Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Crossovers that Should Be: The Write Stuff
RE: Crossovers that Should Be: The Write Stuff
So, you're saying the One Piece is onboard The Spelljammer?
Some time after the founding of Crystal Tokyo, humanity has once again begun to spread out towards the stars.  One of these early steps toward that goal is the setting up of a base on one of the moons of the planet Mars.  However, the developers of the base accidentally come across, and end up opening, what turns out to be the doors to none other than Hell itself.  Now, Sailor Mars must team up with one of the survivors of the initial ambush in an effort to prevent a massive demonic invasion from threatening the entire Solar System...

(Sailor Moon/Doom)
In Goblin Slayer Year One, the title character encounters Examiner - a senior Guild employee charged with evaluating his readiness for promotion.

To which I can only say, how did Ms Aoyama (from Desperately Seeking Ranma) wind up in that world?
Priss Asagiri as Mylenes Jenius' mentor in the ways of rock. Macross 7 just got a lot more interesting.
You can even put Sylia on gui-board and have Linna be their manager! Nene can run the sound board, and as nerd-girl she'd probably be happier there than in the spotlight anyway, but you gotta keep Veffidas on drums. She's the coolest supporting character in the original cast by far, and her shtick of only speaking maybe twice in the whole show and just using drumbeats to express her feelings otherwise is intrinsic to that.

And probably something that would place firmly on the autism spectrum, but if so she deals with the lights and loud noise and crowds of being a performer otherwise remarkably well. Eh, whatever, bonus representation I guess? My nephew is not unlike that with his guitar, if not as extreme, but doesn't show other symptoms either, so it's not like it doesn't happen IRL.

Sylia replacing Ray as the military/government contact is a bit more of a change, but if she didn't have the revenge quest driving her to fight corporate evil I could easily see her as an advanced VF designer/consultant or something, and called on to handle demonstrator integration and testing for the SES project since she already had a band on the side Buckaroo Banzai style.

I would expect to see EX-Gear cockpits a decade early, though. Powered armor is kind of Sylia's thing after all, and as Frontier clearly showed they increased pilot survivablity a lot over just having space-rated flight suits and a lifepod cockpit. I'd have to watch again to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the doomed extra from Frontier ep 1 even survived a direct mecha-scale bullet hit and had to be killed directly by a red Vajra after bailing out while Messer in Delta, where they'd dropped EX-Gear again, got salsa-fied.
--
‎noli esse culus
What if The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs is actually the Jetsons future, with a (relative) few dome-on-a-mast dome-o-ciles Wink and facilities in some remote corner of the world as the last vestige of the Old Humanity? This would obviously have some implications for Luxion and the elf island "demon lord," though exactly how that worked out would depend on the tone of the story the author wanted to tell. Jane is, after all, fairly experienced at wrangling a slightly rampage-y AI Tongue

Not sure if this is really the right thread, but I know I'd give it a read on the premise alone even if I don't have any more ideas for where to develop it...
--
‎noli esse culus
Some of the immortals from Baccano end up on Sigma Iotia II for "A piece of the action".
Leslie Nielson in Becoming Human
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Young Master in possession of a strong core, must be in want of a Daoist Partner.”

One man is the absolute picture of an arrogant young master, another looks very much like an Xianian hero. . . .
Do they fight crime?
--
‎noli esse culus
(09-16-2022, 07:21 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Do they fight crime?

It's Pride and Prejudice. The second one is Wickham . . . .

You could say that one of them fights crime, I suppose.
What if we make it Pride and Prejudice and Crime and Punishment and Xianxia and Spam?

I suppose then it belongs in the other thread, if it didn't already.
--
‎noli esse culus
I'm torn between putting this here or CTSNB, but the crossover logic fits too well to truly call it an abomination that should not be at the structural level.

In any case, start with one of the old standby workhorses of fanfiction, Ranma 1/2. (Pun fully intended!) Cute girls, supernatural hijinks, the occasional banger action scene, and some stealth psychological horror if you think about it beyond the superficial humour and action genre. Lots of forced body transformation, psychological and physical threats to fill unwelcome roles, and so on. The magical critter, MacGuffin, and/or wish granting thing of the week is practically a fixture of stories in the setting.

So what other anime sounds remarkably like that aside from playing everything for humour, I ask you?

How about Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

The Ranma cast is largely past the age range Kyubi likes to target by the time the manga actually starts, but there's plenty of possibilities in the backstory, the whole "number of years mushrooms" incident, or just plain author fiat in fusing the setting to work around that, and while it would need a more serious take on the Ranma cast that's more common in fanfiction than actually keeping them original flavor. Alternately, just adding the ability for nominally regular humans to perform in the same league as low to mid range magi and witches could throw some interesting twists into the situation if the two casts crossed each other's paths... and of course, the Nerima crew is rife with the kind of psychological issues witches tend to draw people in with to prey upon.
--
‎noli esse culus
Each of the Tendo girls were approached by Kyubi while their mother was dying and all of them wished for her to live.

The wish was granted, and then she died for unrelated reasons later, because magical girls cannot have nice things.

So now they're a cabal of squabbling perpetual early-teens, desperately trying to hide this from their father who is about the only normal thing left in their lives.

When he introduces them to their fiance, not humouring him (even if he's clearly insane) is not on the table.

Ranma is in the unexplored territory of being the normie. Relatively speaking, that is.
ReBoot gets a game based on Commando (the 1985 Schwarzenegger film), with the User playing the part of the movie's star.

Just for the "Matrix vs. Matrix" scene.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(10-02-2022, 11:27 AM)robkelk Wrote: ReBoot gets a game based on Commando (the 1985 Schwarzenegger film), with the User playing the part of the movie's star.

Just for the "Matrix vs. Matrix" scene.

Can we have it be set in the titular setting of The Matrix? Big Grin
(I just posted this one elsewhere on the forum, but it's too good not to post here as well.)

Dateline: Chicago.

Harry Dresden is supposed to keep secret the fact that real magic exists. So it's such a pity that he keeps crossing paths with Carl Kolchak.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Harry is listed in the phone book as a wizard. Forget keeping magic a secret, Karl would be calling him at least as often as Murphy to consult about the weird shit that he keeps running into. His editor would be keeping any secret that might still remain about magic just with the usual "Karl, I can't print that! Rewrite it without the hoodoo!" shtick.

Though I would like to see Harry deal with the space aliens in that one episode, or just happen to be in the right place to rescue the old Jewish couple in the ep about the rakshasa. (They were actually a big chunk of my inspiration for the ... Rosenburgs was it? ... in Fenspace, so you know I love 'em.)

Definitely the right thread this time, Rob!
--
‎noli esse culus
Twilight Zone Troopers

A surreal TV series and a movie about WWII troops stumbling across a crashed UFO

Thoiugh you can turn it into a 'Should NOT be' by adding in sparkly vampires... Tongue
They find on board a skeleton in a fully sealed suit of mechanized armour.

In one hand a big gun of some sort, in the other, a metal containment case with strange markings, upon opening it reveals a green crystal.
Hmmmmm... Nanoha StrikerS had as a background element "Battalion 108", the home unit of Ginga Nakajima, commanded by her father, Genya Nakajima.

The Nanoha Wiki says that it's a criminal investigation unit.

So... NCIS Midchilda, anyone? No, wait; they're Army. CID Midchilda, anyone?

Or has this already been done?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's an idea that I had for a Marvel Comics/Lyrical Nanoha crossover:

It starts much like the first season of Lyrical Nanoha did, with an incident in space that leads to 21 powerful ancient artifacts (known in general as "Lost Logia'; these items in particular are called "Jewel Seeds") being scattered onto a planet whose inhabitants call "Earth". Young archeologist Yuuno Scrya, who initially discovered the Seeds, heads down to Earth in an attempt to recover them; however, he is wounded in a battle with a monster that was created by a Seed and is forced to disguise himself as a feerret to hide his identity. He's later rescued by a nine-year-old schoolgirl named Nanoha Takamachi, and they soon discover her latent magical capabilities and proceed to try to recover the lost Seeds before they can cause havoc on Earth.

However, this is Marvel Earth (and the Marvel Universe in general, or at least one instance of the Marvel Multiverse, anyway), which means both superheroes/superhero teams and supervillains/supervillain teams. Needless to say, some of the baddies manage to somehow find out about the Jewel Seeds and their immense abilities, and decide to capture some for their own respective gains. In addition, there's also a young girl about Nanoha's age named Fate Testarossa, who's also hunting the Jewel Seeds for her own mysterious ends.

As such, in order to collect the lost Jewel Seeds before things go really bad, Nanoha will need to team up with both the heroes of Earth and the Time=Space Administration Bureau (TSAB), the latter of whom Yuuno has at least some affiliation with. The race is now on to collect the Jewel Seeds and foil any dangerous plots that might involve them...
Not the same, but somewhat like it:

Nanoha Takamachi of 2814
(05-21-2023, 05:34 PM)hazard Wrote: Not the same, but somewhat like it:

Nanoha Takamachi of 2814

That's a Lyrical Nanoha/DC Comics crossover, and a crackfic at that. Definitely not the same, alright!
Kings of the Wyld

and

Gossamer Axe