Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMG, it's Discworld! (sort of)
OMG, it's Discworld! (sort of)
So I'm busily catching up on the issues of OMG that came out before I discovered the series. Just the other day I came across the introduction of Chihiro. She went to the Motor Club's old clubhouse, and found a sign on the door saying they'd moved, with a little map showing the new location.
The map took the form of a disc , supported by four elephants standing on the back of a turtle .
Yes, I know Pterry didn't invent the idea; he's said as much in at least two interviews I've read, plus I remember learning of it at least a decade before he began writing. I still think it's funny as all get out.
DHBirr
"Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: OMG, it's Discworld! (sort of)
Don't eliminate the possibility entirely. Discworld is indeed a world-wide phenomenon and it very well could be a deliberate reference.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Also, remember the model of Discworld is based on Hindu mythos, iirc.--
Christopher Angel, aka JPublic
The Works of Christopher Angel
[Image: Con.gif]
You do remeber correctly, though I should point out that said AMG image probobly reffered directly TO the Hindu mythos rather tha via Prachett's Discworld, IMO."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Probably. But one can hope, eh?

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03