Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
Not here... the images came back for me a while ago.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Could somebody who knows the answer reply to this one, please?

All I could do is make a MLP:FIM joke...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Discord is some kind of voice-channel social media thing -- I know it's used by online gamers to communicate vocally instead of using chat channels -- but it also seems to have become some kind general discussion "board" thing of late.

And I do not believe the wiki has one. Because we have our discussion boards.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Discord is more of a replacement for IRC rather than message boards. It's targeted mainly towards gamers and streamers, but it's so versatile and flexible that a lot of people use it just as a chat server, complete with channels and roles.

Basically, the people at Discord took IRC/voice chat and gave it a complete graphical user interface. The only time you need to bother with code is when dealing with bots.
I and Geth have been using discord for years.

It has decent screensharing/voice/video chat capabilities, but that side of it disregarding BA's good description of the text channels, is heavily dependent on the server region that you send, because otherwise voices sound like robotic autotune failures.

They also had a storefront for games but that went to shit predictably.
Is it just me or has the wiki been in slooooooooooooooow mooooooooootion for the last couple days?
-- Bob

I see the current version of the Talk pages doesn't like quotation marks or HTML-style markup - I get error messages when trying to use either.

Is this something that only I see, or is this worthy of a Phabricator ticket?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I was going to wait until I had a complete set before creating the "Musicians by decade" group of categories, but Bob forced my hand by creating three of them as generic categories. So, that's what I've been doing for the last little while (EDIT: along with replacing those three that Bob created).

Bob, do you know anyone to list under "Musicians of the 1900s" and "Musicians of the 19th century"? Between Louis Armstrong, Vera Lynn, and The Presidents of the United States, we've got at least one page in each category from the 1910s to the 2010s, so it's just the two earliest that need pages added to the categories.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Good question... Let me see. Off the top of my head, there's Scott Joplin -- he was a pianist as well as a composer, and having lived 1868-1917 would count for both. If you're counting singers as well, Jenny Lind would be another 19th century performer.

That's all I can think of right now, as I'm falling asleep thanks to a busy weekend.

Sorry to have added to your workload.
-- Bob

I'd have had to do it eventually anyway.

So, we need pages for Scott Joplin and Jenny Lind (and Jelly Roll Morton)...

Changing topics, is there a service out there that lists scammer sites that are camping on previously-legitimate URLs? I just discovered we were linking to a scam site from "Tucker's kobolds" - I pointed the link at the Wayback Machine before coming here to ask.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Al Jolson's musical career spanned 1902-1949.  John Philip Sousa started in the 19th.  Do composers count?  If so, Rodgers_and_Hammerstein needs to be added to the 1940s and 1950s.  Gilbert and Sullivan are 19th century.

You also might be able to farm this list, I noticed Fanny Brice on there which was a name I recognized, but a lot of these careers started in a time for them to later become film stars (i.e. post 1900) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_va...rmers:_A–K
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I defined the categories as performers (including singers), not composers -- but I won't stop anybody else adding the categories to composers' pages.

None of the performers that any of us have mentioned have pages... yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This list (just that one, not the others on the same page) is so close to being empty...

Should the various "Sliding Scale of..." and "Sorting Algorithm of..." pages listed there be Trope pages, Just For Fun pages, or something else?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
erik satie?
Do we want this for Creator pages?

It could be useful for disambiguation purposes... but populating the data might be more trouble than it's worth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Huh.

That is terribly obscure as a page element, but I can see the value in it. Call me a tentative yes.
-- Bob

if we can somehow tie/connect that to ATT articles that match wiki automatically.
Just a warning that the wiki is going to go down in a few hours, for probably about a month in duration.

Basically someone is threatening to sue me for libel, and I have no authority to edit that wiki. Since the only authority I have is ownership of the servers at this point, well, the servers are going to have to go down for a while.

I was hoping Miraheze Limited would be able to assume ownership of the wiki, but I've been told that's not the case:
Owen Wrote:Because as far as I am concerned right now, Miraheze Limited has no legal responsibility for Miraheze

I'll have to make sure that Miraheze Limited is really interested in running the wiki or just using the domain names for something else, it's really hard for me to trust them right now.
I see the wikis are still up (and I'm currently making a dump of the freebie wiki). Is this still something the rest of us need to worry about in the short term?

We should come up with a contingency plan for the wiki in case this happens again in the long term...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You probably don't need to worry for the short term, I'm just not sure what to do.  The current situation has been resolved, as far as I know.

Things were supposed to be transferred to Miraheze Limited, but at this point, I don't know that I can trust them to run the wiki farm.  So all of these pages on Meta about community director elections, well, they won't be moot per se, but if Miraheze and Miraheze Limited go separate ways, it may not have any bearing on running the wiki.  Or the community may end up forking.  I'm pretty unhappy right now.
I got a message from DocColress recently via email, wishing us all a Happy Holidays.

Doc is well aware that they still may not be welcome and thus merely emailed me their seasons greetings, which I informed Doc I'd pass along.

That said, as for TV Tropes, ATT, and even Doc's The True Tropes fork, I believe in the spirit of the season we should all get along and just wish the best holiday cheer for each other, because no matter what wiki we trope on, we are all tropers, and in that sense, regardless our ideological differences, we have that in common, and as for myself, I wish good cheer upon all tropers everywhere, may your holiday season be blessed with tidings of great joy.
Argh. There are either several someones or one someone under multiple IPs (151.227.140.105, 2A02:C7F:9871:9700:68FE:9FCB:4913:A0C1, 2A02:C7F:9871:9700:8940:A16E:1EB:26BD, and 2A02:C7F:9871:9700:40DF:1E75:7C41:EA76) who are enthusiastically adding new material to the page for The Sopranos with absolutely no concern for such things as punctuation, spelling, capitalization, markup, standard English usage, layout. If these new contributions weren't so horrendously written I would suspect they were lifted word-for-word from TVT, as they entered a trope we don't have twice.

Whoever they are, they appear completely unable to look at other trope entries and simply copy the markup. It's like they think it magically happens on its own.

While I've dropped messages on the talk pages for all those IPs, along with a threat of "get your attention" tempbans, I'd really like it if other folks helped me deal with the flow of verbal diarrhea this person or persons is spewing into the page.
-- Bob

Thank you, Rob! Why do I never remember I can protect pages like that?
-- Bob

Because we so rarely do that. Smile

Let's see whether a one-day semi-protection helps.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Our Clueless Contributor just hit Game of Thrones, Morality Pet‎, and Even Evil Has Loved Ones with a series of his distinctively inept edits. I've pre-emptively limited them all to autoconfirmed users. He's using some of the same IPs he used yesterday, but he seems so hard of thinking that it's hard to be sure if he's ignoring my attempts to communicate him or he just doesn't have any clue about or interest in what the alert and notice icons mean. If he keeps editing I'm going to start giving him attention-getter tempbans, though.
-- Bob