Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of adding something to the boards
Thinking of adding something to the boards
For nigh unto fifty years, New York Magazine had a feature (curated for most of that time by the late Mary Ann Madden) called simply the "New York Magazine Competition".  It first came to my attention in the 1970s when I stumbled across a paperback with the picture of a pair of immaculately trousered legs sticking out, upside down, from an inkwell on the cover, and the intriguing title Maybe He's Dead.  It was a collection of Competitions and their results.  I bought the book, which I still own, and it remains a favorite to this day.

Basically, Ms Madden would post a challenge that usually encouraged imagination, clever and creative wordplay, and/or a twisted sense of humor. She would get submissions from the magazine's readers, and then post the results a few issues later with a new competition.  To give you an example of what it was like, here's the titular competition from the book, and its winning entry:

From Competition No. 366, “What I Should Have Said / What I Said”:
1. “Look, there’s a lot of traffic, and he’s probably stuck in a meeting all day and didn’t get your message, or he’d have called. I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about.”
2. “Maybe he’s dead.”
—Cynthia Harrison, Rockville, Md.
(There are a few more examples in the article linked from Mary Ann Madden's name above.)

One of my favorites was "The Kangaroo Joke", in which she provided the old joke about a kangaroo going into a bar and getting overcharged for a vodka martini, and then challenged the readers to retell the joke in the style of a famous person. I can still recite the Edgar Allan Poe pastiche which recast the joke as "The Raven".

So, for quite a while now, I've been thinking of creating a "Competition" board, harvesting a few hundred or so of my favorites from Maybe He's Dead and the other Competition books I have, and posting them there once a week or two for the incredibly creative and imaginative denizens of the DW Forums to have their merry way with them.

Would anyone be interested in playing?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Thinking of adding something to the boards
I don't know how active I would actually be with it, but it sounds interesting in the abstract.
--
‎noli esse culus
I might play sometimes. Not all the time, but at least some of them.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'd love a chance to flog my brain with something that isn't actively designed to hurt me.
Well, so far no one's said "that idea sucks", so I guess I'll be setting this one in motion. Cool.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
forum description Wrote:the tradition of the New York Magazone Competition,

Did you mean: "MegaZone"?

Either that or politics really is starting to spread to the other boards.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Gah
-- Bob