Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attn: All Programmers, Web Devs, Comp Engineers...
Attn: All Programmers, Web Devs, Comp Engineers...
Question 
Serious question: How worthwhile is this bundle?

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/fu...dev-bundle

Because I'm already considering going for the $25 unlock.
RE: Attn: All Programmers, Web Devs, Comp Engineers...
While only barely qualified for the titles you listed off (I did well enough in C++ classes through the 400 level, including a stint as the lab advisor to help other people and being the guy on the group project to pull our butts out of the fire by hacking something functional together while the other groups were presenting that ended up being voted the best version of the assignment by the class, and hand-coded the markup for the web pages I used to maintain three or so providers ago) it does contain all the most common buzzwords I've seen from poking around articles related to doing those things the more modern way. If I had a real expectation of sticking with it enough to get a return on the value, $25 looks like a good deal on that much material to me, if only for the fact of it being a curated collection on the topic rather than whatever I scrape up off the insides of the intertubes.

So, short version: I'm not an expert on the material, but I'd go for it in hopes of starting to become one.
--
‎noli esse culus
Yeah, I mean I have no idea what the courses are actually like for this. I'm the kind of person who learns best from books and doing, anyway, so organized coursework isn't that helpful for me. But everyone learns differently, so maybe it would be just your thing.

Drogn's right that this package covers all of the current buzzwords. Keep in mind that while having the same skills as everyone else gives you lots of options, that it also doesn't make you particularly valuable either. Learn some other languages/software that sparks your interest. Or, if you hate yourself, you can still make an excellent living maintaining legacy COBOL systems. Only recommended for true masochists, though.

The best thing to do is to find a problem that you want to solve, and try to solve it, and pick up tools along the way. My first major software package is a tool to organize images I downloaded from the chans and boorus, which gradually expanded to even include an ebook reader server. Or you can fix some things in Mediawiki for All The Tropes (hint hint). But having an interesting problem to play with means you're on the right track.

Finally, I'll recommend something else entirely from a different Humble Bundle: a game called Human Resource Machine, which is basically a compilation of simple programming puzzles. But without many operators or libraries, it's like you're doing bare metal programming -- but the thought process is similar to how programming works.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Thanks.  I'll definitely go for this bundle then.

It should go great with an eBook Bundle I snagged a while back - a plethora of programming instruction books from No Starch Press.  The bundle has the following titles:
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
  • The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
  • The Book of F#: Breaking Free with Managed Functional Programming
  • Learn Java the Easy Way: A Hands-On Introduction to Programming
  • Perl One-Liners: 130 Programs That Get Things Done
  • No Starch Sampler
  • Ruby Under a Microscope
  • Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good!
  • Learn You A Haskell for Great Good!
  • Clojure for the Brave and True: Learn the Ultimate Language and Become a Better Programmer
  • Land of Lisp: Learn to Program in Lisp, One Game at a Time!
  • Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
  • Python Playground: Geeky Projects for the Curious Programmer
  • Think Like a Programmer: An Introduction to Creative Problem Solving
  • The Book of R
  • Wicked Cool Shell Scripts
Should come in handy, methinks.

What's really neat is that an option for me is to download these as DRM-Free PDF files.  Wink
Addendum - Re: Human Resource Machine:

HAH! I know these guys! I got Little Inferno in another Humble Bundle. That game was weird, but great fun. Seeing the trailer for this game? Sounds like they're up to their usual subtle story telling once again!