Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Crossovers that Should Be: The Write Stuff
RE: Crossovers that Should Be: The Write Stuff
(10-23-2020, 08:39 AM)robkelk Wrote: "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning"
-- various notes written by Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick Smile

Yes, my only innovation here (assuming nobody previously thought of it) was using Explosive Runes to trigger ships blowing up.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
I had a anarchist wizard who would cast explosive runes on a piece of parchment, fold it into a paper airplane, and toss it out a high window. It kept people off his property. Of course, there is the question: does someone need to be literate to trigger explosive runes?
(10-23-2020, 06:03 PM)Ebony Wrote: I had a anarchist wizard who would cast explosive runes on a piece of parchment, fold it into a paper airplane, and toss it out a high window. It kept people off his property. Of course, there is the question: does someone need to be literate to trigger explosive runes?

It does note the runes need to be read IIRC, and someone who is not literate cannot read, so...

A better question would be whether or not one needs to be literate in the language the runes are written in.
(10-23-2020, 06:08 PM)hazard Wrote:
(10-23-2020, 06:03 PM)Ebony Wrote: I had a anarchist wizard who would cast explosive runes on a piece of parchment, fold it into a paper airplane, and toss it out a high window. It kept people off his property. Of course, there is the question: does someone need to be literate to trigger explosive runes?

It does note the runes need to be read IIRC, and someone who is not literate cannot read, so...

A better question would be whether or not one needs to be literate in the language the runes are written in.
If you are writing magic Runes why not just figure out how to do a set of  Timed delayed Triggeers? or a contact trigger? then you can read the thing your self and leave.
(10-23-2020, 06:24 PM)itsune9tl Wrote:

If you are writing magic Runes why not just figure out how to do a set of  Timed delayed Triggeers? or a contact trigger? then you can read the thing your self and leave.

Because you want the thing to go off when someone else is there.

And for the irony of it.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

The description in the 2nd Ed. Player's Handbook gives me the impression that the Explosive Runes themselves are invisible, and are triggered not by someone reading them but by reading the comparatively mundane text they've been inscribed over.  It states how difficult it is to detect the runes' presence — no thief has more than a 5% chance, and  magic users get only 5% chance per their own level.  And then, "The wizard who cast the spell, as well as any he instructs, can read the protected writing without triggering the runes."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
In order to deal with the menace of Roland the Headless Tompson Gunner, the CIA decides to fight fire with fire and recruit a marine known only as Camoflage.

Because there's no way that sending an honorable marine to assassinate someone with an entirely justifiable grudge against the CIA could go wrong.
Gotta love a music crossover...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(10-26-2020, 07:44 AM)Jinx999 Wrote: In order to deal with the menace of Roland the Headless Tompson Gunner, the CIA decides to fight fire with fire and recruit a marine known only as Camoflage.

Because there's no way that sending an honorable marine to assassinate someone with an entirely justifiable grudge against the CIA could go wrong.

So they were a PFC on a search patrol hunting Charlie down? I think it was in the wars in '65? 

PS: Stan Ridgway is a god.
SEZ
BZG
PMC in the Congo in 66-67
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Camouflage Stan Ridgway Wrote:I was a PFC on a search patrol huntin' Charlie down
It was in the jungle wars of '65

The first lyrics of Camouflage...
SEZ
BZG
(10-23-2020, 06:24 PM)itsune9tl Wrote:

There are other spells for that sort of thing. Fire Trap, for example. Glyph of Warding, for another.
IIRC 3e had cantrips for flinging any small object or specifically arrows and crossbow bolts as well, which would logically be adaptable as slightly higher level spells to fling a cannonball or shell directly or as a triggered item effect, rather than muckin' about trying to use fire spells as the charge in a cannon. One of the ideas I had but never got around to before burning out on class-and-levels fantasy entirely was to turn a quiver into a Wonderous Item that was basically a wand for the arrows version combined with the ability to hold the actual ammunition. Undoubtedly the kind of impractical thing that by the time you can make it as a character it's all but useless and no DM will allow having commissioned at lower levels, but eh. Insert that comic about wizards leaving shotguns lying around all over here Tongue
--
‎noli esse culus
Tanya Degurechaff is an illegitimate orphan, cross gender and an executioner. She firmly believes that all gods are bastards.

The individual Tanya called Being X looked at the interloper with trepidation. A fat figure in dirty white robes did not seem intimidating and had limited powers, but only a fool would oppose the gods of the world of Chalion.

"Mine."
Re:Creators and Sailor Moon Expanded.

For an added layer if Re:Creators is a known anime in SME.
In Cells at Work, from a certain point of view, the body might seem to resemble a communist state, where the individual cells are expected to work for the good of the whole, people are assigned their jobs at birth, and the law enforcers are paranoid and xenophobic.

Fantastic Voyage’s plot is very much Cold War and one of Asimov’s complaints about it was that shrinking people like that is physically impossible, so clearly the “shrink ray” must be doing something rather different than just physically shrinking the submarine.

The crew are trying to save the “world”, but are planning to do so by destroying a blot clot with a laser. And, who’s responsible for blood clots in Cells at Work?
Quote:And, who’s responsible for blood clots in Cells at Work?
Road construction crews?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Adorable, and I do mean adorable, road construction crews made up of early elementary school/pre-school age girls.
What on Earth am I watching? That was way too cute to watch so early in the day!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
"Cells at Work" is an anime that is based on the General explanations of how your body works given in Medical Biology. I wouldn't be surprised if this started out Someones Doodles while taking notes in class as a way to help them remember an otherwise Dry and boring set of Lectures.
It reminds me of a modern and Japanese version of the One Upon a Time Life series.
Don Quixote and Fate.

How would a summoning of legendary heroes cope with a guy who's legend is all about how tales of legendary heroes are unrealistic bollocks?
Well, whatever rank that Noble Phantasm would be, any magical skill or NP at a lower rank wouldn't function in his presence... but compared to many of the other figures who are summons in that setting, he's not that big a deal, so that wouldn't be that useful. Maybe expressed magic in general? That would at least shut down spell casters other than an actual Caster and the Masters.
--
‎noli esse culus
Two of the most dangerous, capable and weird mercenary groups in space.

The Dendarii Free Mercenaries vs. Tagon's Toughs.