Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
Cool. Was on the forums through my phone when I asked; reading the the wiki through it ... I try not to.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Bob, you've already been the "tough cop" for this particular troper... Could I trouble you to repeat the performance?
https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...on=history

EDIT: Never mind - I see you already nuked the file.

And we really should figure out how to stop uploads that don't have license terms specified...
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
There is an extension to do this -- but Miraheze has declined to upload it because no one wants to bother doing the security vetting, as I recall.

Also -- We are not blocking anonymous forum posters! I just deleted a massive post of.... something made by an anonymous IP in the fourms.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I have no idea where to find the forum settings.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-20-2020, 09:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: I have no idea where to find the forum settings.

Brent, Geth?  Any advice?
-- Bob

(01-21-2020, 08:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 09:49 PM)robkelk Wrote: I have no idea where to find the forum settings.

Brent, Geth?  Any advice?

Miraheze needs to add a change for us via Phabricator to prevent that, their fine grained controls don't cover that loophole by default, more details here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiForum
Rob, you want to be the point man on this issue? Or were you point man on the last one? I forget.
-- Bob

I'm busy... Could somebody else take this one, please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-21-2020, 07:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm busy... Could somebody else take this one, please?

I got it.

https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T5140
Thanks, Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And task is closed as "Invalid" with the note "This can be done in ManageWiki". If someone will tell me where I can get to ManageWiki, I'll do it.

EDIT: ....And I found it, so no one has to point me at it, and I found the setting and turned it off.

While I was doing that, I found this setting on the same page ("Edit"), turned on:

Quote:Restrict Display Title
Restrict {{DISPLAYTITLE}} to titles that normalize to the same canonical database key. Wikis with NoTitle extension installed have this config unset.

Given how many times I've had perfectly good DISPLAYTITLEs rejected by the wiki, I'd like to turn this off. What adverse effects, if any, will it have, though?
-- Bob

Regarding the suggestion I made a couple weeks back about billing the folks being advertised by spammers... I just came across this blog post, and it seems to me that we could use at least some of the ideas under the section "Human-Sent Spam".

(The same author has a bunch of fanfic reviews along with his tech stuff, for those with multiple interests.)
-- Bob

(01-22-2020, 08:32 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And task is closed as "Invalid" with the note "This can be done in ManageWiki".  If someone will tell me where I can get to ManageWiki, I'll do it.

EDIT:  ....And I found it, so no one has to point me at it, and I found the setting and turned it off.

While I was doing that, I found this setting on the same page ("Edit"), turned on:

Restrict {{DISPLAYTITLE}} to titles that normalize to the same canonical database key. Wikis with NoTitle extension installed have this config unset.

Given how many times I've had perfectly good DISPLAYTITLEs rejected by the wiki, I'd like to turn this off.  What adverse effects, if any, will it have, though?
It would let any troper put any title he or she wants on any page he or she can edit, without renaming the page. Shall we have "Main Page" claim "Ropbkelk is a fucking idiot"? (spelling error intended)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yeah, I suppose there is that. <sigh>
-- Bob

(01-22-2020, 08:32 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And task is closed as "Invalid" with the note "This can be done in ManageWiki".  If someone will tell me where I can get to ManageWiki, I'll do it.

EDIT:  ....And I found it, so no one has to point me at it, and I found the setting and turned it off.

Given how many times I've had perfectly good DISPLAYTITLEs rejected by the wiki, I'd like to turn this off.  What adverse effects, if any, will it have, though?

Should be negligable. it sees no major use outside of the work pages for the most part.

Edit: Yeah, we could have the vandal garbage mentioned too if disabled.
Well, we tend to think the best of our users until proven otherwise. I'd like to move that we turn it off, and if we get vandal misuse, we just turn it back on.
-- Bob

As long as we have redirects and disambiguation pages in place. I copy the name showing on a page when I create a crosslink to the page, and I don't want what I copied to become a redlink.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm. That raises a good question -- do displaytitles automatically act as redirects? I'm going to have to do a little reading.
-- Bob

Is Nazi Gold a subtrope of MacGuffin? Or is it somehow too specific of a thing with a set of ethical implications?

EDIT: Displaytitles are not redirects. They were designed for pages like #GamerGate on Wikipedia, which can't have that title because `#` starts a URL fragment.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Quote:Is Nazi Gold a subtrope of MacGuffin? Or is it somehow too specific of a thing with a set of ethical implications?
That's a good question. I think it's the latter. By our own description MacGuffins are functionally interchangeable, but Nazi Gold has a whole lot of context and baggage that I think keeps it from being "neutral" enough to be a true MacGuffin.

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, though...
-- Bob

In fiction, Nazi Gold tends to be a MacGuffin - the history and lack of ethics behind it is almost never mentioned.

Saying as much in a way that doesn't upset somebody, though...

EDIT: Looking at the page as currently written, the description certainly says "MacGuffin" to me.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Miraheze is slooooooooow today - and All The Tropes is timing out. Anyone know why?

EDIT: Six minutes after I post that, Miraheze goes from slooooooooow to slooooow, and ATT starts loading again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looks like 502 and 503 is the wiki's way of telling me to take a break.

I got the "Uncategorized Categories" list down below 500 entries (most of which, I'm sure, actually have categories but aren't noted as such in the database because of one or another glitch), so the list now fits on one big page instead of three. "Uncategorized Files" is also down below 900 files.

I'm sure these would go faster if looking at a page didn't show me other errors that should be fixed...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Wiki's back.

Did somebody change a wiki setting? Typing "PUG" into the search box takes me to "Pug" with no indication that this was a redirect.

EDIT: And wiki's gone 503 again. RE-EDIT: And it's back again.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
503 a minute ago, but Recent Changes just came up while I was reading this thread.

Icons for message boxes and for page types like Useful Notes and Just for Fun disappeared this afternoon, leaving redlinks behind -- and no pages for the few images I tried to drill back to through those redlinks.
-- Bob