Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
Yay! The trope list on All The Tropes:Pages needing standard headers is now below 500 entries, even without excluding the previously-excluded pages.

I've celebrated by adding more lists of pages needing specific attention to the page.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(08-05-2019, 07:31 PM)robkelk Wrote: So, who's going make the necessary edit to take the first entry (starts with "2 Girls") off the works list?

Hint: not me. I'll edit pages about works with excessive gorn. I'll edit pages about works that espouse philosophies that I disagree with. But I'm not touching that page.

No worries about that page, Rob.  Its entire contents (other than a cutesy pic) are:

Quote:Describe 2 Girls 1 Cup here.

On second thought, don't.

If you want to advance the start point of the works list one name, you can do so safely.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Nah, I've marked it as a candidate for speedy deletion (with the reason "Why do we even have this page? It's Zero-Content and not particularly funny.")

Well, that kept me busy today.

The Grand List of Overused Science Fiction Clichés now has icons on its entries, troper-submitted entries split off into separate sections, the original names on the subpages (which actually are subpages now) - and, most importantly, has the required copyright notice that should have been there since before the fork from TV Tropes.

Usually I manage to clear more than one page from Pages needing standard headers in a day...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Anybody want to do a bot run? Then regenerate the list and do another bot run? Then rinse and repeat until the list is empty...

This list - not every list on that page, just this one - is of "Heartwarming" subpages that don't use the Heartwarming template. The template can go anywhere on the page and still work... which is an ideal bot task: s/\Z/{{heartwarming}}/ or s/\A/{{heartwarming}}/
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Talking about headers and organisation.

If a Fanfic Rec is undecidably between an anime and a Manga per a work, and you need to sort it to one; do we default to manga?

Thanks.

Also sorry for my inactivity.
Mm. Good question. The fic itself doesn't say, perhaps in a note at the top or bottom? If not, toss it into Manga.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Minor milestone: the 'Tropes that do not use the "examples", "notableexamples", "genreworks", "examples on subpages", or "page should be category" template' list has dropped below 100 pages, from the over 500 pages it had at the beginning of the month.

Mind you, "Category:Pages that should be categories" has gone from zero entries to 95 entries in the same time period.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just put together a template for a particular set of category pages: {{Categories by decade}}

I thought it appropriate to have a list of our master "by and about the decades" categories, since there's no consistency to the names we've given the various decades' category names. Also, in five months, we can update one template and have the change propagate everywhere instead of updating ten or more category pages.

Which leads to the question: What are we going to call the category for the 2020s?

I would like to preemptively veto "The Decade with Perfect Vision". Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah I wondered about decade categories, especially as it seems only films and anime had that IIRC, not video games or books.
FOUND A FIX TO UNCATEGORISED IMAGES PROBLEM PER FALSE POSITIVES:

Remove a category it has per HotCat.

Rollback/undo the change.

It will remove from uncategorised files, removing the false positive.
(08-20-2019, 07:31 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: Yeah I wondered about decade categories, especially as it seems only films and anime had that IIRC, not video games or books.

Er... We've had "Literature of the #" and "Manga of the #" categories for a while now. And you probably just didn't notice that I set up the "Video Games of the #" categories earlier today.

Not saying we have a complete set yet, just that there are more than just the two.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bit of an update for Ecceltennysmith. I got ahold of them (we've been communicating privately via email concerning unrelated matters, though this topic came up awhile back), and I intend to hold them to their assurances their cut and paste they were guilty of will not be repeated. From what I understand, it was not done long-term, it was a moment of weakness borne of them succumbing to the temptation to cut corners and bend rules.

Given how she's proven good as her word on not repeating the folly so far, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt unless this happens again. If it does, then I will be the first to make the temp ban last much longer at the very least.
Oh, good. I'm glad someone else is watching over her work, because after the couple of bungles I've made after spotting the cut-n-paste incident I've backed off from doing much more than clicking "patrolled" on her contributions of late. And if you feel confident in her future behavior, we can turn autopatrolled back on for her.

You might want to tell her that the word is "respective", not "respectable", though... <grin>
-- Bob

I remember just responding to a week old convo between Bob and Ecc, where he ported from one subpage to another, and she merely forgot to change "this very wiki" to TVT.

Obviously by the look of this, it seems that there is more to the overall context. which I may have missed per her porting a TVT page, which does happen frequently.

I also understand I've been rather AWOL per IRL shit, but I think that maybe we can be a little merciful I guess, from what I see, she seems like a contributing user otherwise; but I am willing to be proven wrong.

maybe I've getting soft with age IDK.
I put together a little something that I think might be useful. Do we want to replace our current "pages needing cleanup" page with this page?

Today, I've been using it to standardize the text of the cleanup boxes of a noticeable fraction of the pages.

(Speaking of which, some of the pages now say "The page needs a grammar check." Not "Edward D. Hoch", though - I checked, and there's no grammar to be found on that page! It now says "The page needs grammar.")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, I like that quite a bit. That definitely makes it easier to target the kind of work you want to do.

Any way we can get it sorted either alphabetically by name, or by page type and then name? Either would serve.
-- Bob

It's a sortable table - click on the arrowhead icon in the cell of the title line and it'll sort on that column.

EDIT: And the page is now linked from Category:Pages Needing Cleanup as a beta tool.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah! I hadn't noticed that -- I was well down the list before I realized I wanted it sorted, and assumed it was typical table markup.
-- Bob

I figured out how to sort them by pagename, so that's in the page now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As far as I'm concerned, that list is now ready for primetime, and has been added to Category:Pages Needing Cleanup.

What's the trope for a trope name coming from something that isn't an example of what it named? (E.g. Steppenwolf's song "Born to Be Wild", which has the line "Heavy Metal Thunder" but isn't a Heavy Metal song.)

I know we have this list, but we don't call it "Not an Example".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Potential candidates:
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Never_Trust_a_Title
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Non-Indicative_Name
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Non-Appearing_Title
https://allthetropes.org/wiki/In_Name_Only

If I'm interpreting you right, which is a likely stretch
None of those appear to have anything to do with naming tropes...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Lots of 503s today.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Technical error help:

Need to delete/edit these broken redirects:[Image: 99gXhMx.png]
However then I do, this happens:[Image: 4IYKqDT.png]
Oh, dear freaking gods, EcclyTennySmithyLove.

Guys, read this. Because she couldn't figure out how to create subpages for Dragon Force (video game), she was putting YMMV, Trivia and other subpage tropes for the game on the pages for the band DragonForce, apparently on the grounds that because they had the same name they were ultimately the same thing. I made an ex cathedra policy declaration after hearing that; I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

But dear gods, how freaking stupid do you have to be...?
-- Bob