Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer
That would be an interesting booth to sit at - wonder who else is there

-----------
Thanks for coming everybody. This months town hall will be a little bit different

The results from the Setsuna committee are in.

I wish I had better news. This is a settlement that was effectively abandoned for most of a decade, then put back into service. Systems ran with minimal maintenance, or were barely run at all. Others are now operating at overload to cover systems stripped out a decade ago. Only now are we starting to catch up on things that needed to be done years ago.

If nothing changes, the MAGI predict the collapse of Frigga as a viable settlement in about three years. We're already seeing symptoms of it daily; power problems, life-support hiccups, and people getting their deliveries delayed because the MAGI are prioritising spare parts more and more. In twelve months, so much time will be spend on maintenance and repair, that new works will have to stop. Within two years, the environmental controls will be degraded to the point where it'll impact fresh water provisions, air quality and health a wellbeing. After three years time, the equipment failure rate will be so high that it'll force us to choose between heating, or eating.

That's if everything goes to plan, and we lose no other major plant items.

We also have three power reactors that are critically worn. Unit Three is mostly serviceable. Two has internal damage but is functional in the short term. Unit 01 will be shut down and stripped for parts when it reaches its next maintenance window. At that point, on two reactors, we've lost our maintenance reserve capacity, which impacts everything from food production, to work, to the basic necessities of life.

This is as bad as it gets. This is the sum total of a decade's technical debt. We are, almost, technically bankrupt.

But that's only if we do nothing.

We've six months. Maybe a year to turn this around.

I think we can do it.

Step one is Power. Power is everything. It's how we eat, how we sleep, and how we breath. It lights the Insolator in the farm. It purifies the air. It keeps the lights on and the water flowing. Our first aim, is to build a new, secure power source. Our reactors will be shut down. They will be replaced by something newer and more powerful, ensuring a security of energy supply

Step two is fuel. Most of our vehicles, the majority of our machines, burn diesel, kerosene or petrol. This suited when the power infrastructure had been ripped out and we needed to get to work quickly, using second hand equipment. It also means we go through air filters that should last a year, in less than a month. The majority of the oxygen produced on this station, is burnt. There's benzene and particulates in the water. The air will kill more people than the few microroentgen floating around. I've proposed to the Council that fuel use should be rationed, restricted and allocated by the MAGI, to phase-out combustion fuel within three years.

Step three, is reconstruction, re-using what we have as a foundation. We have a functioning power grid, based on mundane technology. There's a whole world of spare parts available. Replacing it would be too invasive. It works. With a secure source of power, we can supply electric locomotives, electric cars, electric machinery. We can expand the farms, build more insolators

To supply the grid we will build three new power reactors, to replace the fusion reactors we have decommissioned. One will be a test - a pilot. The other two will be the largest power reactors ever made in this universe. 7 Gigawatts of thermal power, each. 2 and a half Gigawatts of electric power. Enough energy to send five DeLoreans back to 1955 every operating second.

It can be done safely, and on time.

This is the MAGI's plan. It's bold. It's brash. It'll work.

Last year, we risked everything to save this place from being Pripyat in space. Why did we do that, if we're going to walk away now?

This will give us the power to revolutionise our world.

------------

----------------------------------
Catalog [2022-A]:
-Power and Energy
--Electricity Generation
---Atomic Power
----Nuclear Fission
-----Natural Uranium Reactors

Origin Line: KA-4476 - "Perestroika-4".
Origin Date: November 2019
Source: Archive of the Kurchatov Institute.

- 1.2 Технические характеристики реактора РБМК-2400п. В.И. Ленинская АЭС. Чернобыльский реактор 09 и 10
- 2.5 Эксплуатация реактора РБМК в экстремальных условиях
----- 2.5.13 Предлагаемые модификации реактора РБМК.
----------------------------------

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Situation Vacant] Reactor Chief Engineer - by Dartz - 11-25-2019, 05:45 PM