Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So apparently it's my turn in the hospital now...
RE: So apparently it's my turn in the hospital now...
Annnnd done.

They put me under the knife at about 9am on Monday and had me out by about 12:30pm.  The only reason it took so long was that they were being very careful and methodical about it.  The lead surgeon apparently has had a lot of experience in his field, and is a big believer in "Slow and steady wins the race."  I'll ask him more about how the operation itself went when I have my follow-up in two weeks.

Got five little incisions this time instead of three.  Fortunately, this glue-stuff they use instead of staples is good at minimizing scarring, so my belly won't look like someone's been using me as a pin cushion.

My guts hurt like hell, but I've been given Tylenol-3 (325mg Acetaminophen (aka Paracetamol) with 5mg Hydrocodone) along with some laxatives.

Seriously, you'd think they'd give me stronger pain meds after seeing how I tanked that much Dilaudid.  Tylenol-3 is something I'd prefer to take for a headache along with 500mg of Naproxen Sodium.  (Gotta have that analgesic+anti-inflammatory one-two punch.)

Fortunately, no dietary restrictions.  They had me eating Salisbury Steak and hamburgers from the hospital cafeteria the moment I got back to my room.  (For hospital food, it was pretty damn good eating.  They've really upped their game at Audie Murphy.)

After having not been able to eat anything ever since Saturday night, I annihilated both lunch and dinner meals with extreme prejudice.

On a side note, we picked up a rescue kitten last night.

We had to go back to my work place because I had to leave my truck there - that last gallbladder attack came while I was on the job and I had to call in one of my brothers to drive me over to the ER.  And over the last week or so, there's been a little orange tabby kitten there crying for its mom.  We've been giving it Canadian bacon (least seasoned meat we have) along with cheese and water to make sure the little feller stays alive.

As luck would have it, though, when I went to get into my truck, the little guy sees me coming, panics, goes for my truck...

....and then climbs up into the spare tire compartment under the bed.

We will now take a moment for face-palms and head-desks.

Anyhow, this obviously meant we had to spend a few minutes to fish the little critter out of there (because I sure as hell wasn't gonna start driving with him/her up in there), and we figured that since we got our hands on the feller, we may as well foster the kitten until we can get it to the Humane Society.

Currently, we're leaning towards "Cheeto" for a name.

[Image: 61F0BBE6-C745-4E1C-8A30-AD452FB657B0.jpg...height=549]

[Image: IMG_1734.jpg?width=412&height=549]

If anyone is willing to make a trip down here to San Antonio to adopt this little cutey, you're more than welcome to do so.  Just keep in mind that this is a feral that we're trying to socialize now, but fortunately they're the right age for it.
Glad to hear you came through okay, BA.

Can't help with the kitten, though. Peg's allergic.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well, I'm doing okay for sure.  The day before, some of my incision sites were aching like hell.  I guess they really had to go all out with some of those laparoscopic tools.

Fortunately, though, they settled down yesterday.  And now?  It's been over twelve hours since my last dose of pain meds wore off.  I can still feel them, but no real pain that I can't shrug off - it's about on the same level as a day-old cut that you've covered up with a band-aid.

Which means I've now got some Tylenol-3 to sling back whenever I get those lovely little headaches brought on by the arthritis in my neck.  Wooo-weee!  Tongue

No worries - I never abuse the stuff.  I only ever take them when I'm in actual pain and never as a preventative.  I do take the "as needed" part of the prescription seriously.  Besides, this stuff is precious to me, because when I'm HURTING?  It's about the only thing that's gonna do the trick.  Regular Tylenol hardly even cuts it for me.

I just chalk this up to the pain threshold my stepdad programmed into my head.  I don't start looking for pain relief until the point at which ordinary people can no longer function.  But if you think I'm bad that way?  Stepdad is even worse!
I hear ya there, BA. Not necessarily on the higher pain threshold, but that I hate using pain relievers unless I really, truly need them. Whether it's just psychological or not building up a tolerance, the effect they produce when I do take one is pronounced as well, despite what may charitably be called a higher than average body mass and the usual instructions being the classic two for adults, one for children.

Glad you're feeling better, and recovering swiftly!
--
‎noli esse culus