Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today’s GOP insanity
RE: Today’s GOP insanity
Merriam-Webster partially disagrees with you there...
Quote:Definition of lie (Entry 4 of 6)
1a : an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker or writer to be untrue with intent to deceive // He told a lie to avoid punishment.
b : an untrue or inaccurate statement that may or may not be believed true by the speaker or writer // the lies we tell ourselves to feel better // historical records containing numerous lies
2 : something that misleads or deceives // His show of remorse was a lie.
3 : a charge of lying (see lie entry 3)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Merriam-Webster supports the use of 'literally' as an intensifier, ie 'figuratively.' They are no longer an authoritative source.
--
‎noli esse culus
Just a reminder that the most common English intensifiers, very and really, also went through the same meaning change that literally is going through now. Very refers to truth, as in "very sick moves". Really refers to actuality, like "he really had a cow".
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
We all have our lines in the sand, that's just one of mine.
--
‎noli esse culus
(05-12-2019, 11:27 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Merriam-Webster supports the use of 'literally' as an intensifier, ie 'figuratively.' They are no longer an authoritative source.

They never were. Unlike French, dictionaries of the English language are descriptive, not authoritative.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-12-2019, 07:43 PM)Norgarth Wrote: It's not a lie if he believes it to be true.  Doesn't mean he's not wrong (due to basing his statement on bad data/propaganda/lies), but it in itself not a lie.

It remains a lie if the first person he lies to is himself.
I will say that there is a high likelihood of bias and that i received bad information on that. That said, your information on Georgia and Alabama's laws are also wrong.

I won't accuse you of lying, I will say you are equally misinformed.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

(05-14-2019, 08:35 PM)Rajvik Wrote: I will say that there is a high likelihood of bias and that i received bad information on that. That said, your information on Georgia and Alabama's laws are also wrong.

How so? What has been posted that is incorrect?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, Alabama's all-in. They just passed a total ban on abortion, with first-degree murder sentences for doctors.

This is settled law, which means it should pass through the lower courts very quickly. So far as the Supreme, well, we'll have to see.
Fucking evil.
Quote:So far as the Supreme, well, we'll have to see.

That, I suspect, is the whole point. Pass a law that is so over-the-top with the express intent that it'll be challenged all the way to the Supreme Court -- so that the now conservative-leaning court will have an excuse to undo Roe v. Wade.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I think that's a side benefit, actually. I mean, you lot don't let felons vote, so by making a large amount of poor non-white women felons...
That is explicitly the point, as somebugger from the Alabama legislature said in a radio interview on the news a few minutes ago.

e: overturning Roe vs. Wade, that is.
--
‎noli esse culus
[Image: 59967440_1092793710907726_85418960399242...e=5D9ED0F1]

saw this on facebook
EDIT://// maybne trhat's a bit too far. American humour is different

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Rob, the point that is wrong in Silverfang's posts is that they have flat out outlawed abortion. The law have been made to where once a fetal heartbeat is discernible then the abortion becomes murder. That means that the woman has about 6 weeks or so from conception to have the abortion.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Rajvik, do you know anything about embryogenesis? At six weeks, the zygote hasn't even completely become a fetus yet. Heartbeat begins before that process has finished.

Here's the Wikipedia overview of the process.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-15-2019, 09:15 PM)Rajvik Wrote: Rob, the point that is wrong in Silverfang's posts is that they have flat out outlawed abortion. The law have been made to where once a fetal heartbeat is discernible then the abortion becomes murder. That means that the woman has about 6 weeks or so from conception to have the abortion.

Which means that abortion would only be legal before the woman could distinguish pregnancy from a late period. If a woman knows she's pregnant, then abortion is illegal.
I'm going to make a correction to my earlier post. Apparently i either was misinformed or misremembered because this morning on the way into work i was listening to Breitbart news daily who during their second hour started off with a doctor discussing this very topic.

Silverfang was right, the Alabama bill DOES outlaw abortion, and basically they are daring anyone to fight it up to the supreme court. The only allowance they are giving is if the mother's life is endangered by the pregnancy.

Rob, i haven't studied it for over twenty years and even then it was bare basics, and yes i realize that it is still not a fully formed fetus at that point, however, that doesn't invalidate that six to seven weeks is about when the fetal heartbeat is distinguishable from the mother's. That is where the lawmakers of the state of Georgia has stated "LIFE BEGINS HERE" and thus so do human rights.

Jinx, I understand that, believe it or not my sister and I were discussing this very topic last night. Back in the 90's the argument for abortion was the tag line "Safe, Rare, and Legal" and if it had stayed that way i wouldn't have a problem with it. the problem is that abortion has become simply another form of contraceptive to a lot of folks.

Also, you people are coming at me like i agree with it, I don't. As i said earlier, i don't like this law (either one really) either, however, I can also see why it was passed and where it's coming from, not just having a knee jerk reaction to it, especially since i can't do anything about it.
Currently writing BROBd

We had a similar law on the books up until a recent referendum.

It didn't stop abortion.

It did make weekend and daytrips to the UK a lot more common.

You can't legally forbid people from crossing the border. And it's a lot easier to do that in the US that it was here - for one thing, you don't need to take a ferry.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Well, you can legally forbid people from crossing the border, but good luck stopping them, as has been gone into in other contexts and other threads in some detail. And if you do, you get shady guys in an alley with a bent coat hanger, and that's just asking for complications all around.
--
‎noli esse culus
Hell, the moment Georgia actually tries to enforce that abortion law on anyone a very good argument can be made that any individual from the US state of Georgia that travels elsewhere while pregnant and cannot return is a refugee fleeing unjust persecution. And wouldn't that be an interesting tidbit...
an interesting thought I saw on Facebook (concerning the Abortion = murder law)
https://i.redd.it/ysbxioi5dyy21.jpg
^ Funny, but irrelevant to any of the laws passed recently. Doctors get the murder charges, not the women seeking them.

And ultimately state sovereignty will hold; the "crossing borders" law is just an excuse to scare more poor girls.
I dunno, I'd argue a tiny collection of cells that hasn't even have a brain start to develop has more of a right to life than a rapist...