Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranger Reports (fanfiction?)
Ranger Reports (fanfiction?)
Star Rangers Log.  Confidential

Ah, who am I kidding.  The whole reason for this particular log entry is because Mag Flashlight asked.  And it will be tagged so that he can access it whenever he gets around to it.  And give access to whoever else he thinks needs to see it.  Ergo, if your reading this, you have a need to know, for whatever reason.

Short form is:  This is not the only Paragon City.  Sure, its semi common knowledge, after all it seems like every hero, and or villain, winds up dealing with the best known of them.  The one where the Family is Dominant.  The Fifth Column world that is the home of the Reichsman.

But there is one more.  One that found out what at least one version of the Coming Storm was.  And paid for that knowledge with its very existence.  The dimension I *THINK* was my home.  Wiped from existence by Battalion.  I expect that if your reading this, your very highly ranked either in the Legendary directly, or one of our sister supergroups of the coalition Mags forged.  Which means I probably remember an alternate version of you.  Yes, very Schrodinger’s Cat, or Heisenberg’s principal.  If your uncertain about that… join the club.  I am too.  Still, very much the same as here, though not a complete mirror.  For example, while the titanic Trio of Terrance Knight, Emerald Blast and Emerald Defender were just as much a powerhouse trio, and just as much in love with each other as here…  They were not completely the same.  I know Rhea and Lisa are here, and involved with Terr… and that is the difference.  The Terrance I ‘grew up’ with once I reached Paragon City. The one who mentored a crazy half human half machine blapper into something almost combat effective on his own?  He was a Tank, yes.  Something tells me no matter where one goes in the multiverse Terrance Knight is ALWAYS a tank; just like there is always some sort of force that keeps one’s feet on planets and such.  The Terr I knew, and teased, and found myself face down in the dirt when he zigged and I zagged?  He was not a rad armor tank.  Nope.  Mr. Natural beefcake was Invulnerable.  Or maybe like Staff Sargent Shortimer, so full of willpower he forced the whole damn universe to conform.  A universe where Evangelina was the founding force, not just of the Legendary, but the one who founded our coalition.

I think I’ve drifted off topic of what Mags is hoping to learn from this, or having me write down to explain to others.  If I know what that wily old space marine is thinking, he’s hoping for a data dump on everything I know about the Battalion.  I just wish I knew more.  What I do know is that at one point we were tasked by Faathim the Kind, an aspect of Mad Rularuu, to defeat another of Rularuu’s aspects, Lanaruu.  This aspect wasn’t just mad… he was MAD.  Angry, Mad…  As in destroy everything even though its where he keeps his own stuff mad.  And just as we succeeded…  We failed.  The Battalion somehow corrupted what we were doing.  Used it to take control of Lanaruu; and through him ALL the aspects of Rularuu.  Which gave them control of the Shadow Shard’s version of the Well.  And that was endgame, both for the shadow shard I knew and what I believe is my own home Paragon.  The Battalion consumed the Shadow Shard’s well, adding its power to their own.  They took control of Rularuu’s Watchers.  You know, the ones that look like giant floating Eyeballs?  Well, if you don’t yet, you soon will.  Transformed them.  Created…  Well Dark Seraph and I finally settled on Langoliers.  If you are not familiar with them, go Google them.  (link: Langoliers).  All those eyeball shaped beasties with the sharp teeth first ate EVERYTHING in the Shadow Shard.  Then they came for us.  For the world I think of as ‘home’.  The only saving grace?  Their entry point to our world was not Paragon City, but three quarters of the world away from us.  Fortunately, turning a whole world into NOTHING takes time.  Time Dark Seraph and I, along with Tina McIntyre, used to come up with an idea.  One we had no way of knowing would work…  but we were *HEROES.*  Blessed by fate.  By the Well of Souls itself.  The worse the odds against us were, the more likely it was we would succeed.  Defiant to the end.

But still the end came for us, even as we spat in its face.  Below the Arena of Peregrine Island, there is … a something.  Not a Portal that Tina was familiar with.  But between myself the master of !Science, Dark Seraph, a maven of magic who made any member of the Cabal look like a child playing at spell casting, and Tina McIntyre, the one person who knew more about portals than anyone save Dr Webb himself?  We turned that thing under the PI arena into the ultimate escape route.  Near as I can tell, EVERY Hero on the planet that was not a member of the Legendries’ coalition chose to go out to fight the Langoliers.  And Died.  Some because they did not believe us.  Others, Like Positron and the Freedom Phalanx, choosing to sacrifice themselves to delay things as much as possible, to get as many mundane citizens to whatever safety was on the other side as possible.  Dr Keys, in fact, was the lynchpin of the final defense of his reactor in Terra Volta; And fought till the very end to keep life giving power flowing to us, to keep portals open and get as many people out as we could.  As one by one portal and teleport sites fell silent, devoured.  Until only we were left.  I was in battle mode when that last one, and Positrons reactor in Terra Volta fell off the grid within milliseconds of each other.  So, no tears blurred my optic sensors, but my voice still choked as I told Evangelina.  And she issued the order I had struggled for so long to try and avoid even as Dark Seraph and I crafted the plans for it.

Dunkirk.  *Fucking* *Dunkirk.*

And we held.  Took no casualties as we evacuated the remaining civilians inside our perimeter.  And then, once the civilians were safe, our perimeter slowly collapsed as we evacuated as well.  The Children and Instructors of the Legendary Academy.  The members of the PPD’s Paragon Special Investigations.  Riot Force, with Sylia Stingray, the Silicon Sabre, choosing to be last, making sure her own were through first.  Rhea and Lisa, Emerald Blast and Emerald Defender, standing Side by side with Terrance as our last line of defense until it was just the six of us.  Evangelina giving them her ‘don’t even think about it’ look to chase them through the portal before falling back herself; leaving just Terrance, Dark Seraph, and myself.  As well as the inevitable argument I’d been dreading since it started.  NONE of us wanted to go first, not out of fear of where the portal would lead, but because each of us felt we were the one best suited to stay behind and make sure the other two got to safety.

An argument that Terrance, in his own stubborn way, won, in typical Terrance fashion.  After one last use of high knockback attacks to clear him a bit of breathing room, he frickin cold cocked both Dark Seraph and myself.  I assume he threw us both through the portal before entering himself; but I was unconscious, because, um… Terrance.

I woke up here.  Level 1 once again, in the middle of the Outbreak.  With two sets of memories, one from there and one from what I assume my life would have been here if there had never happened.  Some were the same.  Growing up, Serving my country in the navy.  Going to Cal Tech and getting into the study of Ritiki Teleportation.  Being forced to prove my theories, only to teleport myself into someone else’s probe also based on Ritiki tech.  From there, my memories of ‘here’ jumped forward to Outbreak, while a second string covered everything I’d done… well… there.  Kind of like a massive Ouroboros Task Force, with only me remembering.

Which brings us back to where we both are, myself the person writing this for Mag Flashlight, and you, the person he had me writing this explanation for.  None of the three of us really know what is next; but as for me, I’ll do whatever it takes to keep that ‘alternate’ life… the one where my whole world dies, to keep from happening here.

End Log entry.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
RE: Ranger Reports (fanfiction?)
Good stuff. Multiverse and causality be damned, Terrence is always a tank
Great short. One error -- or is it? -- it's "Evangelia", not "Evangelina". Unless he's from an even more different universe than he thinks...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I personally like how it just puts the whole backstory quandary onto a nice rye bread and makes a plot sandwich out of it
Story is nice just have to point out from the very start of playing again i've been stating that Terrence isn't rad armour IC, being rad armour was entirely mechanic's driven for me because I didn't want to deal with INV's endurance issues again. This is the exact same Terrence. I've been frustrating myself RL wanting to write up a short fic from his PoV reminiscing living this timeline after being extracted from the other by the entity whom meddles in his life.

Edit:If nothing else to Star Terrence might seem very eerily similar to whom he remembers. Terrence hasn't told a soul about the experience so its entirely fair for Ranger to assume he is isn't the same Terrence.
*Spits out morning coffee* Daaaaaamn son, that came out of you!? *is verrah impressed* <-- the OOC reactions.

The IC ones:

Vyper: *normal stoic, no reaction to what she's read*  ((She's... complicated.  Obviously not human or classified as alive but she doesn't answer questions about it.  If we have any mind-readers, empaths or mediums I will get into it but without that she's just a black void that exists without bothering to hide it.  Chaotic Neutral, Paladin type but her laws are different than the ones in this time-period.))

Tish:  *skimmed over it but got a phone call then sped off to do heroic things.* ((She tries not to think about anything, ever, not even personal safety.  I think she's probably looking for the glass ceiling of survival... she plans on smashing it bee-tee-dubs.  Wire calls her a cupcake because at the core she's still just a squishy, she's tough and I push the limits of her AT, but she's me in that I got something to prove about squish classes.  It's a chip she and I both have on our shoulders. Chaotic Good.))

If she had access to the info, I'm pretty sure Eileen would want to run some scans on his head, maybe run tests and take samples to figure out how she could profit from Star's misfortune. ((Neutral Evil.))
I attribute any of my perceived popularity to a loss of consciousness on my part.
Amazingly, that is kind of the Cliff notes version, when as I was writing it I found it easier to go in the second person. My original verion of this was prior to our discovery of Homecoming, would have been told from the PoV of the 'me' that wound up in Star Trek Online, and would have had a lot more detail about the fights. It was trying to write those that kept hanging up my writing... so....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children