Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buckle your seatbelts, everyone....
Buckle your seatbelts, everyone....
.... Because Nancy Pelosi just announced that the House would begin a FORMAL impeachment inquiry.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/us/po...trump.html

[Image: giphy.gif]
RE: Buckle your seatbelts, everyone....
Huh, she started it earlier than I thought she would've.
They can't look like a bully by not leaving the GOP enough time to find an alternate candidate, after all. That's bad optics.

And did that article say Trump tweeted "PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!"? I guess he doesn't know what the phrase means. (Much like "police brutality" is not "brutal actions committed on police officers", "Presidential harassment" is not "harassing actions committed on the President".) Or maybe he's confessing to it.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
He baited them and they fell for it, four more years of Trump are now assured as is a republican controlled house
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

The impeachment process has gotten past the point where it can be stopped, just like the last three times the process has gotten this far. The only way it can be stopped now is by use of the Nixon Maneuver.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-24-2019, 07:44 PM)robkelk Wrote: The impeachment process has gotten past the point where it can be stopped, just like the last three times the process has gotten this far. The only way it can be stopped now is by use of the Nixon Maneuver.
Rob, they are doing an impeachment inquiry, thus to see if impeachment is actually warranted, Pelosi could still wave her hands and say, "Nope, nothing here folks." at least I think technically she could. Politically she wouldn't have a seat after the election, but that is also possible if she does the impeachment and like Andrew Johnson's impeachment, loses.
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

To be fair to the Democrats, this is a pretty open and shut case. It's just a matter of going through the motions now.

Seriously, it doesn't matter how you slice it. It's one thing if you dick over your nation as it's leader. It's entirely another when, in the process of dicking over said country, you get other nations involved. It's like that scene in the movie, The Rocketeer where Cliff Secord asks Neville Sinclair, point-blank, in front of Valentine and his crew if the Nazi's paid him in Dollars or Deutschmarks. At which point, Valentine turns to Sinclair and says, "Buddy. I may be a crook, but I'm a red-blooded American."
The problem with impeachement is that - unlike with Nixon when both parties were ready to string him up - the contents of one of the houses doesn't especially give a flying fuck about what the President is doing so long as it doesn't affect their own comfy chairs. The Senate will block anything that threatens it's position - right or not. The system assumes the arses in the seats will do the job they're supposed to do regardless of party affiliation - the right things will be done. Government systems assume good faith on some level - and just look at the chaos that's happening in the UK when the executive starts acting in bad faith.

Nobody assumed that a legislature would continue to support a president doing blatantly illegal things. And not just the regular wrong shit all Presidents do - bomb some innocents here, install a fascist dictator there, fund the odd terrorist then act amazed when they turn on you - but things that very much skirt the boundaries of active treason.

Seriously? This looks like a President actively trying to sell himself to a foreign government. And half the government woin't care because they've got their trunks in the trough so long as he stays there.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Wether or not cynicism is justified, we are a far cry from the 90’s when the primary feeling of the electorate was comfortable indifference and the discussion of politics was considered unseemly.

Wether the Senate will or won’t convict, there are clear grounds to begin an impeachment inquiry.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
Anyway, Q&A about what's happening in summary

From a paper outside the US electoral bubble.

It seems like there's enough smoke to be worth looking for a fire - enough to go around and check the doors anyway.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

There's been enough smoke to start an impeachment inquiry since basically the appointment of the Mueller investigation at the latest.
That article is really outdated already, given that they released the not-a-transcript of the phone call to Zelenskiy.  I'm not sure how anyone in the White House thought it would be a good idea to "get in front of the story" on this one.

The Acting DNI testifies before Congress tomorrow.  This is going to move very fast from here on out.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Hence the thread title. :V
A key question is if that Acting DNI is going to try and stall/lie further.
(09-26-2019, 05:40 AM)hazard Wrote: A key question is if that Acting DNI is going to try and stall/lie further.

I think you already know the answer to that.
The White House accidentally sent Ukraine talking points to Democrats -- then tried to recall them
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-26-2019, 06:25 AM)Matrix Dragon Wrote: I think you already know the answer to that.

Well, yes I have a few ideas about that, but that doesn't mean I'm right. I might get pleasantly surprised.
I suspect that the stonewalling will continue as long as the GOP "backroom boys" think it's in their party's interests to back the incumbent... and not a minute more.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
An american intelligence official confirms an abuse of power by the White House. Not just the President, but staff members going to considerable lengths to conceal it. Your President calls him a traitor and spy, mentioning that 'in the old days they were dealt with differently. Your President implies execution for someone upholding the oaths they swore to your government.

Meanwhile, our PM has spent the week with his nose planted firmly up the orange racists asshole. *Sigh*
One of the girls in a freshman level college course I took was an Englishwoman studying abroad, who made the rest of the class pause and give scandalized giggles as when asked about her opinion of then-current politics she declared "The only time Tony Blair doesn't have Bush's cock up his arse is when he's returning the favour." I do wonder what she thinks of the situation now...
--
‎noli esse culus
(09-27-2019, 06:54 AM)classicdrogn Wrote: One of the girls in a freshman level college course I took was an Englishwoman studying abroad, who made the rest of the class pause and give scandalized giggles as when asked about her opinion of then-current politics she declared "The only time Tony Blair doesn't have Bush's cock up his arse is when he's returning the favour." I do wonder what she thinks of the situation now...

America-British politics often have that feeling to it, although the utter mess that has been the UK for the past few years has had it balanced a lot more in the USAs favor. As for Australia, well we've always been the Little Bitch in the relationship, an unavoidable fact when you consider our relative economies, population and military strength. It's why we've always backed the US on its military adventures for the past eighty years, because like it or not, going with the flow has always ensured our safety from nations to the north, and that we won't suffer the fate of South America or Iran. But given Trumps behavior and attitude towards Americas allies, that old mutual understanding is nowhere near as secure as it used to be. Plus, there's a difference between being the smaller nation in an alliance, and the blatant cronyism Morrisons's been showing. The fact he acted like this the week Impeachment became a solid reality, and after all the shit that he's pulled in the past few weeks just makes it worse for him.
Just in case your eyes and hands are otherwise busy, Penguin Random House has released a free audio-book version of the whistle-blower complaint.
https://soundcloud.com/penguin-audio/the...ee-9262019

It is the revenge of radio these days in so many ways.
-Now available with copious trivia!
And both the transcript of the phone call and the complaint, which does not qualify as whistleblower,are available to read also. I will post them both shortly.

Now, as to why this doesn't count as whistleblower is because it is all HEARSAY. He admits in the complaint that HE HAD NO DIRECT KNOWLEDGE of the incident in question.

Edit: had to load it into my GDocs to be able to post them both but here:
The "Whistleblower Complaint"
The Transcript

Now maybe you can have some actual information rather than talking head bullshit
Currently writing BROBd

Doesn't matter if he's not technically a 'legal' whistleblower if what he says is true. Does it make any less of an impeachable offense?

actually Dartz, yes it does, because like the Dossier being a pit of lies and used to get a FISA warrant, anything it would turn up would be INADMISSIBLE and thus not able to be used in a trial

Also Dartz, it is a matter that quite frankly this "Whistleblower" is being used as a patsy, a stalking horse to try once again to overturn the 2016 election because it didn't go the democrats way. boo bloody whoo
Currently writing BROBd