Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snippet: Woolie predicts your future. Yes, YOURS.
Snippet: Woolie predicts your future. Yes, YOURS.
The following is a bit of development for a character I'll probably never use, but who sticks in my mind and dribbles scene fragments every now and then. His name is Wallace "Woolie" Wolsley, pronounced like "mostly" with a few bits turned around or corners knocked off. Yes, he does normally wear a knit cap and often a pullover sweater as well, he's not as young as he used to be and gets a chill all too easily. He's a retired officer of the British Army who's now a more or less successful private detective, depending on whether you look at his case record or bank balance, and a divination-specialized mage or psychic, depending on the setting. Sadly, psychic readings are not admissible evidence or he'd probably be a much better paid investigator. He's your wizard if you want to find out what your cat does during the day though, or your spouse last night. This is the part of his introduction that always comes right after his talents come up:

"And before you ask, you die. Sooner or later everyone does, that's the thing about the future. Fortunately, I only see a few seconds ahead at best, and have never sought for more as that's just enough to know when to duck without sucking all the joy out of life. No, seeing the past, seeing the present, those are far more useful overall. Know those and anyone with half a brain can predict the future at least as well as some riddle-spouting, crystal-gazing twaddle merchant, and more importantly plan for more than a single possibility that likely as not will change by the time you get there."

If he or someone vaguely similar or just the name seems like he'd be useful for something you're writing, go ahead and adopt him. I can consult further if you'd like, but really anything you come up with will probably be just as good and more likely to fit into your own story.
--
‎noli esse culus