Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Star Wars Day
Happy Star Wars Day
May the Force be with you, always.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: Happy Star Wars Day
One of the gifts my sister gave me for Christmas was a desktop calendar using cartoons from the New Yorker for each weekday and weekend. The cartoon for today and tomorrow dates from 2016; evidently prompted by the death of Kenny Baker in August of that year, it shows Luke on one knee beside R2-D2 as Threepio explains that Artoo "feels empty inside."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
I know that to most people this is just a fun day whimsically named for an easily misheard phrase from a popular media franchise.

But it always just goes down the wrong hole with me.

The 4th of May is Remembrance Day here in the Netherlands.
I can se how that would put a damper on the idea for you. Eer de helden as well then, assuming Google Translate didn't just have me say something rude inadvertently.
--
‎noli esse culus
It didn't.

And hey, I've no issue with others having fun on the 4th of May. I just get a bit grumpy.

Given it's now the 5th of May, it's time to celebrate Liberation Day.
(05-04-2019, 12:49 PM)hazard Wrote: I know that to most people this is just a fun day whimsically named for an easily misheard phrase from a popular media franchise.

But it always just goes down the wrong hole with me.

The 4th of May is Remembrance Day here in the Netherlands.

I was not aware of that.

Do you wear a poppy in remembrance, or is that just a British Commonwealth thing?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
That's mostly a British Commonwealth thing, and I think it's a result of the WW1 poem 'In Flanders' Fields'. The Netherlands didn't fight in that war, and mostly observed the conflict from the sidelines with horror.

While happily selling both sides whatever they wanted to buy and we believed we could get away with mind you. We did start as a merchant republic who, among other things, sold the Spaniards we were rebelling against low quality cannon to buy better guns for our own army.
(05-05-2019, 09:50 AM)hazard Wrote: That's mostly a British Commonwealth thing, and I think it's a result of the WW1 poem 'In Flanders' Fields'. The Netherlands didn't fight in that war, and mostly observed the conflict from the sidelines with horror.

While happily selling both sides whatever they wanted to buy and we believed we could get away with mind you. We did start as a merchant republic who, among other things, sold the Spaniards we were rebelling against low quality cannon to buy better guns for our own army.

hey, as the saying goes, "Buyer beware" Tongue Big Grin
TxDOT got into the act this year by lighting up the local Transguide Signs with with the following messages:

Quote:MAY THE 4TH BE
WITH YOU
TEXT I WILL NOT
Quote:I FIND UR LACK
OF SEAT BELT
DISTURBING