Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about Doug that I don't recall ever having asked
A question about Doug that I don't recall ever having asked
Question 
Here's a question that I don't recall has ever been asked, let alone answered: If Doug is having (for whatever reason) an out-of-body experience, does his power go with him?

The specific case that made me curious was in a particular work - simply naming it is a major spoiler. The work has a cyberspace that can be accessed "in person" using a method that is shown to involve the consciousness (and possibly the soul) of the person who makes the trip while the person's body remains behind.

If Doug were to access this cyberspace, would he still have his powers, or are they linked to his body?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: A question about Doug that I don't recall ever having asked
Gah. Can I get back to you on that? I mean, I have precedents that can be interpreted both ways, and I'd want to consult with Helen and Kat (as the two Warriors GMs with the longest terms of office) and work out an answer.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Sure. No rush.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
... boy, is there no rush. I forgot about this entirely. Let me put it back on the to do list.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
It's just a thought, but for all we know this is all an out of body experience. Doug is lying in a hospital bed in a Coma while his brain heals from what ever was done to it. his subconscious mind is making it all up on the fly from what ever his body is barely perceiving in the background.
... fun speculation, but nope. The Girls are most definitely going to show up at the guard post at the front gate of the Mansion one day, Luna's going to wave her pass (which will register as unknown but frighteningly valid) and before you know it, the Girls and the Warriors are going to be on the Valdemar-Hardorn border helping Valdemar and Kerowyn's Company stomp the hell out of Ancar's army (and eventually making a visit to the Eastern Empire to express displeasure in their methods).

And Doug will be awake for all of it.
-- Bob

(08-27-2019, 07:11 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... fun speculation, but nope.  The Girls are most definitely going to show up at the guard post at the front gate of the Mansion one day, Luna's going to wave her pass (which will register as unknown but frighteningly valid) and before you know it, the Girls and the Warriors are going to be on the Valdemar-Hardorn border helping Valdemar and Kerowyn's Company stomp the hell out of Ancar's army (and eventually making a visit to the Eastern Empire to express displeasure in their methods).

And Doug will be awake for all of it.

Which will derail the sequence of events leading to Hardorn getting a 
  But I suppose the Celestials roaming around declaring that people who've never heard of them belong to them won't much care about that.  I'd kind of like to see Vkandis force them to care.  And considering what Elspeth and Vanyel both had to say about people having Destinies shoved upon them....

(Yeah; I found myself taking a dislike to the Girls after some of the things they said in their New York intervention.  No Gods, No Masters.)

-----
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atombomb, the dread destroyer, who would some day come to end the world. None were very good gods, and I worshipped none of them." — Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, H. Beam Piper