Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doom that Came to SpaceBattles
The Doom that Came to SpaceBattles
Well, looks like SB has begun the XenForo2 upgrade delayed by the problem-children PM scandal investigation thing. Hopefully the various fixes that have been ongoing for teething troubles on SV will already be included, but I still don't like how all the time stamps are "X minutes ago" until it gets to a full hour, and some of the layout differences that would look fine at full screen but make things awkward the way I prefer to have it at about a 5:3 ratio instead of 16:9. And some of the layout changes in general, like the timestamps being at the top of posts instead of the bottom, or how user profile pages are tabbed instead of linear and more things are unusably broken with JavaScript turned off, but meh. That's progress for you, and I can understand not wanting to let the forum software fall into "unsupported" territory given the size of the database and number of users.
--
‎noli esse culus
RE: The Doom that Came to SpaceBattles
Is anyone else still getting the in maintenance notice? I've dumped my cache files and tried going through the SB.com website path but the forums are still throwing up the warning
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Coming up fine for me now - no maintenance notice.
Yeah, it is back up for me now too. Time well wasted
Wolf wins every fight but the one where he dies, fangs locked around the throat of his opponent. 
Currently writing BROBd

Tongue 
(10-12-2019, 08:15 AM)Rajvik Wrote: Yeah, it is back up for me now too. Time well wasted
Is it just me or do the "Reply too Short" Warnings make you want to break out the random content generators to pad a post. (which is apparently against the rules.
Sad
(10-12-2019, 11:08 PM)itsune9tl Wrote:
(10-12-2019, 08:15 AM)Rajvik Wrote: Yeah, it is back up for me now too. Time well wasted
Is it just me or do the "Reply too Short" Warnings make you want to break out the random content generators to pad a post. (which is apparently against the rules.
Sad

Yeah, it's stupid, it doesn't work well if you take the basic security precaution of running noscript and encourages people to waffle instead of producing clear succint posts.
You can just overrule the warning you know?

It's a way to deal with spammy 5 word posts that offer no benefit to the thread, nothing more, nothing less.
Not if you have javascript turned off, you can't. And if you hit the Back button to add more stuff to your post, even though it didn't actually go through, it engages the 1-minute cooldown timer as if it had before it'll actually let you post.
--
‎noli esse culus
Why are you using a script blocker on SB? It's not like they're cramming advertisements and ad trackers down our throats. Xenforo is known for being pretty stable, and Xon would never implement a plug-in if he thought there was a chance it could do someone's computer harm, or at the least, break the website on a SBer's preferred web browser.
(10-14-2019, 11:43 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: Why are you using a script blocker on SB?  It's not like they're cramming advertisements and ad trackers down our throats.  Xenforo is known for being pretty stable, and Xon would never implement a plug-in if he thought there was a chance it could do someone's computer harm, or at the least, break the website on a SBer's preferred web browser.

Because I run the scriptblocker by default. I consider it a basic security precaution.
I run NoScript, Privacy Badger, and uBlock on every site.
SEZ
BZG
I use a script blocker on SB (and SV for that matter) because if I do not, the browser's memory use ticks up by about 500kb per second. I've only got a couple Gb of free RAM so things are tightish even without that, along with what others have said about blocking scripts by default as a basic security precaution.
--
‎noli esse culus
So, is anyone tracking SB's latest downtime? AIUI, for a server upgrade this time.

There's nothing on their Twitter feed ATM.
Over now, but I saw the notification before I wandered off to bed. Given the way it almost died completely for lack of physical access a few years back, I can only consider regular downtime for hardware maintenance to be a good thing.
--
‎noli esse culus
Hm, SV is in the midst of a scheduled server upgrade, but SB is also apparently having trouble, or at least is serving up Cloudflare error pages for whatever reason. Curious.

edit: And both are back now, with SB's issues apparently having been due to some kind of large write operation as part of database maintenance.
--
‎noli esse culus
Sounds like someone decided to do a full backup for what ever reason.