Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Re: Now for the C&C!
Replying to ordnance11...
(silly maneuver names)
Quote:
What...no "Hassan Chop?"...we did cover that one a long time ago. ^^
And we agreed it was a sword maneuver. Doug was practicing his unarmed style.
(Paradox not wanting Doug's advice on his love life)
Quote:
What's the matter?..afraid that he'll convince Ami and Rachel to form a manage a trois? Urd will really love that! ^^
I suspect that Paradox is worried that, if Doug offered love-life advice, his apparent aura of chaos would cause Ami and Rachel to contemplate a menage a trois with Urd...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
(Used CD stores...)
Quote:
And in the shopping district of a college neighborhood? I'd be surprised if all six stores he mentions in the chapter didn't buy/sell/trade used CDs.
Doesn't mean he'll find a BGC disc, of course...
He probably won't - most of the people who had the CDs at that point were the die-hard fans, and they wouldn't be willing to sell their copies. However, there's been a small but steady supply of used copies since they went out-of-press, so even now not every owner is a die-hard fan...
Yes, I know that story reasons require the likelihood of Doug finding BGC or Kodocha soundtracks as likely as pigs flying. (Put the copies of Tonde Buurin down, folks.) It's still sufficiently interesting to analyze the problem, though...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
The ANGEL thy brother is a jealous brother; thou shalt not have any brothers before him.
But Doug would be a brother after Paradox...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:
-Stormsdaughter? Do you and Helen really expect us to believe that Hexe isn't grey-eyed Athana Potnia? Smile

It's grey eyed Pallas Athena if you go by Greek myth and I think Bob covered that in the concordance. Stormsdaughter is a red herring and Athena is wisdom and battle and has no real power over storms. Hexe is one of the older dieites. Athena is fairly young as godesses go. I'm not going to dig into the Celtic, Babylonian, Sumerian, or other aincent myths to try and figure out who Hexe is. It would be a waste of time. OTOH I do enjoy reading myths, so it might not be a waste for me. For all we know, Hexe could be Daghda Mor(Celtic) or Sehkmet(Egypt) or Meadowlark(American Indian) or even a goddess from China.
What we do know of Hexe:
Aincent goddess that is no longer worshipped
She is from one of the really aincent myths.
She may or may not have weather as her sphere of influnece as a goddess.(Probably does)
The name Wetter Hexe points to Germany as place of origin.
Logically we have this: A goddess from the Germanic area myths that existed way before the Roman Empire that has influence over weather.

Take the blinders off your eyes. There are myths other than Greek, Roman, and Norse which are older. Assyria, Iberia, Illeria?
Myths older than Egyptian is doubtful, due to the Cradle of Life position that Egypt was in at the dawn of humanity.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
When Doug does eventually twig to the whole transfictionionality deal, well, when he gets to the point of making jokes about it, I reccomend a mention of the Gundam ZZ theme song. (Translated) It's not anime! It's not anime! It's... reality!
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Will there be a universe in the future where every fic Doug has visited so far contains a Doug? If so will people notice that this character is pretty much consistent despite appearing in numerous fics? Will he be easily recognizable to whoever has seen/read one fic? (like: "You look just as described/shown in ! Great act!") -- and will his prospective enemies know of his powers and all the songs he has used so far?
-- Cal
Quote:
Yeah, like coming home and finding out that everyone else had aged!
Not really a problem. He'll just find a time traveler/time machine and go back to when he left initially.
Quote:
It sounds like a form of power line..going up! Like a space elevator..maybe a celestial elevator? ^^
We've already said exactly what this was in the first chapter.
Quote:
What...no "Hassan Chop?"...we did cover that one a long time ago. ^^
As someone's already noted, that's a sword technique. Of course, Doug has a sword now...
Quote:
Are the mages in this dimension, the Harry Potter type?
Chris has no problems with us implying the existence of active mages in the OMB universe's modern day. Harry Potter-type? Probably not quite that restricted -- magic in OMG/OMB seems to be quite fluid and flexible.
Quote:
I wonder how Herr Einstein would take it if he knew the truth?
See the concordance.
Quote:
Pot calling the kettle black...^^
Well, yeah, there is a little bit of that there.
Quote:
Actually, the most striking feature would be the truck spark plugs dangling from his ear lobes...I think you forgot that part.^^
Indeed I did, and apparently so did Chris and all our prereaders...
Quote:
A tip of the hat to both you and Chris...well worth the wait!
Thank you from both of us!
Quote:
Bob, you and Chris may have to place a disclaimer stating in what dimension this is supposed to be..I've seen a few comments on FFML thinking that the story is based on the new anime series that just finished recently.
Yeah, that's what you get when you have all these young whippersnappers on the List who don't know the continuation of a classic fic when they see one. Seriously, we probably will be reduced to that.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Quote:
With all the refrences to her in this chapter, is Wetter Hexe going to make an appearance later on?
Unfortunately for all you Hexe fans, Hexe will be "Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Picture" for DW5.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Quote:
Although, with the hints of Mara/The Three being childhood friends, and Urd's parentage... maybe the Great War isnt very hot, and hasnt been for a looooong time.
Not on this timeline, no.
Hm.
Okay, teeny little teaser time. The following is from the very last scene of the story, end of the last chapter. (Disclaimers: Of course, as the story evolves, this may change. But at the moment, this has a solid, firm position. And I should note that I've cut out some context that would be serious spoiler material.) "Heaven and Hell are less... antagonistic in this world and itsparallels than you are perhaps used to. We're not enemies at each others' throats... Well, not usually. We're more like two competing teams in a cutthroat sporting event -- each out to win over the other at all costs while the contest lasts, but outside of that contest we can be civil and even friendly with each other. In this skein of universes, Heaven and Hell share the same goal -- the ultimate perfection of the human race. We simply disagree on our methods and the definition of 'perfection'."

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
-That "Story of O" quote... unless I miss my guess, that's actually a slight misquote from "The King in Yellow."
-Is that really a line from an actual IBM manual?
In both cases I cannot confirm or deny; the quotes come from my multi-megabyte quote collection, most of whose contents I've lifted from other people's posts and quote collections.
Quote:
Was Doug stuck in the Banzaiverse for seven years?!
No. The worlds seen in the Drunkard's Walk stories are not the only ones he's visited. They're just the only ones where things hit the fan in one way or another.
Quote:
Hey, the temple's a Tether!
Ten points to Lurker! How many of you remembered this line from chapter 1? I thought you could check them and maybe find out what they are. Sitting on top of the Tether ought to make it easy.Or this one? "Hello, Father," Skuld said. "I... No, the Tether is just fine.
Quote:
Stormsdaughter? Do you and Helen really expect us to believe that Hexe isn't grey-eyed Athana Potnia? Smile
Yes, we do.
Quote:
Why does Urd not want Doug to learn about transfictionality?
For the very reason she says in the text -- if Doug starts digging through the handy material with Chris over his shoulder, it'll cause problems with a little something of Chris'.
Quote:
(I'm guessing the whole Grigori unpleasantness didn't happen around here, or happened quite differently.)
Chris hasn't said one way or another to me, and he's the final authority here.
Quote:
Marller has absolutely no idea the trouble she's in...
Oh boy, have you got that right.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Where to begin?
Quote:
since Doug didn't comment on how much Skuld sounds like Lisa Vanette...
Hm. Forgot about that. Maybe we'll do that in the next chapter. Maybe. Not like it's a plot point or anything.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
What we do know of Hexe:
Aincent goddess that is no longer worshipped
She is from one of the really aincent myths.
She may or may not have weather as her sphere of influnece as a goddess.(Probably does)
The name Wetter Hexe points to Germany as place of origin.
On the last point, yes -- that's where she was born and raised for 16 years before her powers and true identity manifested. I can't remember whether it's explicitly in the FAQ or not, but basically, Hexe-that-was incarnated in the very first available human baby capable of containing his/her/its essence.
Outright error in the above: "No longer worshipped". No. The FAQ file explicitly says "There are probably people still worshipping the expression(s) of her divine nature which she used before incarnating into a human body." Just to be fair, I'll clarify that. There are still members of the ethnic group who traditionally worshipped Hexe's original expression worshipping that expression.
Unwarranted assumptions, based on nothing in the text of the FAQ: That the deity who is Hexe is European. That that deity is necessarily female, or even has a gender. (Doesn't mean you're wrong. Just that you have no evidence for saying or implying these things.)

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Will there be a universe in the future where every fic Doug has visited so far contains a Doug? If so will people notice that this character is pretty much consistent despite appearing in numerous fics?
I will probably not do this, as it's too close to Skysaber's schtick. That said, I'm sure there's a timeline out there somewhere that fits.
And the Warriors do exist as fictional entities in other universes, even if you discount ours. Doug will someday, in a future installment, be handed a stack of the complete run of "Warriors: Alpha" comic books, written by Jim Quincy and drawn by Vince Russell. Issue #1 contains an extended flashback to how he joined the Warriors...

-- Bob
---------
Re: Grigori
The bit with the Grigori *did* happen. It's part of the reason nobody really has any warm fuzzy feelings for the Judeo-Christian pantheon. It's hard to like a group that says you have no business being a god. And no, I don't mean Paradox, I'm talking about guys like Hercules.
Re: The ANGEL thy brother is a jealous brother; thou shalt not have any brothers before him.
*snerk*
Re: God being Mokona
In the MKR universe Paradox has a part of, Mokona's somewhat more seperate from the Oversoul than J.Average.Kami-sama. The interesting bit to think about, is what role does *Paradox* take in that Uni.

Actually, I think I'll take a Gryphonic moment here and advise you all to go peruse the Toychest Archives:
yggdrasil.org/cross/godstoy/teasers.txt
That will get important later.
(Oh, and if anyone feels like doing some more drabbles for that, let me know. I'll give you ground rules to play with.)--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
Quote:
Doug will someday, in a future installment, be handed a stack of the complete run of "Warriors: Alpha" comic books, written by Jim Quincy and drawn by Vince Russell. Issue #1 contains an extended flashback to how he joined the Warriors...
----------------------------------------------------------
"Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!"
I noticed you mentioned the same concept in the Concordance, referring to Paradox waving around the GURPS sourcebook for Warriors World.
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Interesting...
Quote:
"Heaven and Hell are less... antagonistic in this world and its
parallels than you are perhaps used to. We're not enemies at
each others' throats... Well, not usually. We're more like two
competing teams in a cutthroat sporting event -- each out to win
over the other at all costs while the contest lasts, but outside
of that contest we can be civil and even friendly with each
other. In this skein of universes, Heaven and Hell share the
same goal -- the ultimate perfection of the human race. We
simply disagree on our methods and the definition of
'perfection'
."
To quote Rommel..."War without hate."
What you've described sounds exactly like the competition between Coke and Pepsi.
What strange and curous thing it must be to Doug..to fight without hate. Because without hate, you take away (for humanity at least) the strongest impulse to fight.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Interesting...
Quote:
What you've described sounds exactly like the competition between Coke and Pepsi.
Marller: The Choice of a New Generation!
Urd Classic!
New Skuld!
Cherry Belldandy!
This is going (has gone?) nowhere good.... but it amuses me nonetheless Smile-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Re: Interesting...
Bob clarified:
Quote:
That that deity is necessarily female, or even has a gender. (Doesn't mean you're wrong. Just that you have no evidence for saying or implying these things.)

I'm curious.. how does the whole stormsdaughter name thing fit in? Is it merely a title? because its kinda gender/sex specific there.. _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
From the DW FAQ:
Quote:
Q: What does it mean when Celestial characters call Hexe "Stormsdaughter"?
A: Absolutely nothing. It is in fact a red herring that I cooked up in order to avoid using Hexe's true name as a deity. In terms of Who Hexe really is, it means nothing and is in fact deliberately misleading. And it should go without saying that Helen has never used anything like it in play.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Stormsdaughter
I'm so sorry. I should have known better and read the faq. Its what its there for in the first place.
Re: Stormsdaughter
No apology needed. Worry not.

-- Bob
---------
Wow. Awesome work you two!

Quote:
She
brushed the trailing ends of the younger goddess' raven cowlick
out of her eyes for a moment. "He's going to be with us for all
eter... forever, after all
; it's not like they can steal him away
from us. Can't you share Oniisan for just a mortal lifetime, if
it makes him happy?"
Uh-oh. Maybe I'm investigating this too closely, but something here smells fishy and it's not the leftovers in my fridge.What if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
(Put the copies of Tonde Buurin down, folks.)
*dies*Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Re: Re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
>Uh-oh. Maybe I'm investigating this too closely, but something here smells fishy and it's not the leftovers in my fridge.
Well in english most accept that eternity & forever basically mean the same thing. Yet, Paradox...he's the new guy on the higher plains and as such he's missed a fair section of that multiverse's eternity - unless someone's been retconning him back into earler times...
Gah, you do realise now that - unless said otherwise - Paradox is one of the few deities that can be affected by certain forms of temporal manipulations. Dang, that would be a story to read: Paradox, Destiny, a Guardian Angel and a Ranma or two...um why? Temporal causality effects of 'Pissing off Pluto'? (For anyone wondering why no embodiment of the Ultimate Force, his playpen's been distorted enough)
--Rod.H
Quote:
(Put the copies of Tonde Buurin down, folks.)
Huh?

-- Bob
---------