Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Fifth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Fifth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
One last thing before I really go on Hiatus here.  Brent, you will probably find this to be very useful as the City of Venice and LA have literally buried all the evidence.

The thing about the canals in Venice, CA kept bugging me - in particular, the exact geography of where they link into the still-existing canals.

It took me some time of looking at a copy online of one of the original plans for the canals, and at the modern Google Maps before I finally figured it out.  Bear with me here, as this will take a bit of explanation.

Rialto Avenue is really only half the road it originally was.  Where it met Riviera Avenue, it originally continued northwards all the way to Westminster Avenue.  For whatever reason, this northern leg of Rialto Avenue has been renamed to make it part of Riviera Avenue.

In Google Maps, you will notice that Riviera, for whatever inane reason the city planners decided on, jogs east by one lot's space at Grand Avenue (the original location of the Grand Canal).  It continues on from there at a slight angle to intersect with Mildred Avenue, where it becomes Dell Avenue.  (This is probably why they did it - to have the road continue on at Dell Avenue - but why that awkward jog at Grand Avenue exists is beyond me.)

In the original incarnation of the canals, instead of jogging to the east, Riviera Avenue actually cut directly straight across - bridging over the aptly-named Grand Canal, and continuing in a straight line to Mildred Avenue.

Directly adjacent to Riviera Avenue on it's west side, a canal ran parallel to the road where it passed under Mildred Avenue, and immediately afterward turns west and runs for one block (where the small road Grand Canal is now located), and then turns south again (where Canal St. now lays).

To help make things more clear, I've revised my original remapping of the old canals, showing where the actual canals would be.  In addition, I've found that the canals were far wider than I would have originally guessed.  Near as I can tell, the lots all ran right up to the edge of the canals.  This was why property owners prior to the filling of the canals were able to place fencing all the way out to the canal's edge, leaving no room for a public walkway.

Key:
Black - Original location of Riviera Avenue
Pink - These roads did not exist - they are only marked for clarification.
Orange - Location of the original rail lines, both standard gauge and miniature - they are only marked for clarification.
Green - Possible location of a motor vehicle through-way, with bridges marked in light green.
Yellow - Bridges that were likely intended for foot-traffic only.

As you can see, Grand Canal covers a significant area that will take out several blocks.  Though if Cinder is really kicking up as much of a ruckus as I suspect she will be, this area should be fairly well vacated by the time Sakura does her thing.

Further note: I forgot to color in the bridge where Mildred Avenue would cross over the canal and intersect with Riviera Avenue.  Mildred and Riviera present another option for a motor vehicle throughway as the currently existing road now runs out to North Venice Boulevard.

Hope that this comes in handy.

I'm off now.  See you guys later.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Fifth Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals - by Black Aeronaut - 10-31-2019, 03:07 AM