Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
huh
huh
you mean he's METAHUMANLY intelligent?
how's that different from humanly intelligent?
-murmur
sorry, sorry
i meant this as a reponse to the li'l teaser part.
-murmur
Re: sorry, sorry
Int score of 30 on a 3-18 scale... But as you can see, I don't use that to mean that he's all-wise and all-knowing. V&V doesn't have a Wisdom stat, but if it did, Doug would have about an 8. He's got a lot of knowledge, encyclopedic in some areas (like songs, and cybernetics), a near-photographic memory, all the kinds of stuff you normally associate with really really smart people. But he's lacking in common sense sometimes, he doesn't always integrate what he knows into a whole, and he does have a tendency to run with his first impulse or assessment of a situation.

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
IOW, he's the poster child for the new reality series:
"When Smart Supers do DUMB THINGS""I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
"When Smart Supers do DUMB THINGS"
The Supers' portion of America's Funniest Home Videos?
Actually, it's more like an issue of Iron Man, when Tony Stark was drunk. He went and tried to pick up a tanker (if I remember correctly, it had acid or something corrosive inside). Unfortunately, he grabbed one of the rails on the side, as opposed to a better grip, and it snapped off...
So Doug is a Richard Nixon(intellegent, but not wise), instead of an Edith Bunker(wise, but not intellegent)
"What's the difference between Intellegence and Wisdom?"
"Edith Bunker."
I wonder how many will figure out where that quote came from. Smile
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
Joel Rosenberg, "The Sleeping Dragon"
First book of the Guardians of the Flame.
I would hardly say that Nixon wasn't wise, just not wise enough. Seriously, I think Doug's "low Wisdom" (keep in mind that Villains & Vigilantes only has 5 stats, and Wisdom isn't one of them, so Wisdom or lack thereof has no empirical data save for Bob's style of play) is more of the "lead with your chin" variety. Doug's a Colonel in the UN's elite metahuman military force. He's proven to be a wild card that has turned the tide of fight after fight (if he wasn't, Arcanum wouldn't have made his negation a primary battle tactic). He's lean, he's mean, he's Californian. His wife shatters steel with her voice; his field commander is a solid-steel Grecian Amazon; and his CO is a goddess (I'll refrain from making generalizations about the other Warriors, since we've only met the four). He's got an attitude that'd make a Texas Ranger proud. [*]
"Lessee. That's a kaiju class, reptilian lifeform, probably radioactive. It's intent on flattening the city, and the local civil defense hasn't done much more than annoy it. It's got 500 tons on me, stands 50 times my height, and breathes bright blue flame ... I think I can take 'im."
[*] - Texas Rangers traditionally traveled alone or in pairs, given the large amount of space that they, as state's elite lawmen, had to cover. To compensate, they became remarkably tough and resourceful. The slogan "One Riot, One Ranger" came about because of their legendary toughness; the theory being that you only needed the one Ranger for each uprising. To their credit, they did a remarkable job of living up to the reputation.Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
heh
Quote:
"Lessee. That's a kaiju class, reptilian lifeform, probably radioactive. It's intent on flattening the city, and the local civil defense hasn't done much more than annoy it. It's got 500 tons on me, stands 50 times my height, and breathes bright blue flame ... I think I can take 'im."
So does that mean in terms of Full Metal Panic anime..he won't even blink at thought of have taking on Behomoth or 6 Venom AS's (the type that Gauron piloted)?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: heh
Let's just say this, Ord -- and this will not be a surprise to anyone who's given half a second's thought to the subject -- in DW6, Doug's going to try to take on an Angel by himself, sans Eva, mecha or the like. Only as a delaying tactic, mind you, but by himself still.
Of course, he'll only make that mistake once...

-- Bob
---------
Ahhh...
Quote:
in DW6, Doug's going to try to take on an Angel by himself, sans Eva, mecha or the like.
First thought....
Ahh....Medal of honor type....
Second thought.....ARE YOU NUTS!....
Better make that crazy..er...loony!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Ahhh...
Quote:
First thought....
Ahh....Medal of honor type....
Second thought.....ARE YOU NUTS!....
-----------------------------------------------------
There's a difference?
One of my favorite Medal of Honor citations -- this is the official citation, not what legend says -- involved a young lieutenant (of course, we all know about lieutenants) who took on 4 German tanks ... with a Tommy gun ... while standing in the middle of the road they were rolling down ... in bright moonlight.
Proving that God *does* have a weird sense of humor, the lieutenant not only survived, but managed to kill the crew of the leading tank at 30 yards and held the others off until he got reinforcements.
Hmmm, I just realized ... we often abbreviate "lieutenant" as "LT." Good Lord, that explains so much -- Doug's as recklessly insane as a lieutenant! Aaaagh!
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Ahhh...

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
in DW6, Doug's going to try to take on an Angel by himself, sans Eva, mecha or the like. Only as a delaying tactic, mind you, but by himself still.
Bob sent me a workdraft of this a while back, as a courtesy, and what I remember most about it wasn't that Doug tried it - it seemed the kind of thing he'd try....
...but the reaction in Central Dogma when he tried it.
(I wish I had that email, still. That was some fun to read.)Brazil has decided you're cute.Brazil has decided you're cute.
Quote:
(I wish I had that email, still. That was some fun to read.)
When I get home tonight I'll mail you another copy -- if I remember to do it among the other tasks I have lined up.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
So does that mean in terms of Full Metal Panic anime..he won't even blink at thought of have taking on Behomoth or 6 Venom AS's (the type that Gauron piloted)?
I haven't seen enough of FMP to say one way or the other, but I suspect that Doug would, at one level, just look at it as an oversized crunchie.
Doug [paraphrasing DiNiro from "The Untouchables"]: You ain't nothin'! You're just a lot of talk and a mech. You ain't NOTHIN'!"Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Actually,Doug might have a point.consider Devastator,a powersuited jewel thief from the Champions sourcebook.Awesome firepower,but he gets Stunned by the average 11d6 attack.Since 5th Edition Champions PCs do around 12d6 damage,how he managed to gain 110 XP is a complete mystery to me."There's only one kind of monster that uses bullets"-Colonel VanHeusen , from "It! The Terror From Beyond Space"
Quote:
I haven't seen enough of FMP to say one way or the other, but I suspect that Doug would, at one level, just look at it as an oversized crunchie.
He'd probably try. And, until he ran into Arbalest or Venom, he'd even get away with it.
Then, IMHO, he'd be a smear mark.
For my money, a Lambda Driver is nothing more or less than a purely mechanical AT Field generator. Late generation ASes like Arbalest actually seem to be -stronger- and -faster- relative to their own bulk and mass than humans are. With an LD to counter his songs, that basically means that Doug is trying to fight something which is just as strong, fast, and agile as he is... and better than two orders of magnitude larger.
Ja, -n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Look at the Future Step forum
Quote:
For my money, a Lambda Driver is nothing more or less than a purely mechanical AT Field generator. Late generation ASes like Arbalest actually seem to be -stronger- and -faster- relative to their own bulk and mass than humans are. With an LD to counter his songs, that basically means that Doug is trying to fight something which is just as strong, fast, and agile as he is... and better than two orders of magnitude larger.
Look under Full Metal Step to see what the Arbalest's capabilities are as detailed in the novel...you might also see it in the new FMP anime series.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell