Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, are the Republicans having some sort of competition?
RE: So, are the Republicans having some sort of competition?
That's about normal for economists. Economics is basically just reading chicken guts and hoping you're right. Some of the EU's more austere policies were based on an excel spreadsheet where an intern had made a grad-and-drop error that nobody had noticed.

Woops.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Symptoms of the deeper problem at hand - like as if this is any surprise to anyone after Trump and Pence got voted in.  The Guardian reports on a poll that looked carefully at pro-lifers that found that they are pretty much overwhelmingly misogynistic.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...ling-women
Here is a bit of slightly better news, concerning chickens coming home to roost. Alex Jones of Infowars has lost another legal battle with regard to his defaming the parents of the Sandy Hook victims.  

One reader, who claimed to be Anonymous, offered a particularly good snark about this: [the italics are mine]

Quote:I have created a GoFundMe to help with Alex’s legal costs. We will gladly accept and payment in the form of either thoughts or prayers to help Alex through these troubling times.

-----
I'm a very forgiving person ... on Lord Vader's terms.  "Apology accepted, Captain."
Stop me if you've heard this one...

Trump just fired his national security adviser. Bolton says he offered to resign.

So, that's three in three years, fired from a position that really shouldn't have any turnover during an administration. Much like the chief of staff position - oh, wait, there's been three people in that slot in the last three years, too.

Y'know, if you're surrounded by people you see no choice but to fire, maybe you should look in the mirror and ask why the person you see there keeps hiring such people.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Hiring terrible people for his staff and then firing them when they don't lick his boots clean enough?

Getting all chummy with known dictators and authoritarians, even openly admiring them?

Rage-quitting on peace talks?  (Even if they are with known terrorist organizations...)

Denying scientific facts and making up his own "science"? (e.g.: Dorian)

Being openly misogynistic and corrupt?

It still amazes me he got elected.
People wanted change. They never said the change had to make sense.

And, to be fair, I would have called off the peace talks if I was in his shoes. The other side talking peace while making war shows they are either insincere or incompetent.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
on the last rob, simply dishonest. They have no, and never had any intention of allowing things to stay as they are and be peaceful, why not, all they have to do is disappear into the mountains for a few months until we or the Afghan army relaxes and then their back to making mass killings until the government gives them control, AGAIN.

Hate me all you want for saying it, but sometimes all you can do is kill them all, and i do mean ALL.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Honestly John Bolton leaving the White House is one of the few things I agree with. I'm sure I'll regret agreeing once Anne Coulter or who the fuck-ever gets appointed National Security Adviser, but for now, I'm happy about less risk of war with two near nuclear powers.

So far as the collapsed peace talks, only Trump would trumpet his failures to the world as if it was a success. Shut the hell up dude, for your own good.

I'm more concerned that 4 states are planning to skip their primary elections for the Republicans, because obviously Trump will win. A fifth, the GOP in California, is in the process of changing their rules so that they don't have to respect the results of the primary election here.

Oh, and in the meantime, Trump is faking official weather maps with a Sharpie™ for God only knows what reason, and the National Weather Service and its parent agency are publicly in conflict about the hurricane forecast. Oh, and reportedly the threatened to fire people who forecasted the hurricane accurately because it didn't match Trump's story. I don't know about you, but I'd have second thoughts about trusting any NWS forecast in the future. And I'm a meteorologist, and I know that if people don't trust the forecasts, then people will die. This, on its own, is an impeachable offense. It's a federal crime to alter an NWS forecast.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Wait, really? That would be hilarious, if that was the straw they finally got to stick on and break the pilchard's back.
--
‎noli esse culus
Toss that on the growing pile of impeachable offenses. The only difference here is that it's so blatant and ham-handed on top of being idiotic.
I forget where I read it, but someone compared it to a third-grader clumsily trying to change a "D" to a "B".
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The word from Tennessee is that higher education is a bad thing.

He also said, 
Quote:"I'm the one that ran for office and there was not a single person of color in my race. Don't blame me."
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
[sarcasm mode] The nerve of that woman! [sarcasm mode off]  

The Dotard's idea of condolences to journalist Cokie Roberts' family on her death begins with the statement that "she never treated me nicely."  Of course, to what passes with Il Douche for a mind, everything is all about him.

-----
Considering that one dictionary definition of "carry on" is to "behave or speak in a foolish, excited, or improper manner," the designers of that famous poster, "Keep Calm and Carry On," need to make up their flippin' minds!
"Great and unmatched wisdom."  Dear gods.
-----
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that this was some killer weed."
Great Scott, he really is a cartoon villain in real life isn't he? Clearly what we need is a motley gang of plucky teenagers led by an unlikely saviour and accopanied by some kind of small, fluffy, and ridiculously cute animal.
--
‎noli esse culus
Does Greta Thunburg have a pet?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(10-07-2019, 03:27 PM)DHBirr Wrote: "Great and unmatched wisdom."  Dear gods.
I'll grant the "unmatched" part.

It would be nice if the GOP traded up and nominated somebody with wisdom matched by the rank-and-file voter...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Trump reminds me of the 80’s Cobra Commander from the GI Joe cartoon.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
(10-07-2019, 07:10 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Trump reminds me of the 80’s Cobra Commander from the GI Joe cartoon.

Ugh.  And on top of that, the Space Force thing?  Next thing you'll know there will be a company called M.A.R.S. touting space-based weaponry.
(10-07-2019, 07:10 PM)SilverFang01 Wrote: Trump reminds me of the 80’s Cobra Commander from the GI Joe cartoon.

Well, yeah. CC is based off him.
... do you have a source for that? Because it would be funny, but it's a bit hard to believe.
--
‎noli esse culus
(10-08-2019, 02:49 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: ... do you have a source for that? Because it would be funny, but it's a bit hard to believe.

Oh, Cobra Commander isn't directly based off him. I was being slightly sarcastic. Although the failed used car salesman origin has comedic potential... Rather, a lot of elements of villains in 80s and 90s cartoons were taken from Trump and a number of other billionaires of the time. People who were so ridiculously evil, selfish and greedy that they were perfect models for such things.

EDIT: Dammit, now I'm source hunting, because it sounds absolutely plausible, I've heard it countless times for at least a decade, but I can't remember seeing a source. Dammit...
I've got a book, published in 1990, called "America A user's guide". It's part of genre of books where a British reporter has spent some time in America and wants to explain it to a UK audience. It does have quite a bit on Trump, back when he was a dubious property developer.

It includes the phrases "engaged in a toe-to-toe fight with Hugh Hefner for the title of 'America's Greatest Ego'" and "final act of self admiration will be to name himself after himself, 'Trump J. Trump - the name screams quality.'"
I think this promotional music video for The Goonies starring Cyndi Lauper is an excellent example of what you're talking about, Matrix.  Granted, they are caricatures taken to their extremes, but each one stems from the same prototype - a person so wealthy that they are absolutely obnoxious because wealth is power and absolute power corrupts.

(10-07-2019, 03:27 PM)DHBirr Wrote: "Great and unmatched wisdom."  Dear gods.
'In my great and unmatched wisdom': Donald Trump's new world order

Set aside an hour to watch (or listen to) the entire discussion.

Panelists:
  • David Frum, staff writer at The Atlantic and former speech writer for President George W. Bush (definitely the right-leaner)
  • Linda McQuaig, journalist
  • Bob Rae, the 21st Premier of Ontario (definitely the left-leaner)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown