Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken "Rating" button
Broken "Rating" button
(10-26-2019, 04:05 AM)Over in Politics and Other Fun, classicdrogn Wrote: If the rating button did anything, I'd give that post full marks.
The rating button works fine if you use the MyBB Default skin - so its doing nothing is a skin issue.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Broken "Rating" button
Gah. If only I'd been satisfied with bright blue and white, half the user problems with the board would never have been at all.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'd have reported it in a non-facetious way except I leave scripts off by default so expect various things to be broken on web pages, and for such reports to be met with "just turn our scripts on, there's nothing malicious here, honest." Of course, such is probably the case the vast majority of the time, but even aside from when there is a problem my laptop only has ~2Gb of free RAM for the browser to live in at the best of times, and scripting eats RAM like locusts. As far as I'm concerned, for most purposes if a web site feature doesn't work without javeascript, the web site does not work. I am entirely aware that this is an unreasonable attitude to take from the point of site owners, though, so I usually only bring it up in a joking way.
--
‎noli esse culus
In this case, I checked - it's a skin issue, not a script issue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
OK, had to switch themes to rate a post.  The only one that works it the MyBB default.  But it looks like it's trying to work, right?

It sends a request to: http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/r...33&modal=1 and that gets back a valid response!  But what happens instead is that no Rate modal actually pops up, and I can no longer scroll the page.  So obviously something modalish is happening, but I can't interact with it.  Okay.

Let's investigate the page JS.  Looks like it calls reputation which calls popupWindow.  Right, this all looks like perfectly cromulent jQuery.  http://www.accessdenied-rms.net/forums/j...s?ver=1810

OK, inspected the page elements.  Aha, it actually appends the modal to the document.  Good!  But I'm not seeing it...  Toggling some CSS, turning off overflow: none.  Hey, there it is, at the end of the page!  Our reputation box.  But it doesn't have a close box.  Where is that?  Ah, here it is, halfway off the screen at the very top of the page, awesome.  Not working; not awesome.

So lets compare how it renders between the default and SanFelix theme.  OK, it looks like there's a CSS class ".blocker" so let's copy-paste that over...  Oh, hey, looks modalish!  Let's try clicking that big, beautiful close button.

> too much recursion

What?

OK, let's checkout the JS failure then... it's calling oldCloseFunction.  And above that we have a comment: /* add keepelement to jquery-modal plugin */
Now we're getting somewhere!

Let's look it up, and then look in the page... yep, that's the same CSS for .blocker I just saw.  Cool!  So all of the other themes are just not loading a plugin: https://jquerymodal.com

Actually, looking at the theme, it looks like the CSS classes are there. https://github.com/vintagedaddyo/MyBB_Th....xml#L1753 Can you try updating the theme?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
... Shite Labster. Way to rub in just how far behind the state of the rat I am. Sounds like you have a solid lock on the problem though.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
(01-23-2020, 11:19 PM)Star Ranger4 Wrote: ...  Shite Labster.  Way to rub in just how far behind the state of the rat I am.  Sounds like you have a solid lock on the problem though.

That’s not rubbing it in. Rubbing it in is pointing out that no one uses jQuery for new projects now, it’s like so 2010. Everyone moved to React or Angular, and have since moved on from them to Vue.
Quote:Can you try updating the theme?

Sure. I have a couple other maintenance tasks to perform on the boards this weekend, assuming I get the time, so I can do it then.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Well, I don't know about the buttons, but the "Rating" column in all the subforums I checked just now needs to be adjusted, as it's currently putting about one word per line and blowing up the page length like crazy.
--
‎noli esse culus
I don't see any words in the Rating column - just stars. You might want to check whether your privacy tool is blocking images.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm, might be keeping scripts turned off that breaks it...

...looks like, yeah. Well, I'll see if it makes memory use constantly increase to leave them on here.
--
‎noli esse culus
Did the theme ever get an update?

Also, unrelated: is there a reason why the private message space is limited? I'm using half my space, which is 100 messages. Seems like it's not disk space limited, it's message count limited. Just asking because most of it is writing collaboration, so I could delete eventually but I'd rather not.
You know, if I am recalling correctly, Bob at least at one point, made his living by writing JS. So, I would assume that there is a reason for all of this. Even if it doesn't make sense to those of us who never made a living writing Javascript or dBase queries?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
No, it hasn't gotten updated yet... I perfer to do these things early in the morning on weekends, the better to find a window with no one on except would-be spammers, and my weekends have been spoken for these last few weeks. I do have the new version of the theme, along with an update for the board software itself, that's waiting for me to have the time to install them.

Which is the reason for all of this. (And JS was never a primary part of my job; I basically know enough to do what I need to do and not much more. And it's not even that much of a part of my job now, as about nine months ago I was given our document imaging and processing system to oversee.)
-- Bob