Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Like I don't have enough irons in the fire right now...
Like I don't have enough irons in the fire right now...
... when it comes to writing, especially since I haven't produced anything in a while for the current projects, but a new idea has been insisting on elbowing its way to the front of my consciousness.  And I'm posting about it here because it's COH-related:

Evangelia, immediately post-2012-shutdown, wakes up in Aincrad from Sword Art Online.

No solid plot yet, but some interesting ontological issues to explore, particularly with her as a player character with no player behind her... and of course all her incarnate abilities come along...

What's bothering me is that I really want to finish up the current chapters of DW8 and DW-S first, but this is building the kind of inertia in my mind that DW-S did when it first demanded that I start writing it some years back.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: Like I don't have enough irons in the fire right now...
Hmmmmm...

Do you want to write this just because it's a new idea?

Are you getting bored with the stories you have going?

Would this be something that would become a better story if you put the idea into your devfile for a few weeks or months and come back to it after you've finished a chapter in one of the other works you have going? (You don't drink beer the day it's put in the vat, after all - and, like beer, story ideas need time to mature.)

If the answers are no, no, and no, then go for it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
If you've got something that wants to be written, write it. Stifling the muse because it's not the thing you think you should work on now is a great way to lose traction altogether.
--
‎noli esse culus
What CD Just said....
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
I think the main reason that I'm hesitant to start this is the amount of research I'd have to do. It's been a few years since I saw the SAO anime, and I've never read the light novels, and if I write this I want to do it right.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Not to put too fine a point on it, but SAO is kind of bad when you look at any particular detail. Like a "stand off scale" model airplane, it'll probably fly better if you just take the general outline and fill the rest in with stuff that makes sense.
--
‎noli esse culus
(09-09-2019, 06:22 PM)classicdrogn Wrote: Not to put too fine a point on it, but SAO is kind of bad when you look at any particular detail. Like a "stand off scale" model airplane, it'll probably fly better if you just take the general outline and fill the rest in with stuff that makes sense.

The worldbuilding is terrible, the plotline gets increasingly stupid, and there's no understanding of the concept the writer is working with anyway... That said, giving Asuna an experienced badass as a teacher would be utterly fantastic, then go from there.
I don't share other's distaste for SAO as I rather enjoyed it, well ok more the idea of seeing things through the eyes of a RPG character and being able to see 'status' and information over and around you. I love the concept of 'The Gamer' webcomic and personally I'd love to see a AU universe where Eva wakes up and suddenly finds Level's, numbers, observable info of people.
...Eva already sees that info, via the Herocomm -- it's what cons the different foes different colors, gives her her HP/End status on her teammates, and all those other good things. It's when she and the SAO players don't con correctly to each other that they start suspecting something weird is going on. (And when her incarnate powers work, too. Broadsword/Invuln? Just looks like a very high-level player. Ion Judgment and the like? Whoa, this game doesn't have a magic system! WTF?)
-- Bob

Hah I had no idea Eva had means to tracking health of others and conning enemies like that! Now I'm kinda curious to know whom else has characters that have ways to track other people that way. I never even considered the herocom doing that.
All right, so it's my headcanon that half or more of the game interface is actually the Herocomm interface seen by the character. But it's useful and internally consistent headcanon.
-- Bob

I've never had a reason to bring it up in game, but I can agree with that thought, it would blend with my whole man who got merged with a machine backstory, after all. all the con data, etc, would be his machine sensors overaid on his existing visual perceptions.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children