Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Sorry - the board didn't get my expression of amusement.
Tonde Buurin is a series about a magical girl... who in her magical girl powered up form is a humanoid pig, with a cape. So she can fly. Thus jokes about 'when pigs fly' in anime are soemtimes rebutted by some anime fans with "hold on I have some Tonde Buurin around here..."Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Nice story, guys!
Uh, Bob, I think you might have missed something in the Concordance. In the scene where Chris is talking to his friends, including the servitor of Lightning, some people (read: people who aren't familiar with IN) may not know who Chris is referring to or why the triads are important.
On a similar note, how much actual authority would a triad (or, for that matter, Dominic him/herself) have over Chris?
Quote:
Pain makes an excellent teacher...heck it even took Pavlov took a few tries to get his dogs to drool on command. Of couse, the dogs were much smarter.
No, the dog were easy. The cat, on the other hand, was a total embarassment.
"Day One: Rang bell. Cat f*cked off." - Eddie IzzardEbony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Re: Now for the C&C!
Quote:
"Heaven and Hell are less... antagonistic in this world and its parallels than you are perhaps used to.
But then not all dimensions called hell need be analogs, nor all demons.
You've distinguished before between dark gods and true demons, and implied that Lovecraft-style Elder gods are something else again.
Some writers use 'demon' for powerful creatures of the mortal plane, generally unfriendly, often natives of other physical dimensions, but not of the spiritual planes. Doug, presumably, would consider them alien species.
If all the 'demons' in this skein of universes are technically dark gods, if the true demons and Elder Gods have no foothold there, then the eternal war would be a lot quieter.
As for transfictionality, there are people in this world arguing, with some scientific justification, that our world is almost certainly fictional. Nor, considering their general morals, would many gods hesitate to plagiarise.
If sometimes they base universe B on a fiction written in universe A, and universe A on one written in universe B, well, they are gods. Defying causality is their bread and butter.
We can't expect Doug to be familiar with all the philosophical speculation on gods and multiverses though. It would be a poorer story if he was, and his ignorance amuses - as does the rest of the chapter.
Just got around to reading this!
Great chapter and I loved all the Easter Eggs(though I think some flew over my head as per usual)!
The flow of the entire thing is nice and 100+ kb just flew by. Now I want more again. ^_^ I'll patiently hold off dying until you at least finish DW V! ^_^
Kudos and keep up the good work!
Re: Re: Chapter 2 Is Now Available!
Quote:
Uh-oh. Maybe I'm investigating this too closely, but something here smells fishy and it's not the leftovers in my fridge.
Hmm.
I can't say much on this without spoiling things, but a cookie for picking it up.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
A chocolate chip cookie.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
A cookie?
Ah, Chris....didn't you already write a sort of aftermath story between your avatar and Ami and Rachel? So what happened is already covered..how it happened is the fun part!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: A cookie?
For the n+1th time....
Turn the Page is AU from OMB/DW. Peripherally related, but AU.
In fact, the prologue I've written (and the first story) you've all seen is massively outmoded.
If you check the relevant page on my site, you'll see that.--
Ahh..
Sorry about that..been about 3 years since I've checked back on the site.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Something that's been bugging me.
Dunno whether to post it here or on the Drunkard Walk forum..so advance apology if I'm wrong.
In XXXholic, Yuko Ichihara, the Witch of Dimensions,stated in the case of Syoran and company, that they will encounter people that they had met again and again in the course of their travels thru dimensions in their mission to retrieve the feathers.
Doug, prior to landing in the OMB/OMG dimension, probably hadn't encountered that problem because he's been thrown way out there...probably on the other side of the globe, if you think of the multiverse as a bubble chain shaped like a glove.
So if Paradox recognizes the Doug's homeline, even as a RPG, there's a good chance Doug is closing on his dimension.
So it raises two interesting questions:
What happens when he starts meeting people he's met (friends and enemies) before in his homeline?
What happens when he meets a dimensional counterpart of Maggie?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Something that's been bugging me.
OOOoh good point ord. Good point. but then as always this is subject to the authors making it a plot point at all. I mean sure there could be a Maggie somewhere in the OMB universe... but she'd probably be a normal person, maybe blind since birth in a bit of odd synchronicity, and living in a totally different part of the world.
Maybe one would even be able to imagine her with a totally devoted mortal man named Doug as well Smile _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
Quote:
I mean sure there could be a Maggie somewhere in the OMB universe... but she'd probably be a normal person, maybe blind since birth in a bit of odd synchronicity, and living in a totally different part of the world.
Probable, but extremely unlikely. Since the concept of Doug's dimension exits only as an idea/concept, it quite unlikely that there is a dimensional counterpart of the Warriors in the OMB /OMG universe.
The way I see it, is that at the very least there has to be a concept of a character for that character to exist in an alternate dimension somewhere.
Now if you go from the following progression of steps:
concept (a RPG/wargame at the low end to a completed campaign at the other end)
written record (fanfics to a series of novels)
still visual record (from one picture to comics/manga)
moving pictorial record (from cartoon/manga at the low end, CG animation in the middle to live action at the high end)
the amount of the verbal/written record also counts.
If you look at the progression, there is a very good chance that there are dimensions where Sailor Moon, Sakura Taisen, Oh My Goddess! and NGE are real. There are manga, anime and live action shows done on all of them. The odds are good on also any DC or Marvel character that made it to the small or big screen.

So, if Doug starts seeing comics of the Warriors somewhere, he's getting real close. He should check out the comic book and manga stores everytime he lands in a late 20th century, but that reminds of of another author's schtick whose names escapes me at the moment.
It makes me wonder at times whether all those wargame campaigns I've played is really an alternate history somewhere, but I'd prefer not to know.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Something that's been bugging me.
Quote:
Probable, but extremely unlikely. Since the concept of Doug's dimension exits only as an idea/concept, it quite unlikely that there is a dimensional counterpart of the Warriors in the OMB /OMG universe
hah but then surely if the multiverse was so big then surely there are universes that WW exists as more than a concept, and in turn spawning more 'verses where the characters would be dimensional counterparts Big Grin
or am I thinking without a box? _____________________________
HK-47: "Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"
You know, I just realized that Bob did cover this in DWII in his talk with Quincy! I mean, Mr. Big was an avid RPG guy in his college years.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Something that's been bugging me
I got the impression, from the explanation in the Concordance of the term "Drunkard's Walk," that it doesn't really matter if he's getting "closer" -- more nearly parallel -- to his home universe, because the next Gate he opens may take him further away -- or may skip however many intervening worlds to drop him into Maggie's arms. And he has no way of knowing in advance which will happen.
You seem to be thinking more along the lines of an Amberite "hellride," where they transfer themselves into worlds that're more and more like the one they're looking for, until they're finally there.
Of course, I might be all wrong. I often am.
DHBirr
"Strygalldwir is my name. Conjure with it and I will eat your heart and liver."
"Conjure with it? I can't even pronounce it," I said, "and my cirrhosis would give you indigestion...."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Slaps me forehead!
Yeah, Quincy wasn't just an gamer, he was Doug's player and an analog of Doug. Or at least that's what Doug told Madigan.
--
#2 It has a nine-year-old heroine. This is good enough for the industry, which
believes that books with children as the main protagonist are de facto books
for children. For similar reasons, Moby Dick is very popular among whales.
-Terry Pratchett on "[Wee Free Men is] a children's book because: "
Re: re Something that's been bugging me.
Quote:
You seem to be thinking more along the lines of an Amberite "hellride," where they transfer themselves into worlds that're more and more like the one they're looking for, until they're finally there.
If only it was that simple. On a two-dimensional random jump, Doug can't control the direction of the jump. I'm thinking more along the lines that at least he'll know on how close he's getting to his home dimension. Granted it's a fool's hope since the next jump has an even chance of getting further away, OTOh, it might bring him closer too.
Of course, it goes more complex when you start factoring in things like velocity and time (i.e..add more dimensions).
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: re Something that's been bugging me.
I'd like to point out that any laws of transfictionality are of somewhat less import than the laws of drama.

Oh, and sorry Custos, I mangled your post, so I deleted it.
My utmost apologies.--
Veddy nice...
Really enjoyed it overall; September was a darn good month for fickage; two new EPU Symphony pieces, and a Drunkard's Walk update. Wink
I still have to come up with some art for this piece, though. I can't help but picture Chris as a dark-haired and freckled Troubadour, though, and I *know* that ain't right...
I have no idea whether it was intentional or not, but the Skee-ball arcade was a nice touch, esp. if Nekomi is in fact swarming with divinities; as Kevin Smith tells us, God *loves* Skee-ball. Wink
It's also nice to see Senbei used in an OMG fic of any stripe; I admit to a soft spot for the little Adam Ant-wannabe. (Besides, he might actually manage to break Doug with his dreaded "Happy-happy" dance.) I'm also pleased to note that Doug has managed to pull his head out of his rear end about the Goddesses, or at least unclenched somewhat; after the teaser and first chapter, I was worried he'd be pulling a repeat of what happened with the Sabres. Telling off Megatokyo's greatest high-heeled vigilantes is one thing, but if he'd popped off on _Belldandy_ the way he'd popped off on Sylia, I would have lost a *lot* of sympathy for the character, to put it mildly.
Smallish nit to pick; (and forgive me if someone else has touched on this, I haven't read all the comments yet.) By and large, you guys have got the characters' "voices" down to a tee, with the sole exception of our boy Toshiyuki. To me, he seemed *way* off. His dialogue was more appropriate to Shutaro Mendo than to any speech pattern I've seen him use in the translated manga. He's a rich bastard, but he's not terribly snobbish- if any antagonist in AMG fits that bill, it'd be Sayoko, who seems to be simply the Japanese equivalent of Cordelia Chase. I've never seen him speak so "formally", either, which I suppose is what brought Mendo to mind. Not to mention that Aoshima is many things, but a "typical" Japanese racist he has never been. He has caucasian friends- Dave Proter, f'rinstance, the American Kart-racer, as well as Dave's girlfriend whose name escapes me for the moment. At least in the canon (and, I fully admit, this part of that story wasn't touched on in OMB, so I suppose this may not apply in your universe) Proter wasn't just a ringer he'd called in, but was apparently a friend; he refers to Aoshima as "buddy" and "ol' pal", IIRC, and I certainly interpreted that as something other than a mere colloquialism.
Anyway, aside from that singular instance of OOC behaviour- and I freely admit that that's only my opinion- I really enjoyed it, and am eagerly awaiting further chapters.
Obligatory Crack Weaseling: What would happen if Doug ripped a copy of the Gods CD and played it full blast at Mara?
Quote:
Hmm.
I can't say much on this without spoiling things, but a cookie for picking it up.
Yay!
Quote:
A chocolate chip cookie.
Double yay!
*eats the cookie* SmileWhat if: Chibi Usa, Veteran Speznas Ninja Commando From Hell(tm)?
Re: Veddy nice...
Paradox, in many ways, is in the same AMG character model set as Tamiya and Ootaki, but instead of tall/muscled or tall/thin, he's more tall/stocky.
RE: Doug telling off Belldandy:
That bit *killed* me when I first saw it. I had to write something around it.
Re: Aoshima
To me, he's Keiichi, but richer, less nice, and far more arrogant. As I wrote him, he's honestly *surprised* that Paradox doesn't support him over Keiichi. He's not as...unlimited as Sayoko, but he's not far off.
He also had a rather nasty streak which I think would play into him being insulting to Doug, especially if he thinks he can get away with it.

Re: Gods CD
I got the impression that the Gods/Demons CDs were both spells hidden in CDs. I don't think they could be ripped.
Might be a neat bit, though.
Hmm.--
Quote:
...as Kevin Smith tells us, God *loves* Skee-ball. Wink
I didn't know that She even played Skee-ball...
Quote:
It's also nice to see Senbei used in an OMG fic of any stripe; I admit to a soft spot for the little Adam Ant-wannabe. (Besides, he might actually manage to break Doug with his dreaded "Happy-happy" dance.)
It's more likely that Doug would join in... at least for long enough for Senbei to become thoroughly confused, at which point Doug grabs him and puts him in a soda-pop bottle or something. (Yes, I chose that punishment on purpose...)
Quote:
Obligatory Crack Weaseling: What would happen if Doug ripped a copy of the Gods CD and played it full blast at Mara?
Probably nothing. According to the manga, it wasn't the playing of the Gods CD that discomforted Mara, it was the CD's mere presence. I suspect (but have nothing to point to either way) that the Demons and Gods CDs are celestial artifacts of some sort; any rip of them by a mere mortal (or even by Doug) would thus result in only normal CDs.
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
From what I remember
The God's and Demon's CD's are today's equivalent to a bottle for holding a djinn. So there probably won't be playing any song out of it. In fact, playing either one of them releases who ever was sealed inside.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Quote:
Quote:...as Kevin Smith tells us, God *loves* Skee-ball. Wink

Quote:
I didn't know that She even played Skee-ball...
Well in the film "Dogma", that's how s/he ended up getting k.o.'d for the majority of the flick; s/he'd incarnated as an old gaffer to play hir some Skee-ball at Coney Island, when s/he was set upon from behind by some minor demons disguised as road-hockey players. Smile
As for the Gods cd, well... It was crack weaseling, not meant to be taken too seriously.