Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Next' button missing from chapter 4
'Next' button missing from chapter 4
nyuck nyuck nyuck.

This is the first Potter 'fic I've read in _years_.  It's astonishing how nice it was to be back in this universe, especially since Bob is apparently allergic to handing out the Idiot Ball..

Really enjoyed it, really liked that Doug is serving to maintain communications for poor Sirius.  Looking forward to more!
RE: 'Next' button missing from chapter 4
Thanks... and you almost had me there, I was reflexively typing out "chapter five's not done yet" before the "nyuck nyuck nyuck" registered.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And this thread reminds me that I should send you an email, Bob.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-29-2019, 02:50 PM)Wiregeek Wrote: nyuck nyuck nyuck.

This is the first Potter 'fic I've read in _years_.  It's astonishing how nice it was to be back in this universe, especially since Bob is apparently allergic to handing out the Idiot Ball..

Really enjoyed it, really liked that Doug is serving to maintain communications for poor Sirius.  Looking forward to more!
Off.T: my fiancee tells me that Starfell by Dominique Valente gave her a very "first time reading Harry Potter" feeling.

On.T: I think Bob's done a great job so far and I wish there was a next chapter button. I thoroughly look forward to the next chapter.
Proximacapit revelio!

Aw, dammit.

EDIT: This seems like exactly the kind of limited-utility, library research spell that Hermione would know.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I might as well repurpose this thread for a progress report. I am currently writing Doug's first encounter with Moaning Myrtle. For some reason it's a bit harder to whip into shape than I was expecting for what was supposed to be a simple "meet, exchange names, express sympathy" kind of scene.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I reread this step on the weekend, mainly because I can open the story in a few browser tabs on my phone, and read it on the flight without bothering to set up anything before I get to the airport.  Afterwards, Siri kept calling me Shirley, until I remembered to turn Airplane Mode off.

DW8-1 Wrote:I looked up at Dumbledore. "Do you know which [immorality method] he used?"

Dumbledore had started looking troubled as I began my list, and had grown only more so as I went through it. "I must admit that I thought I did, for I knew of only one means. Learning that there are others..." He shook his head. "Already I am thankful for hiring you, Colonel." He shook his head. "I must research this, and more, we must discuss this matter at length, soon."

I just wanted to point out how good this characterization of Dumbledore is.  He's Capital S Smart, and he is showing it by immediately admitting his ignorance.  The idea that other magics could exist, and that Darth Riddle could have discovered them is the right amount of humility.  It doesn't matter if Doug is credible or if the magic works in the HP world, because the question is the important part -- the fact that there could be another ritual is enough to merit the investigation alone.   Which is in contrast to our "smart" character Hermione, who goes around declaring things as "impossible" and thinking answers always lie in books.

On the other hand, if he's talking to Moaning Myrtle: what are you doing in the girls' bathroom, Doug?  "Kyaaan~ Hentai! Ecchi!", throws soap bar.
(06-19-2019, 07:47 PM)Labster Wrote: On the other hand, if he's talking to Moaning Myrtle: what are you doing in the girls' bathroom, Doug?  "Kyaaan~ Hentai! Ecchi!", throws soap bar.

Cause, he is the DADA instructor, Labs.  If there is anone who Dumbledore would think is the best person who might be able to help Myrtle to her rightful rest instead of clogging up all the darn toilets, it would be Doug, if for no other reason than Doug, as a *HERO* just kind of exudes that sort of thing because he's an author avatar (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A MARY SUE OR SI)
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Hm, the only two songs I can think of that specifically apply to ghosts don't work for multiple other reasons (Nightwish's Ghost Love Score has no lyrics, Little Ghost by the White Stripes has no accompaniment, both are inappropriate between a professor and a student even if he wasn't married) but I'm sure there must be something. Well, the Ghostbusters theme I suppose, but that's a little too confrontational. I doubt the scene would be causing such a problem if it was something that simple, anyway.
--
‎noli esse culus
Why Doug's there is simple -- hearing someone crying while on hall patrol duty.

As for helping Myrtle, well... you'll have to wait until chapter 8. (Unless I decide to have Doug break whatever the Ministry did to "pin" her to that lavatory. It's not part of the plot plan, but in working on the scene I realized that the moment she mentions what they did to keep her from haunting Olive Hornby, Doug is going have major objections.)
-- Bob

Labster quoting the story:
Quote:I looked up at Dumbledore. "Do you know which [immorality method] he used?"

Had to giggle at that.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Aw darn, I spellchecked it an everything!
(01-08-2020, 04:26 AM)Labster Wrote: Aw darn, I spellchecked it an everything!
(Does not point out the spelling error in that sentence.)

Spellcheck for Harry Potter only works when you want to make sure you're waving the wand correctly and speaking the right pseudo-Latin word. You can't count on it for spelling.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
consarnd it Rob... you made me snort coffee out of my nose!

That ... HURTS.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children