Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIV
Remember a month ago, when DPL couldn't show everything on the Tropes that do not use the "examples", "notableexamples", "genreworks", "examples on subpages", or "page should be category" template list?

Now we're down to 26 entries on that list... which I have no idea what to do with. Who wants to handle these last two-baker's-dozen pages?

EDIT: And is it time yet to move the pages on the Tropes that need better descriptions list back to the Trope Workshop?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Only a couple at a time, but yeah.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, what the hell's up with Miraheze today? It's not enough that the morning's been 503s every fifteen minutes, but over the last half hour the wiki intermittently disappears, leaving behind a minimalist MediaWiki "no wiki here, dude" error page that only goes away after a couple refreshes.

I mean, what gives?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Oh joy. Now the icons used by our various box templates, like {{trope workshop}}, are missing.

EDIT: No, wait a minute, it appears to be a forerunner to the entire wiki vanishing from the face of the Net, after a minute or so of 503s.
-- Bob

It's coming back... and at least some pages need to be purged to get their icons back.

Yeah, annoying - especially when I was in the middle of moving a page to make room for a disambiguation page. Good thing my method of doing that was designed to not break any links.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-06-2019, 07:27 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Only a couple at a time, but yeah.
Let's start with an egregious example: Static Electricity. The description is currently two sentences long, the first of which is an Example as a Thesis.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A slight digression in the hope that somebody here might know... The freebie wiki has a lot of images that I don't have backed up anywhere. Are there any "point and drool" utilities I can run to download everything on the list of recent files? EDIT: Or, for that matter, all the files? I'm so far behind that I may as well start from zero.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<sigh>

Guess what DocColress did as soon as the one-week vacation from the wiki ended?

I'd point you at the thread, but the wiki's gone 503 on us again. At least I was able to add a link to GethN7's thread (the one linked in the current sitenotice) before that happened.

Labster, you might need to actually weigh in on this one... Sorry.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wiki's back. Here's the page.

Bob, tag - you're it. "Good Cop" isn't working.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm at the beach with friends. I'll have to be bad cop later tonight.
-- Bob

Actually, never mind. Please reply to this instead.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And he's threatened to leave the wiki.

I've offered to help him pack.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-07-2019, 03:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: And he's threatened to leave the wiki.

I've offered to help him pack.

So did I.

Here's the gauntlet I dropped on the table:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:V6w7d5axrln8d1ua&topic_showPostId=v6w7d5axrplal5si&fromnotif=1#flow-post-v6w7d5axrplal5si

I
 also have yanked Doc's mod bit indefinitely until they are willing to play ball completely, assuming they want to.
Just can't be helped by this point.

Also let's not use "I has Mensa-level IQs" as a defense against some meaningless insult like brainless, it just makes us come off worse. We don't need to auto-fellate.
Yeah, sorry, Rob, but I kinda cringed at that.

I'm at dinner with our friends right now. I've been catching this whole thing in bits and pieces through the afternoon with no real chance to act on it; I kinda regret that it's reached this point.
-- Bob

And I have replied on-wiki to express my displeasure at all y'all for causing this situation.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(09-07-2019, 08:18 PM)Labster Wrote: And I have replied on-wiki to express my displeasure at all y'all for causing this situation.

Amen.

I have dropped a large olive branch on the table here:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...dbyfcl2idu

I hope this puts an end to this.

As for Rob, I must side with the others in voicing my displeasure at your attitude, but for now, I just believe a reprimand will suffice.
Reprimand accepted.

Do people want me to take a break from the wiki? Should I take a break from the wiki?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's not about taking a break, it's more the need to re-read and reflect upon the messaging you output before communicating with other individuals, especially as we want to at least be welcoming to newcomers who are looking for a respite from TVT-style politics. If someone pisses you off on the wiki, a reminder to not respond instantly out of emotion will help both yourself but the long-term operation of the wiki, as many wikis have suffered through staff acting upon emotion and not reason, hence ATT was created in the first place.

I've expressed concern before per all of us coming across as too hard-handed in our communications to non-staff users before. Maybe I need to be more firm on it.
That's a no for "want me to"... but, since you're telling me to do something that I was doing all along, it's a yes on "should".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-08-2019, 10:51 AM)robkelk Wrote: That's a no for "want me to"... but, since you're telling me to do something that I was doing all along, it's a yes on "should".

Rob, it was just a reprimand for incivility, that's all. You've shown willingness to accept fault and are taking steps currently to show contrition, so no need for anything further.
I appreciate the vote of confidence.

But we give people vacations from the wiki for incivility, and we say there's no special treatment for mods.

(Oh, and would somebody please let DocColress know I'm not ignoring him?)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-08-2019, 01:44 PM)robkelk Wrote: I appreciate the vote of confidence.

But we give people vacations from the wiki for incivility, and we say there's no special treatment for mods.

As the party who has attempted active neutrality during this whole situation with the most seniority, EVERYONE INVOLVED has lost their temper to some degree, and since I personally would find it counterproductive to be harsher than I have been previously and given one or two outbursts aside your indignation was mostly well intentioned and based on policy, consider this mercy, and if that still makes you feel that you need self-imposed penalties, then you can request a temporary removal of mod powers.
If it means anything, I find some of Rob's subpages to be very useful as to objectives to accomplish when I returned after my personal hiatus, I think that sometimes we all need breaks; so I am not opposed to Rob making that personal decision for himself. Doc is/was at most fault of this situation, I am not pretending otherwise.
(09-08-2019, 01:55 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-08-2019, 01:44 PM)robkelk Wrote: I appreciate the vote of confidence.

As the party who has attempted active neutrality during this whole situation with the most seniority, EVERYONE INVOLVED has lost their temper to some degree, and since I personally would find it counterproductive to be harsher than I have been previously and given one or two outbursts aside your indignation was mostly well intentioned and based on policy, consider this mercy, and if that still makes you feel that you need self-imposed penalties, then you can request a temporary removal of mod powers.

I went to the thread, and the first thing I saw was what looked like DocColress yelling at me.

It's not safe for me to take part at the moment. Please flip that toggle.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown