Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Login and adblockers
Login and adblockers
I'm more than moderately peeved that I have to turn off my adblocker to log in to the forums.

I had a long-winded post here detailing the problems I've been having trying to log in and requesting help.  As I was typing up the list of things I'd tried, it occurred to me that the one thing I hadn't was turning off adblocking.

"Surely that can't be it," I thought.  And surely enough, I was wrong.

reCAPTCHA doesn't work if you're blocking ads.  Frankly I'm not sure it works anyway -- I'm still unable to log in, but at least now I get the captcha popup and the message is that I need to wait since I've failed login too many times rather than that I need to solve the nonexistent captcha -- but, progress, I suppose.

Also: the board can't seem to email me, or at least, I haven't received any email (yes, I've checked, the address is correct; no, it's not going to spam).  Which makes the "forgot password" link rather useless.

Unless THAT's blocked by adblockers too, which would be silly(-ier).

Edit to add: I'm logged-in right now because my old computer, which the IT dept wants to take away Real Soon Now, has my login cached.  On my new computer I can't log in.  I don't know how much longer I'll have this one, hence my original reason for posting.

Edit the second: it looks like the reCAPTCHA is just borked.  I've waited for the timeout period and now it won't pop at all, and the forgot password bit *also* wants me to prove I'm not a robot (and won't pop the captcha either).  I've turned off the adblocker, javascript is enabled, I don't know what else I can do on my end.
--sofaspud
--
RE: Login and adblockers
Spud, not sure what I can tell you. Given that the board isn't my code (and I know next to nothing about PHP) the best I can do is make educated guesses about how it works. I know that reCAPTCHA doesn't always make an explicit challenge -- it has some mechanism whereby it figures out whether or not it needs to -- but I'm guessing that's not what's going on here.

What I can do is got to the myBB site and ask around and see if anyone else has had this issue and has an answer. I'm sorry it's been a long-standing problem for you, and that I've been more or less unable to fix it quickly.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....