friends at that time. He doesn't really care one way or another.
As Bob says, the fact that his only mundane friends happen to be romatic entanglements might be something for Paradox's sisters to get concerned about.
Re: Doug's electronics knowledge
Paradox is picking up some stupidly advanced tech through his interactions with Skuld. Like me, he's an engineer with a distinctly practical bent - he only cares HOW something works insofar as it related to WHAT he can do with it.
(Much like how I know in detail how every single piece of HW in my PC works, down to the quantum mechanics that make the transistors in the ICs work, but only care about how fast I can make it go Big Grin)
re: Paradox channelling another BGC universe
While he is, in fact doing that, we're hinting on something more here.
re: More brothers = good
Um. No. Paradox is a possessive jealous older brother. I look forward to the day I get to write a 'Skuld's first date' scene, or an 'Urd gets serious about a guy' scene.
--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Now for the C&C!
Quote:
The fact that (as far as Buckaroo and I could determine) I hadn't
aged a day in nearly 7 years, though, suggested that I wouldn't
need to worry (much) about racing the clock to make it back. It
suggested other things to worry about, but not that.
Yeah, like coming home and finding out that everyone else had aged!
Quote:
Anyway, this node-thing -- it had managed to find a "somewhere
else" to go to, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out
*where*. The power squirted *up* out of it, and then just
*vanished*. It was a constant flow, too, a hell of a one, but it
all simply... went away. And that was just *so* wrong.
It sounds like a form of power line..going up! Like a space elevator..maybe a celestial elevator? ^^

Quote:
Obviously, I didn't know the original names for most of the moves
and combos, so I'd long ago begun making up my own. Which was
how it came to be that I was flowing smoothly from "Rabbit Flirts
With Hunter" through "Overhand Pie Smash" to "Yappy Dog Bounces".
I was working on a transition into the more advanced "Wait For
Me, Bay-bee!" when I heard a little intake of breath behind me.
I spun and dropped into a crouch ("Cossack Dancer Stumbles"),
only to see nothing more than the tail end of a long lock of
black hair whip by the door post and vanish out of sight.
What...no "Hassan Chop?"...we did cover that one a long time ago. ^^
Quote:
Her eyes narrowed, and a brow marked with vicious crimson slashes
furrowed. "Yes, yes, you did," she replied peevishly. "And yes,
more than just an ordinary mortal. A magus, if I'm not mistaken.
Odd. I thought I knew who all the mages were on this mudball."
Mara rose to her feet with a loose-limbed, lazy-looking grace,
and strolled along the top of the fence to keep up with the pair.
Her steps were unconsciously certain and sure, her stride as
quick and confident as though she walked on solid ground, while
she focused her mystic senses on the mortal man below.
No, not just any mage. Are the mages in this dimension, the Harry Potter type? I guess the warrior mage may had died out since Merlin's time in this dimension.
Quote:
Skuld and Angel both looked at me and did a synchronized pair of
eye rolls that I found quite improbable but funny nonetheless,
while Keiichi -- who was clearly just as familiar with a certain
classic movie as the two gods were -- burst out with a bark of
laughter. (Good thing that Kubrick's "2002" obviously had
existed in that universe, too, otherwise that joke would have
fallen *so* flat.) I broadened the grin and nodded at him while
I sat down at the table, taking the same seat I had been guided
to the night before.
"Close enough for government work" as the saying goes..

Quote:
"A man can never have too many pancakes," he insisted. "
Actually, it's crepes.. ^^
Quote:
"And the Boss just *happens* to make universes that look
identical to works of fiction? Come on, he wouldn't... okay, he
would," Chris admitted, recalling that this was the same being
who owned up to using dice to make key decisions.
I wonder how Herr Einstein would take it if he knew the truth?
Quote:
Chris gave her an innocent look. "You three *were* going to give
me a place to live up there, weren't you?" He laughed at Urd's
expression, then grimaced. "I'll put these away, don't worry
about it. If you're serious about keeping this from our little
guest, we need to get Skuld to put a filter on our network
connection and *watch* him. Lackey's a bloody popular Western
author, and 'Kodomo no Omocha' has a big fan base. Luckily
'Bubblegum Crisis' and 'Buckaroo' are lower profile, but you'll
still want to make sure he doesn't catch on."
Cue theme from "Mission Impossible"...
Quote:
"No, that wasn't it... well, not *that* exactly." Skuld stopped
in the middle of the sidewalk again and turned a look of
confusion on him. She shook her head. "It's just... I don't
get it. How can someone who's that big a jerk do something
that... that... beautiful?"
Sniff..our little girl is growing up!

Quote:
Chris shook his head and drove the memory back, but his eyes
still rested on the katana with its black-and-gold saya.
Wrought-gold bosses punctuated the plain black lacquer with a
repetition of the angular, back-to-back double "B" symbol that
he'd seen in connection with the movie. He could imagine a
reproduction house offering a katana as a tie-in to the film, but
not one of this quality -- this was no $200 show-sword. His
training with Wayland came to the fore; even without touching it,
he could tell simply from the craftsmanship of the saya, hilt and
tsubo that this was a master-made blade, worth thousands -- maybe
tens of thousands -- of dollars.
If the back side of the katana can cut thru a concrete pillar..I'd be impressed!

Quote:
Score one for Urd and freakin' absurdity,* he reluctantly
admitted to himself. *No master smith would make a movie
"souvenir" sword.* Chris allowed himself a moment to wonder if
Sangnoir knew how to use the weapon. *I wonder what it'd be like
to spar with someone who *couldn't* beat the crap out of me with
his eyes closed.*
How about in his sleep? ^^
Quote:
Behind me, Chris suddenly spoke up. "It hitchhiked?" There was
a hint of a smile in his voice I didn't understand.
Took me a while to figure that one out...
Quote:
"Other than it's an ugly offense against the aesthetics of any
right-thinking engineer?" the girl replied absently. "No." She
chewed on her lip for a few moments. "Yes," she finally said
with a sigh. "It's a jury-rigged mess that takes way too much
power to do way too little. There are so many easier ways to
make a grav drive this small that use much less power and have so
many other features." Skuld looked up at Megumi and grimaced.
"If I *don't* improve it, it's going to gnaw at me for*ever*."
Montgomery Scott would really love her...but I still shudder when she cobbled up a full working Karl Morser!
Quote:
Keiichi and Chris looked at each other and shared a grin. Then
Chris cleared his throat and loudly asked, "Is this a private
game, or can anybody play?"
The way I hear it was "Is this a private war or can anybody join in?" Major General Terry Dela Mesa Allen, 1st Armored "Old Ironsides" Division, March 1943, Tunisian campaign
Quote:
As the little goddess bleated her offense at the indignity of
this unwarranted liberty and Megumi continued to giggle, Chris
smiled and shook his head. *Not so twitchy now, is he? I can't
believe this nutbar is the same guy who seemed so dangerous
yesterday. What happened?*
Pot calling the kettle black...^^
Quote:
The short man shook his head with a wry smile. "Sorry, no. I'd
rather the stuff I drive stay on the ground."
Sez, the guy who flew a Shinden...but I digress
Quote:
That got my interest, and I was about to ask her what was up,
when I heard a bang followed by a deep, gravelly voice bellowing,
"MO-RI-SA-TO!"
Sound the alarm!...Ogre at the gates!

Quote:
My first look at the sempais did nothing to reassure me. Based
on what little I'd heard, I *had* been expecting a couple of
grease monkeys in dirty coveralls. Instead, I found a pair of
thuggish goons. One was punked out in black leather and
sunglasses, topped off with an improbably and enthusiastically
vertical bleach-blond hairdo that defied both description and
gravity
Actually, the most striking feature would be the truck spark plugs dangling from his ear lobes...I think you forgot that part.^^
Quote:
Some well-trained clump of neurons somewhere in the back of my
head, loosely leashed due to my confusion and distraction,
interpreted "big guy rushing at me" as an attack, and took
control. The bright white light of the late afternoon
immediately slid into the blue end of the spectrum as I combat-
hyped. I'd neatly dodged his grab and my hand was already
snaking out in a retaliatory palm-strike before my mind could
reassert control over my body. I couldn't abort the strike, not
without hurting one or the other of us; the best I could was pull
the blow as much as I could -- which probably saved his life.
It was probably a palm strike to the solar plexus. Lemme guess..at full force, it would had gone through him. Boy, that would be a shocker!
Quote:
*Note to self: Do not allow this man to advise me on my love
life. Come to think of it, do not allow him *near* my love
life.*
What's the matter?..afraid that he'll convince Ami and Rachel to form a manage a trois? Urd will really love that! ^^
Quote:
In this case, though, watching Tamiya's impromptu demonstration
of ballistic motion was something Chris wouldn't have missed for
the world. Maybe now the musclebound idiot would learn a bit of
restraint.
Not likely, but maybe.
If he doesn't he's a prime candidate for removal from the gene pool!
Quote:
"I always told ya you'd
pull that shit on the wrong person someday, Tamiya, and you'd get
yer ass kicked." He reached out a hand, which Tamiya took and
used to haul himself to his feet.
Pain makes an excellent teacher...heck it even took Pavlov took a few tries to get his dogs to drool on command. Of couse, the dogs were much smarter.
Quote:
A feral growl escaped her throat. Sangnoir wasn't going to get
away from her *that* easily. Powerful, so powerful he could
blank his Yggdrasil entry. She had to get him for Hell. She
would see him broken and fallen to the Dark. It was a personal
challenge now, and Mara would *not* fail, Stormsdaughter or
no.
I can see it now...the first and probably last fight between Doug and Mara is going to be like the life of a medieval serf..short, brutish and nasty.
A tip of the hat to both you and Chris...well worth the wait!
Bob, you and Chris may have to place a disclaimer stating in what dimension this is supposed to be..I've seen a few comments on FFML thinking that the story is based on the new anime series that just finished recently.
Let me go on a tangent. I've been thinking on the Doublet system. If it's a form of MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction ), then you don't have to link each demon and divinity. You just have to link enough of them that the odds of getting away with killing a demon or god is pretty slim and the consequences pretty gruesome to deter anyone to act, let alone think of the deed.
But what would happen if Mara was was among the lucky (or unlucky) exceptions? Doug wouldn't believe anything she says at this point. And knowing Doug's habbit of skewing probability..*shrug*
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Now for the C&C!
Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------
The short man shook his head with a wry smile. "Sorry, no. I'd
rather the stuff I drive stay on the ground."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sez, the guy who flew a Shinden...but I digress
End Quote
Yeah, and the Shinden didn't want to let him land.... After that, I'm not surprised he prefers to stay on the ground!
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:
"And the Boss just *happens* to make universes that lookidentical to works of fiction? Come on, he wouldn't... okay, he would," Chris admitted, recalling that this was the same being who owned up to using dice to make key decisions.
This is the same god who incarnated himself as a marshmallow bunny and had two beautiful women threatening bodily harm to him with various deadly insturments and all he would say is "puu" Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor? Running around as Mokona has to be one of his biggest jokes.
With all the refrences to her in this chapter, is Wetter Hexe going to make an appearance later on? What is she going to think of Paradox.
As to Doug and the 'promise', I can imagine this happening:

Hexe sighed as she looked at Doug. "Dougie, just how did you wind up under another geas to the same gods?"
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Quote:
"And the Boss just *happens* to make universes that lookidentical to works of fiction? Come on, he wouldn't... okay, he would," Chris admitted, recalling that this was the same being who owned up to using dice to make key decisions.
I believe it was Stephen Hawkings who said - "God not only does plays dice with the Universe, he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen."-Logan
-----------------
"Because Science DEMANDS it!!"
-----------------
Quote:
If it's a form of MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction ), then you don't have to link each demon and divinity.
The doublet system has ALWAYS bugged me.
Especially the way its supposedly random in who whomevers doublet might be.
Correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't that mean the demons could say 'lets kill all our *own* cannon fodder!' and thus inflict a dispproportionate amount of casualties( by aggregate power level) on the other side?
Although, with the hints of Mara/The Three being childhood friends, and Urd's parentage... maybe the Great War isnt very hot, and hasnt been for a looooong time.
While I have a moment:
Quote:
Paradox is a possessive jealous older brother.
The ANGEL thy brother is a jealous brother; thou shalt not have any brothers before him.

-- Bob
---------
Now this... is nifty. Smile
-That "Story of O" quote... unless I miss my guess, that's actually a slight misquote from "The King in Yellow."
-Is that really a line from an actual IBM manual?
-I see Doug has been wondering about "his" Japan vis-a-vis the multiverse. Smile
-Was Doug stuck in the Banzaiverse for seven years?!
-Hey, the temple's a Tether!
-Stormsdaughter? Do you and Helen really expect us to believe that Hexe isn't grey-eyed Athana Potnia? Smile
-Why does Urd not want Doug to learn about transfictionality?
-Smarmy-dono. Hee.
-Skeeball! Nekomi truly is a place favored of the Gods.
-Ah, Japanese ice cream. The only weirder food is Japanese pizza.
-Chris's friends: That's a whole lotta gods/Soldiers/relatives/whatever. (I'm guessing the whole Grigori unpleasantness didn't happen around here, or happened quite differently.)
-Gravity tech is overrated. Arbitrary creation and transformation of velocity, that's the coming thing. Smile
-Skuld is an Orz! Run for your lives, *happy campers!*
-Doug needs to visit Cromartie High.
-Marller has absolutely no idea the trouble she's in...
--Sam
"An object at rest--CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"
Quote:
Bob... Fuchizaki Yuriko (Megumi's seiyuu) wasn't a Sailor Senshi. (She was in Sailor Moon S, as the villain Cyprine, though.) Mind you, she did have a rather important role in Utena, and a less-important role in Sakura Wars, two other places you've mention Doug might visit. (What? Oh, right: Himemiya Anthy and Ri Kohran, respectively.)
Although this doesn't really matter, since Doug didn't comment on how much Skuld sounds like Lisa Vanette... or does it? Maybe he just hasn't noticed yet... (He hasn't yet had a chance to "get small" and meet a rat that sounds just like Kodocha's Tanaka-sensei, so that data point isn't available.)
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012