Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assistance requested in shopping for SSDs...
Assistance requested in shopping for SSDs...
My laptop, as nice as it was when I bought it (not that long ago, really), only had a 250GB SSD for storage.

And now it's maxed out.

I'll be cleaning it up later tonight when I get off of work, but this still means I need to upgrade my storage drive.

I'm looking at this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DREVO-X1-PRO-1T...2535960854

However, if anyone can think of anything better for nearly as much or lower, then I'd appreciate that.

That said, does anyone know much about Drevo?  I hear they're fairly new on the scene, and Newegg only has their gaming keyboards.
RE: Assistance requested in shopping for SSDs...
I've not heard of them, but I'm not really a hardware person. I tend to buy from Crucial because of the reliability, and the OEM is an American company and not God knows who in China. But they're $30 more expensive.

For anything over 1 TB, I still use spinning rust drives. But portability is a real concern for you, right?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Very much so. My machine is one of the nicer hybrid notebook/tablet laptops that has native support for Windows Ink Workspace - which also means I can use the Microsoft Surface Puck with it. This is intended to be my school laptop - the one that I can get all my textbooks as PDFs for quick reference while on campus, and at home I'd use deadtree books for the in-depth reading. (The nice thing about having the Post 9/11 MGIB is that they front you the money for the required textbooks at brand-new cost.)

So having a 1TB SSD is very much preferable, as this sucker - as careful as I am being with it - will be doing a lot of moving around.
@Black Aeronaut

How did getting the replacement SSD go? I'm now in the market for one myself and I'm looking for advice.
I've been going with Samsung for my SSD since I started using SSD. Nvme or sata ssd?
Well, Device Manager IDs the current SSD as an NVMe Samsung MZVW256 (I assume that "256" refers to its storage capacity in gigabytes).

Device manager also lists two storage controllers, one of which is a SATA controller and the other of which is helpfully identified as a Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller (whatever that means).

That help?
https://m.newegg.com/product/9SIA12K77Z5902?m_ver=1

There's your huckleberry. Amusingly enough, I'm using two of these, one in my desktop, one in my mini server. It's nice to have disk i/o rates comparable to core 2 duo era RAM...
Heh.

I just learned something interesting.

My laptop will support TWO form factors simultaneously:

M.2 2280 and 2.5" SATA III. The M.2 is mounted directly to the main board and secured with a screw, while the 2.5" drive sits over that and uses a SATA connector attached to the main board with a ribbon cable and a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) connector.

I can just get a 500 GB 2.5" SSD, pop it in, and I won't even need to copy the drive over. And then later I can upgrade one and then the other.

I'll have to open up my laptop later on so I can see exactly what I'm working with - these little PCIe drives have different connectors, and I can't seem to see what properly determines which one uses what connector.
Here's an option for some people, but not everybody: a 1TB MicroSD Card.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I want it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I recommend one big fast SSD plus backups. I don't like multiple drive letters...