Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume Seven
RE: RWBY Volume Seven
(I wish I could remember the title and author;

why am I somehow thinking of Asimov's Bicentennial man?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Nope, that's not it. This was a late 60s or early 70s-vintage novel; I remember checking it out from the county library for summer reading while I was in high school. The robot was wandering the world wondering why he was different -- one way was that he dreamt; he had a repeating dream of being on a conveyor belt feeding into a furnace or something else destructive. He finally found out what it meant when he found (returned to?) his "parents", the couple who had built him and (using means I do not remember) had each gifted him with half their soul so that he would have a full soul -- the dream was about the eventual return of all souls to where they come from at the end of life. And now that I think of it, I think the novel started with the robot running away from his "parents" for some reason.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
well, your right about that. This is not the plot of Azimov's Bicentenial Man. DamnifIknow what story it actually is
NO QUARTER!

That's an incredibly disturbing story concept. A character who receives something so profound, that the only dream they have after that is the day it's taken away from them. That's major SAN loss right there...
If we want to keep pursuing this mystery novel we can move the discussion into a new thread before it derails this one.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
So, todays ep. The Grimm invasion of Mantle, the deaths, the schemes? They were all setup. The real drama starts now. And I should note, everything here is totally in character for what we've seen of everyone. Every detail is established, there are no 'shock twists for the sake of shock twists'. Which is why it hits so hard.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
It's easy to make sacrifices when it's something you don't really think about.
I would argue "Something you don't really care about"; with the caveat that the reason you don't care about it is because your not thinking about it.
NO QUARTER!

The problem is,
So, I realize this isn't neccecarily relevant to season 7... but at the moment I am watching ep 12 of season 2, at the 6 minute mark in... and all I can think is ZOMG. which came first... a corgi as the admiral of a fleet of ship-girls, or this episode of RBWY?
NO QUARTER!

The problem is that Ironwood is Wrong Genre Savvy. He's trying to win a war against a powerful foe with strength of arms. Sacrifices in blood are inevitable. But he hasn't even considered that maybe he's in a magical girl anime and that maybe a team of Pretty Huntsmen girls (and Jaune (boys can be princesses too!)) could save the day.
It's not just that. Ironwood had always been a 'if every problem is a hammer' person, and his hammer is a giant army. This volume has made it clear that on top of that, even when he means well, he doesn't really understand or appreciate civilian suffering unless someone like Nora hammers it into his head. He considers the civilian government to be getting in the way of him Doing What's Needed, and the Council even called him out on ignoring the laws and regulations that are in place to prevent abuses of power.

And then we have the PTSD, which RT has treated far more realistically that. A lot of shows. In any proper military, he'd have been quietly removed from his position for everyones own good, himself included. But everyone around him is more loyal to him than the law. So he stays in power.

And all of that was before this do, when he flayed the skin off his arm. He's likely in shock, and on so many painkillers. Hell, if Salem hadn't shown up, he'd probably have hallucinated her anyway.

He's a tragedy, he's going to get a lot of people killed pointlessly, and I am utterly disgusted at the Ace-ops. Except maybe Marrow, they seem to be setting up a Sam Vines moment there.
The leaders of the academies are all drawn from The Wizard of Oz. So it's not hard to see where their faults are.

Lionheart suffered from a failing of courage. Therefore Ironwood (the Tin Woodsman, it's even in his name,) suffers from a lapse of faith. The Woodsman wanted a heart, so his failing is a fault in his ability to have faith in those around him when he needs it most. Siding with Salem and declaring martial law is the one singular act of bad judgement that costs him everything. I don't know if Atlas will literally plummet from the sky when the staff is presumably taken, but even if they can somehow crash-land it reasonably safely with whatever Dust-based levitation it actually has, the destruction will be catastrophic. And that will take Atlas out of the running.

I've been trying to figure out who the Scarecrow is for some time now, but can't think of anyone. Obviously his failing should be a lapse in intelligence at a crucial moment, but I'm not sure how that will play out.
The scarecrow could be Qrow, of course. He did a lot of dumb things while drunk, but he’s getting better. The only other real candidate is Professor Theodore in Vacuo, but his name implies Dorothy Gale to me.
"The General is making hard choices for the good of all of us" 𝅘𝅥𝅮 except the ones who are dead 𝅘𝅥𝅮

Wow, that episode gives me such personal feelings.  Totally did not go down how I expected.
(01-26-2020, 05:45 AM)Labster Wrote: "The General is making hard choices for the good of all of us" ? except the ones who are dead ?

Wow, that episode gives me such personal feelings.  Totally did not go down how I expected.

I ended up doing reaction thoughts as I went.

(EDIT by Bob: removed color tags which made this black-on-black in the San Felix theme.)
Quote:- ...God Dammit Tyrian. Just... five seconds without being fucking creepy, just five seconds, that's all I ask!

Not sure why you hid that in all black text inside a spoiler tag, that's the least spoilery not-a-spoiler I've ever seen. (OK, there is other stuff.)  Just remember that somewhere out there exist Tyrian fangirls.

Quote:- THE HAIR RETURNS.
And only for a few seconds!  Yang is taking her father's advice.
(01-27-2020, 05:36 AM)Labster Wrote:
Quote:- ...God Dammit Tyrian. Just... five seconds without being fucking creepy, just five seconds, that's all I ask!

Not sure why you hid that in all black text inside a spoiler tag, that's the least spoilery not-a-spoiler I've ever seen. (OK, there is other stuff.)  Just remember that somewhere out there exist Tyrian fangirls.

Because I was typing it as I watched. As for black text, I blame cut and paste.
The LOT o Ye!!!! And here I am trying to write what I hoped would be an absolutly hilarious bit, and now you two have me laughing so hard I can't breath!!!
NO QUARTER!

I've had a thought for a while now, so I figured I'd post it here first. Smile

I'm predicting Oscar will sacrifice himself so that Ozpin will jump again. This time, inside Salem. He can't kill her, but nothing says he can't save her. He built his original life's mission on rescuing people from impossible places no one else thought could be accomplished. What could be more epic than journeying inside the Wicked Witch's consciousness to save the soul of the woman he fell in love with?
(01-27-2020, 06:17 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: As for black text, I blame cut and paste.

No problem, taken care of.
-- Bob

(01-28-2020, 09:23 PM)Dragonflight Wrote: I've had a thought for a while now, so I figured I'd post it here first. Smile

I'm predicting Oscar will sacrifice himself so that Ozpin will jump again. This time, inside Salem. He can't kill her, but nothing says he can't save her. He built his original life's mission on rescuing people from impossible places no one else thought could be accomplished. What could be more epic than journeying inside the Wicked Witch's consciousness to save the soul of the woman he fell in love with?

I mean, that's half right, but we can't have a female Oz, that would be as bad as having a female Doctor or something.  Could you even imagine?  But really I disagree with you because it doesn't sound epic, it sounds boring and deus ex machina on a world the deities are specifically avoiding.  You are right that Salem can be saved.  It's the only way, and really, what the Brother Gods said was the victory condition from the beginning.

But okay, episode 13!  Last of the season, which means that in a week, our non-FIRSTies can be all caught up.  Just a warning that it's kind of a cliffhanger, because reasons.

At this point, Ironwood has jumped clean off the slippery slope, slid past the line down the bottom, and is racing along Good Intention Road to hell. And there are still people defending his actions. There is licking the boot, and then there is deepthroating it.
Ironwood's actions are not per se wrong, as he is trying to do the right thing.  It's just that he has stopped asking himself if he is wrong.  I think I read somewhere that evil people tend not to question their own actions, and think they are doing the right thing.  Abandoning the planet might be the only valid strategy, the only pyrrhic victory available.  But he stopped listening, even to his friends.

At this point I'm really starting to doubt Ozpin's sanity.  James, well, he always seemed to go to extremes.  Leo went the other way, trying anything to survive.  Were these folks really the best he could do?  It's like the narration says, it's about how one handles fear.  But Leo gave into his fear, while James sees only killing the fear.  And Raven, well, she ran away to wait for the apocalypse.  Qrow became a bitterly cynical alcoholic, and he is the best of Ozpin's inner circle.  Well, depending on what Glinda is up to these days.

So are these the best of the previous generation?  Like, seriously?  Maybe Oz just got desperate in this incarnation, having tried so many things in the past.  Maybe the despair gets to him.  Or maybe that's just what the fear and despair and impotence does to everyone else over decades, so no matter what happens, these folks end up doing a NERV impression.  Everyone breaks, eventually.  She'll find out how in the end.  After all, you can't stop her.  No one can.

Where have you gone, Pyrrha Nikos?  Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.