Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
Starting new thread.  Previous thread is here.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XV
I should have waited a few hours and started with content... Kuma is going to drive me nuts, between his/her absolutely abysmal writing skills but high productivity, and my own OCD regarding fixing bad writing on the wiki. I do not have the time needed to fix everything wrong with everything Kuma posts, and I am yea-close to spazzing out over it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
What's the consensus if I was to get a namechange on Miraheze?
A UserID change? It's your account, do what you want with it.

A wiki name change? We've got a lot of identity tied up with "All The Tropes" - I'd hesitate to throw it away.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
User (ofc)
"If you donate, let us know how you want to be credited for the donation."

My Miraheze userID will do.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Bug report: If you click on "Dark mode", green links go back to being blue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Conversational Troping" is when characters talk about tropes.

What's the trope where the conversation is the trope? (I want to add "Answers to The Name of God" to it.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I do not believe we have a trope or category like that. Time to come up with a name!
-- Bob

"Conversation as a Trope", perhaps?

"Stock Exchanges" to match "Stock Phrases"? ... No, too much confusion with a bourse.

EDIT: And, yes, a category makes sense for this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Speaking of Tropes"?

Nah, that's more like Conversational Troping.
-- Bob

Or simply Category:Conversations.  Either way, I think what you want should inherit from both Category:Scenes and Category:Dialogue; the latter has a bunch of tropes that should be moved into the subcategory, like:
Breaking Bad News Gently
Easily-Overheard Conversation
Duck Season! Rabbit Season!
Everyone Gets Their Turn (no examples here)
Just Between You and Me
Conversational Troping (the meta-example)
Seinfeldian Conversation
Scheherazade Gambit

Contrast with Category:Speeches and Monologues.  I'm starting to wonder if the whole of Dialogue should be a container category, but I'm not yet sure what the subcategories would be.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Look at me, opening up a discussion I didn't expect... again.

Maybe we should move this to the ATT forums so that everybody can take part.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ping Bob for this post - I could answer it myself, but not until tonight.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gah. I've been trying to deal with Kuma as little as possible because (s)he sets off my grammar OCD so strongly.
-- Bob

Huh.  Never saw this error before:

Quote:Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.
Try waiting a few minutes and reloading. For more information on this error please check out our twitter page (Twitter.com/Miraheze) or contact the system administrators by connecting to #miraheze on irc.freenode.net
(Cannot access the database: Cannot access the database: Unknown error (mediawiki-internal-db-master.miraheze.org))

This all by itself on a blank white page.
-- Bob

(11-12-2019, 08:29 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Gah.  I've been trying to deal with Kuma as little as possible because (s)he sets off my grammar OCD so strongly.

No worries - I found a moment at lunchtime.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's a pair of almost duplicate files... which are probably close enough to duplicate that I suspect Fair Use would only let us keep one of them.

Which one are we keeping: https://allthetropes.org/wiki/File:Spideykiss.jpg or https://allthetropes.org/wiki/File:Spide...ss_445.jpg ? Which one is closer to what the frame in the film looks like? (No, I don't own a copy to pop into the player and go look.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Spideykiss.jpg is just a slightly enlarged crop of Spider-Man_kiss_445.jpg. Keep Spider-Man_kiss_445.jpg.
-- Bob

Thanks. Spideykiss.jpg is now gone.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<takes off "Ultimate Authority" hat and returns to civilian life>
-- Bob

Two things, tonight:

One, God help me, I am going to reach through my monitor and throttle Kuma.

Two, Whyinhell is our logo missing?
-- Bob

Can't help you with the first.

As for the second... I see the logo just fine. But I recall that I didn't when Privacy Badger set itself to stop loading third-party trackers on the wiki. Check your anti-virus settings - something might be set to be too aggressive, giving you false positives on image loading on the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You're seeing the logo fine because it's in cache; it's on static-temp but not on static. Moving to a new file server has taken some time.
The move to the new file server was completed a couple hours ago for all wikis; let me know if you have any problems with missing images still.