Wow..........

How the hell do the cameras work?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Blu Leysar is ready for her close-up, Mr. DeMille
There's a part two video where they ask one of the dudes from the team that invented the camera how it works, but I didn't quite follow along...
--
‎noli esse culus
With more time to digest it, I think the most amusing thing here is how much it looks like a low-budget "laser blast" special effect. I mean, life imitates art much?
--
‎noli esse culus
I like to think it's more like "Hollywood accidentally gets it right!" A fictional example that I happen to like was in Arthur C. Clarke's 3001: The Final Odyssey, where the space vessels of the time frame, despite having inertia-manipulation drives and never touching any planet's atmosphere, all resemble the streamlined nuclear-powered rocket ships of the classic sci-fi films and comics.

Reason being? Given the speed at which the inertia drives propel these ships, a streamlined appearance was necessary to better deflect space debris they inevitably encounter - which actually occurs at an unnerving rate. They actually have an armored skin that needs to be replaced every few months as the armor winds up getting worn away over time.

Which is really a pretty sound assumption given if we do somehow manage to make spacefaring vessels that go that fast.