Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why debating sucks
Why debating sucks
I have come to think that debate is agnostic to truth; it is a contest of rhetorical skill, no more or less.

“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
RE: Why debating sucks
Oh, of course it is. Debate clubs and societies routinely select the sides of a question at random; teams are supposed to be able to argue either side regardless of the proposition's truth or untruth.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yeah, pretty much what Bob said. This is why the more altruistic among the Democrats (and even a few Republicans!) have had so much trouble getting ahead: it's very difficult to sell the truth when the lie is far easier to swallow. Never mind the consequences - that's another topic altogether! </s>
Make debate great again: How bad political argument is undermining democracy

Set aside an hour to listen to the episode.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown